Heirlooms

85 Dwarf Warrior
Sometimes i get irritable leveling a new character, just to test run it at 85. It sucks cuz leveling takes too long, and you cant test run a new class until it's 85.

As for the Heirloom thing, i kind of like having something to work up to, but again, it's not the BoAs that is my problem, it's the leveling process LOL
90 Undead Warrior
10/06/2011 07:42 AMPosted by Optiimus
I am as far away from a developer than anyone but looking at it i dont see how hard that would be changing the system or even developing a new system to be able to mail the boa's to another server.

Remember this one rule in life: Nothing is ever as easy as it seems.
90 Night Elf Druid
=)
90 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2011 05:56 PMPosted by Zarhym
This is sort of contrary to the idea I stated in this thread about just designing the system to allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions.

I'm really glad to hear this, because honestly this:

You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail.

Just sounded bonkers to me. There is absolutely no functional difference between giving us ONE item that we can mail around at will each and every time we want to switch characters, and giving us X items for each of our characters when we can only use one of them at any given time anyway (besides the fact that we'll have to re-enchant each of the X items rather than just enchanting the one item we send around, which is a small price to pay).

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
The assertions and bickering in this thread are comical. The hardcore whining doesn't solve anything. Here's a good guide:

1) This is the biggest MMO with a likely equally massive technical architecture that is almost 7 years old. It wasn't originally designed for cross-server interaction. Unless you've worked on systems like this, do not assume anything. Something as conceptually simple as sending mail cross servers could cost hundreds of thousands or even millions in man hours.

2) Assuming that because Blizzard is big, they have infinite wealth and should spend inifinite wealth on this game is bad. Blizzard is a business like any other, they have investment dollars going in that are hopefully being met with appropriate returns. Spending obscene amounts of money to get things done faster or to work on projects that don't make sense is bad business. Accept that Blizzard is a business with finite money to invest.

3) The same concept applies to game design principles. There's a reward system in place for acquiring Heirloom gear. Multiplying the heirlooms by sending a duplicate to every character has implications for that. (Not to mention, very significant space implications which are top of mind right now as Blizzard works to release Void Storage)
Edited by Mvura on 10/6/2011 8:40 AM PDT
85 Troll Priest
10/05/2011 07:23 PMPosted by Quard
So, after making a trip to the doctor and having some blood stolen

Was his name Dr. Acula? Because I don't think that's a real doctor.

;D
90 Human Warrior

10/05/2011 01:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
I just don't see why you guys don't like the idea of mailing them to each toon. Sure, it's messy, but i don't see how it's better than nothing, unless you want more people transfering toons. If it means i can have BoAs, i can live with deleting an extra 5 mails on a new toon.. I already get spammed by 3-4 pets anyway.

Look, we know people want to be able to send the BoAs they've earned to any character on their account. We want the same. But we have no intention of fundamentally changing the reward system just to work around the limitations of the current mail setup. The way a BoA item is obtained on a per-character basis shouldn't be trivialized just for a "quick fix." Not to mention that, even changing the BoA reward system to unlock for all of your characters an item you've purchased on one of them, would still be much more than an insignificant development undertaking.

This is how it needs to work (which is no different than the current functionality, with the exception of the cross-realm feature):

1) You earn the required currency to purchase a BoA on a character.
    2) You then have the ability to send that BoA to any character on your account with no realm or faction restriction.

In order to do that, some level of integration of in-game mail needs to be made so the system is cross-realm. Such a system doesn't exist. The WoW in-game mail system was designed from the start to be a realm-specific thing and has no "communication" across realms. That's what we need to change via some complicated programming -- like I said before, we don't want a symptom of implementing this feature to be that in-game mail is no longer realm-specific. Rather, we need a way for you to send yourself an item from one realm to another, but make that an exception to all existing rules/limitations of the current mail setup.

This is one of the many reasons why I love Blizzard. They're honest, and they do admit when they mistakes. Keep it up Zarhym, it's good to have you around. :)

85 Troll Druid
Guys, this can all be easily addressed.... here is my suggestion...

1. You guys made void storage, so dont say something like this cant be done...

Make some sort of global vault or specific heirloom bank thats accessable to all of your toons, on all realms and factions. If you want to give a toon the piece, stick it in the vault.

You guys have taken a game like Warcraft and made it a pioneer platform on so many levels... dont say its hard or you cant do it... I work in software development myself and we design leading edge software for a major industry... when we design something, we start with a white board, and Pie in the Sky mentality and bring it back to reality. We dont start at the bottom and work our way up...

