Heirlooms

10/06/2011 02:47 AMPosted by Masojor
And before anyone starts running off at the mouth I do hold a Bachlors in networking and telecommunications. Yes, I would love to see BoAs able to be sent to other servers, however, currently the programming doesn't allow for that.

$25 says I can transfer heirlooms cross-server.
90 Night Elf Druid
You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail.

We understand we buy the one item. Unlocking it for an account isn't such a horrible idea. What if you put a one-use limitation on it? Unlock item on vendor. Gain a random passcode. Use code on a toon on another realm to retrieve the item. Stupid idea probably, but it's mine.
10/06/2011 03:15 AMPosted by Rokuro
And before anyone starts running off at the mouth I do hold a Bachlors in networking and telecommunications. Yes, I would love to see BoAs able to be sent to other servers, however, currently the programming doesn't allow for that.

That's also because your entire character file is copied and/or transferred.
10/06/2011 03:28 AMPosted by Snakpack

With the heirlooms along for the ride.
90 Human Priest
Hi, my name is Will. Yes, real life name. I have 9240 achievment points. Want to know who earned them? Willheal, my CHARACTER, not ME. Does that mean that every subsequent alt I make deserves the same rights? NO.

How greedy and/or lazy do you have to be to make this a 23 page post?

Yes I have alts, yes I have them sporting BoA gear, NO I don't complain about the lack of ability to send them to an entirlely different server... wtf. If you truly enjoy playing this game, why not put the effort forth to make it worthwhile to you?

If you think that because you reached end game on ONE player and think that entitles you to access to all of it on ANY player, you are seriously deluded.

Stop being lazy and just enjoy the game that we pay for. (some of us for 7 years)
90 Dwarf Warrior
10/05/2011 11:50 AMPosted by Kevyne
The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

And we know that it wasn't some "technical" reason it couldn't be done, too. If other MMOs can communicate and mail across different games (SOE and their games, for example), we know WoW and Blizzard's lineup can do the same.

It had to be a reason, from Activision-Blizzard, to not impliment this feature. Point blank.

Blizzard cannot take code from another MMO to place in and make the mail system allow people to mail cross-server. Each MMO has its own coding. To take code from one MMO and trying to just mash it into another is like trying to run a floppy disk in your CD drive.

Also realize this requires new lines of code, not alterations to code. There is no system for mailing cross-server, they have to make one. This isn't redecorating an existing room, this is adding a new addition to the building that is the in-game mail system.
True to that its about their INCOME....Get rid of the dang stuff its so unfair for NEW ppl and thats what Blizz WANTS RIGHT...they join go into a BG and get one shotted ALL the way to lvl 30 then its 2 shots till lvl 40 after that they leave and DONT RETURN. BALANCE THE GAME BLIZZ or suffer your INCOME...no more BOA its a dam waste of time and money...done with it!
moved to a better game^
Edited by Pawox on 10/6/2011 5:20 AM PDT
85 Worgen Druid

I think the fact that you guys have called these items Bind on Account leads to implications that it's account-wide. Heirlooms are clearly NOT account-wide items (without paying extra $ to make them so). But since you have called them that since day 1, that is why WE, the players, generally want them useable on our ACCOUNT, instead of a single faction on a single server.

Given that the expectation is that they are account items, I would think treating them like the various free pets would be the way to go (we could simply delete the extras we get with new characters). That functionality is already in the game, and it would mean the items actually acted like their description, even if it's not the way YOU at Blizzard would like them to act.

The system you describe (being able to mail across servers/factions to any of your own toons) would be a great one. But these heirlooms have been in the game for 3 years, labeled as Bind on Account, yet still clearly are NOT account bound.

That's why it rightly looks like making them act as they seem to be supposed to act looks to be "not on your agenda".

Somebody might have mentioned this already, but I'm going to make the point again, anyway.

All items, without exception, are bind-to-server. Thus, there is no moving of items between servers except by the paid character transfer. Some items have additional restrictions placed on them that further limit how they may be moved. Soulbound items are restricted to a specific character and cannot be moved at all.

Bind-on-account is not a permission, it is a limitation. It restricts movement of the item in question to other characters that are on your account. It goes without saying that the item can only be moved to other characters on that particular server, because that's the case for every item you have.

You aren't owed the ability to transfer your BoAs across server. Depending on how void storage works, you *might* gain the ability to do this, and if so, be thankful for it.

Otherwise, stop griping.

I love how people keep saying this, even though Blizzard disagrees.

