Heirlooms

100 Blood Elf Rogue
10/05/2011 12:08 PMPosted by Shâde
Here is an idea from someone who has no idea about coding...but I think you might understand what I am hinting at...Make a bank for BoAs that is accessible to all characters somewhere in a major city.

/facedesk
100 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2011 12:07 PMPosted by Divinara
You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail.

Honestly, that's just not the way this plays out...

I can only play on one character at a time per account, then if I plan to play on one of my other characters that needs a BoA, I just mail that BoA to the character that I'm about to play. Thus in practice all my characters have all my BoAs and the current system is just a nuisance since I have to mail stuff repeatedly.

Worse yet, when I log back the next time (a day or week later), I have to remember where all the BoAs are that I want before I even start playing the game... this means another 5-10 minutes of mail shuffling just to get started.

I like the idea of buying a piece of gear that can then be freely purchased by all other characters on my account for simplicity.
Apparently you missed the part where Zarhym said that heirlooms are earned by individual characters. It's not account-wide.
100 Blood Elf Rogue
10/05/2011 12:10 PMPosted by Firestyle
PvP realms should have a faction segregation, PvE realms should let all players raid together. That would be epic and really improve a lot of servers raiding quality. It would probably be the single best thing that could happen to improve PvE.

Sir, I believe you are in the wrong thread.
15 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 12:07 PMPosted by Andrealock
I think what the OP is getting at is that there is one than one way to skin this cat and at some point the deliverable should take precedence over your preferred method.

Totally disagree.

Let them do it the way Blizzard wants because it's the right way. Do NOT do it in a substandard/compromised way because people are too impatient.
85 Worgen Druid
I think regardless of technical aspects, their Design Philosophy is that X amount of JP provides you with one item that you can move around but still own that one item. It's not giving you access to unlimited copies of them.

That being said Archeology items tend to be BoA. Would they be under the cross-realm BoA umbrella?

P.S. Put it in perspective: Just imagine archeologists complaining that they have to send their zin'rokh back and forth on characters and re-enchant it with something different. "I dug for days and only got 1 sword why can't I just unlock a rare artifact for everyone!?"
85 Human Paladin
Apparently you missed the part where Zarhym said that heirlooms are earned by individual characters. It's not account-wide.

??? Zarhym was saying that spending my honor or justice points or whatever entitles me to just one item...

While that's "Technically" correct, the way it plays out is that all my characters are always entitled to that piece of gear because I can only play one character at a time.

My mage & preist are currently naked because my warlock is using the BoAs... but as soon as I decide to jump back on my mage... he's not going to be naked anymore. As such, forcing me to mail the BoAs back and forth is just a quality of life thing.
Edited by Divinara on 10/5/2011 12:16 PM PDT
15 Tauren Paladin
I understand what you're saying--but what I don't understand is why you feel that way. Being able to send one item to any character on your account is fundamentally the same as having every character have their BoA mailed to them, or have every character be able to get it. The difference comes down to a quality of life change, to be honest. Once you can send them to any character, it's a small step to just have every character be able to grab one from Orgrimmar.

Because you are buying a single instance of an item. An item that you can enchant. The other name for BOA gear is Heirloom gear... heirlooms are passed from one person to another. That is the basis for this gear... it's supposed to be "unique" gear that you pass on.

I get why people want a buy one, buy multiple scenario: they're lazy and/or impatient.

Doing something right sometimes means it takes longer than some impatient people are willing to wait for.
100 Dwarf Shaman
10/05/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Zarhym
I honestly don't buy the "It's a technical limitation" line. They can flag an account to have pets sent to each character when it's made, something similar can be done with BoA's, they just don't necessarily see it as important. "Technical Limitation" = "Not on our agenda"

What you're describing are two incredibly different mechanics which require very different technical solutions. Yes, we can mail you an item to every existing character on your Battle.net account. But purchasing a BoA item doesn't result in the item being mailed to your character; nor should it, as we're not going to mail every character a BoA item you've purchased on one character. The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

Why not make it so when you purchase an item, you aren't buying the item right then and there, but you are "unlocking" it for the account.