So... make an heirloom vault visible to all factions on all servers...

Done.
Community Manager
Zarhym,

I doubt you'll see this and probably won't reply if you do, but....

I got a ticket to Blizzcon this year.

I hope you're there.

I want to shake your hand.

You da man, Z. Well, or you used to be...now you're a floating skull.

He'll be there as will we all at the "Ask Blizzard" booth we'll have. You're more than welcome to stop by.
73 Human Paladin
everybody knows if you use Heirlooms, blizzard kills a puppy

think of the puppies, don't use heirlooms
Guys, this can all be easily addressed.... here is my suggestion...

1. You guys made void storage, so dont say something like this cant be done...

Make some sort of global vault or specific heirloom bank thats accessable to all of your toons, on all realms and factions. If you want to give a toon the piece, stick it in the vault.

You guys have taken a game like Warcraft and made it a pioneer platform on so many levels... dont say its hard or you cant do it... I work in software development myself and we design leading edge software for a major industry... when we design something, we start with a white board, and Pie in the Sky mentality and bring it back to reality. We dont start at the bottom and work our way up...

So... make an heirloom vault visible to all factions on all servers...

Done.

So patronizing.

Does your leading edge software for a major industry have 8M plus users logging in to a vast number of machines across the planet on a regular basis? What does the software architecture of your development project look like? How many system are at play behind the scenes influencing what data and functionality the interface has available to it?

As a developer, you should be ashamed of yourself, thinking your one idea and inflated sense of your design process trumps what Blizzard brings to the table.
85 Night Elf Warrior
The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

In other words, you all would lose too much money from the lack of paid server transfers.
100 Human Rogue
I haven't read through the whole thread, so I apologize if any of this has been mentioned as it likely has. I think a simple solution is to have the items unlocked on the account. You could then roll other things into that system as well.

Heirlooms vendors are placed in citys and starting areas. Heirlooms can be purchased from those vendors after they have been unlocked. Many of the pets, mounts and loot code items that are currently mailed to your character could be integrated into the system as well. New characters could be sent a letter in the mail in game directing them to the vendor or listing the items available.

Unlocking an heirloom happens as it does normally now, except that you don't receive the item, you just unlock it. Right now, you purchase an heirloom and then mail it to an alt. With the new vendors, you simply walk to the heirloom vendor on your alt, and purchase the newly unlocked item for free.

There is also some cool stuff that can be done with archaeology that could be done to improve its appeal. Unlocking transmog items, upgrading current BoAs to 85, unlocking loot code items.

Tie it with an account wide achievement system, and now those achievement mounts and pets become heirlooms. Hell, have every mount and pet give 1 achievement point and you have a pretty clear way to track mounts and pets across characters.

No small matter I know, but there is some cool stuff that can be done, so long as time is taken to do it right.
The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

In other words, you all would lose too much money from the lack of paid server transfers.

I love how we as a species, when we don't understand things, resort to muckraking and tinfoil hat assumptions.
85 Troll Mage
So I didn't read through all of the post but I did read the OP and the blue responses.

What if Blizzard just made Justice Points BOA and if spent on one character it deducts from the account total? Most items bought with JP are either looms or very temp gear that we might use for all of a week or so anyways.
100 Dwarf Hunter
And here again is the problem ....blizzard had a good idea but they should of never opened their mouths earlier on and made the statement that they want heirloom gear to be able to move this gear between realms...they should of kept their mouths shut....if they didn't have any workable model in mind yet...then if they could find a workable model to do this then tell us....

We are going on almost 3 yrs of having this gear we buy for our alts....and still we can not get it to alts on other realms unless we fork out the $25 bucks to move a toon to that realm with gear on them...bottom line I see from all this ...is this .....they are holding out and waiting to see what happens ....they are still getting some money of folks that do a gear transfer via the $25 dollar move a toon to another realm....as others have mentioned its all coming down to money...or lack of money that blizzard doesn't want to lose with making this a non money transfer.

Same can be said why we can't more character slots per realm...why cause its money...and that was stated last year at the blizzcon by ghostcrawler....that if you want more toon slots per home realm ...buy a second account ....see they made it so we can link all our accounts to one battlenet account...so that second account can get the heirlooms to use too...by that little trick they did.

Again its coming down the pipeline its all about Money......
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]