The problem isn't the vocabulary used to describe the bind. We're using it in our arguments because of what the definition of "battle.net account" means to us, and not once has anyone from Blizzard said anything about not wanting to do it because of a fundamental disagreement about the definition of the vocabulary in the tooltip.

Only a few players seem to have invented this non-existent problem with the definition for the sake of being obtuse, so please stop it. Blizzard disagrees with you and is planning to make some changes to give us what we want.

We're merely upset about the fact that it's taken years to make it happen.

Edit: I think some of you might have missed this, so here it is again.

Hello all,

Zarhym here again. :)

So, after making a trip to the doctor and having some blood stolen, I stopped by Ghostcrawler's office to discuss this and other topics with him. We talked about some of the feedback in this thread, as well as the developers' latest thoughts on BoA and heirloom items.

Rather than potentially having my statements in this thread come back to bite me at some point in the future, I'm going to risk being confusing or sounding dumb. :p

In short, they agree that the process of mailing heirlooms around constantly is a little annoying. We'd prefer to try and work ourselves away from the method of mailing out BoA items in the future, like pets, mounts, etc. To that end, we have some design goals in mind that would improve this sort of item distribution system. And with those design goals have come some ideas for changing heirloom mechanics. This is sort of contrary to the idea I stated in this thread about just designing the system to allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions.

That's all of the information I can share at the moment, but I feel like it's worth pointing out that the design philosophy I stated earlier isn't so set in stone -- we're reevaluating these types of systems as we look toward the future. I apologize if I've caused any confusion.
Edited by Hydrax on 10/6/2011 5:30 AM PDT
85 Tauren Paladin
We spoke, they heard us--good enough for me.
85 Draenei Paladin
We just need a separate sort of heirloom tab, accessible account wide where we can access our BoA from any character on that account. I think D3 features a a similar thing.
85 Worgen Druid
10/06/2011 05:28 AMPosted by Astaldos
We just need a separate sort of heirloom tab, accessible account wide where we can access our BoA from any character on that account. I think D3 features a a similar thing.

From Z's last post, it sounds more like they're working on a system that would allow some types of items to be "granted" and used based on some unlocking mechanism for your account, which would be great.

I've always thought the mail system was a poor choice for distributing items that you've earned. Unlocking them for use would be much better, and lends itself to future improvements with achievements, items, pets, skills, et cetera.
90 Human Priest
nevermind, my post wasnt contributing for the greater good. I remove it from the record.
Edited by Willheal on 10/6/2011 5:41 AM PDT

With the heirlooms along for the ride.

yeah it's because the FILE is copied, my guess is probably manually copied
85 Draenei Paladin
10/06/2011 05:34 AMPosted by Hydrax

From Z's last post, it sounds more like they're working on a system that would allow some types of items to be "granted" and used based on some unlocking mechanism for your account, which would be great.

I've always thought the mail system was a poor choice for distributing items that you've earned. Unlocking them for use would be much better, and lends itself to future improvements with achievements, items, pets, skills, et cetera.

Even better, that way you can't accidently delete or whatever but I wonder how we'll be able to enchant these.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hello all,

Zarhym here again. :)

So, after making a trip to the doctor and having some blood stolen, I stopped by Ghostcrawler's office to discuss this and other topics with him. We talked about some of the feedback in this thread, as well as the developers' latest thoughts on BoA and heirloom items.

Rather than potentially having my statements in this thread come back to bite me at some point in the future, I'm going to risk being confusing or sounding dumb. :p

In short, they agree that the process of mailing heirlooms around constantly is a little annoying. We'd prefer to try and work ourselves away from the method of mailing out BoA items in the future, like pets, mounts, etc. To that end, we have some design goals in mind that would improve this sort of item distribution system. And with those design goals have come some ideas for changing heirloom mechanics. This is sort of contrary to the idea I stated in this thread about just designing the system to allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions.

That's all of the information I can share at the moment, but I feel like it's worth pointing out that the design philosophy I stated earlier isn't so set in stone -- we're reevaluating these types of systems as we look toward the future. I apologize if I've caused any confusion.

You, sir, are awesome. Kudos for (1) reading/absorbing customer feedback, (2) giving that feedback to the dev team, and most importantly (3) communicating the result of the conversation back to the customers.

This isn't even an issue I particularly care about, but the way you handled this thread makes me feel warm fuzzy things about you and Blizzard and even (begrudgingly) GC. I only wish we could see more of this type of communication on issues of e.g. class design.

edit: grr! Why do quotes keep losing their attribution?
Edited by Kaels on 10/6/2011 5:41 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]