You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

I understand this, but I really dont see why it needs to be this way. Once you buy a boa item, mailing it back and forth is little more than a tiny inconvenience. I really don't see how it would hurt the game in some way to allow you to "duplicate" the item instead of mailing. The net effect is the same, with the only difference being that you don't have to mail it when you log off one toon and onto another. Mailing is instant, so you can use the same item on 2 toons at the same time as it is very easily. Making you mail it is just an inconvenience, and something which makes cross realm a lot more difficult than it needs to be.
15 Tauren Paladin
My mage & preist are currently naked because my warlock is using the BoAs... but as soon as I decide to jump back on my mage... he's not going to be naked anymore. As such, forcing me to mail the BoAs back and forth is just a quality of life thing.

And the limitation that's preventing you from grinding honor/justice points to buy multiple sets of Heirloom caster gear is... what?
85 Tauren Warrior
10/05/2011 12:17 PMPosted by Holyfrikncow
I understand what you're saying--but what I don't understand is why you feel that way. Being able to send one item to any character on your account is fundamentally the same as having every character have their BoA mailed to them, or have every character be able to get it. The difference comes down to a quality of life change, to be honest. Once you can send them to any character, it's a small step to just have every character be able to grab one from Orgrimmar.

Because you are buying a single instance of an item. An item that you can enchant. The other name for BOA gear is Heirloom gear... heirlooms are passed from one person to another. That is the basis for this gear... it's supposed to be "unique" gear that you pass on.

I get why people want a buy one, buy multiple scenario: they're lazy and/or impatient.

Doing something right sometimes means it takes longer than some impatient people are willing to wait for.

Just like running to the instance was doing it right and the meeting stones are for the impatient people. It's simply a quality of life improvement even if it doesn't go cross server.
90 Worgen Death Knight
I see the "duplicate" heirloom thing thrown out a lot. Let's ignore design philosophy and look at justification.

People throw out the anniversary pet, Collector item pets, and Blizz Store pets. All are initiated by an external source and not by the character. Anniversary pet, it appears to check if you are eligible, probably based off achievement and mails it to you as you login. The pets, the Bnet/login servers flags our account as we go into the server and triggers it.

Armory is just a message sent to another computer at log out that dumps all our character info.

Other than in game mail, there is nothing triggered by one character that affects another.
85 Human Mage
I posted this idea a while back and it didn't get many responses, but I still support it. Flagging an account for access to certain heirlooms does seem easier than implementing cross-realm mail, and saves the player work to boot. The only drawback I can see so far is that you might have to separately enchant every copy of your heirlooms (it might be awkward for the game to remember what enchant you have on your heirlooms, plus you may want different enchants on different heirlooms).

But I think it's a good idea all in all, if blizz cannot get cross-realm mail up and running.
90 Orc Mage
10/05/2011 11:44 AMPosted by Elphis
I love how people with no technical knowledge of this specific set-up start yelling that it can't possibly be complicated at all.
15 Tauren Paladin
Just like running to the instance was doing it right and the meeting stones are for the impatient people. It's simply a quality of life improvement even if it doesn't go cross server.

I'm sorry, did you need to grind honor/jp to use meeting stones? Yes, there's life improvement, but there's also a thing called "doing the work" if you want multiple items.

If you're going to come up with an example, use something that's actually comparable.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Seriously? Seriously.

Okay, listen. Yes, obviously it's easier for us if we get a 'flag' that let's us get all BoAs on all characters instantly.

That is *deliberately* not how it works. You have to buy/earn *each* BoA. it is *then* sendable.

They *want* to make it truly sendable anywhere, it's just technically difficult.

They specifically WILL NOT make it a one-time purchase flag. And I agree with that decision. It would be idiotic.
15 Tauren Paladin
I posted this idea a while back and it didn't get many responses, but I still support it. Flagging an account for access to certain heirlooms does seem easier than implementing cross-realm mail, and saves the player work to boot. The only drawback I can see so far is that you might have to separately enchant every copy of your heirlooms (it might be awkward for the game to remember what enchant you have on your heirlooms, plus you may want different enchants on different heirlooms).

But I think it's a good idea all in all, if blizz cannot get cross-realm mail up and running.

Blizz WILL have cross-realm mail up and running, it's just not up and running NOW.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]