Heirlooms

90 Tauren Warrior
01/20/2012 04:18 AMPosted by Solaru
There is enough tin foil in this thread to keep the world supplied with Reynolds Wrap for 100 years.

Reynolds?...I think they are using the sucky store brand :P
Yeah I'm pretty sure most of it is the 50 cent for a 1000 feet dollar store brand. :) Shiny wrap brand or some crap lol
85 Orc Death Knight
That's not a technical limitation, that's a setting.

Citation needed.

Unless you have worked extensively on WoW...I highly doubt you can say that as a fact.

You used to be able to trade items in battlegrounds waaay back when. Blizzard quickly noticed goldsellers using this to their advantage and turned it off. Are you so dense that you think Blizzard designed the game in such a way that they can't change basic settings like that?

You can sell items you brought from outside an instance to a vendor inside an instance. That means the game has the ability to save an item brought from a specific realm to a general battle group instance on an npc.

Duh...

Do you think this game is run by magical voodoo rituals with no way for Blizzard to control what's going on? Do you think there's some fundamental difference between a bank npc and vendor npc? It's all settings.

There's definitely a technical limitation with the in game mail system as far as cross realm BoAs are concerned. But there's more than one way to accomplish the same task. Blizzard just doesn't want to do it.
Edited by Gorlaktuk on 1/20/2012 4:35 AM PST
85 Tauren Paladin
Necroing or not of a older thread...so what when the concept of giving a way to obtain heirlooms first came out many years ago in LK exp..we were told back then by blizzard and their dev team we would be able to mail them cross realms...and to this date we still can't...but we can get lots of cute pets sent to our mail boxes on other realms when we make a new toon....not everyone has tons of money to throw around to make new toons on new realms...by transferring a low level with those items on them.

The idea or thoughts brought up at blizzcon last year of allowing us to have up too 50 toons per realm might helps this whole situation blizzard has not worked out yet for us...as it stands now we can have up to a max of 10 toons per realm but with MoP coming out we have a 11th race/class....

You really don't understand nor care what the forum guidelines say, do you? Necro'd thread is necro'd. This dates from 10/5/2011.

Enjoy the read: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900930866

Do not "bump" posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called "necro bumping" or "necroing").

I've underlined the important part you want to read.
01/20/2012 04:27 AMPosted by Gorlaktuk
You used to be able to trade items in battlegrounds waaay back when.

Way back wen, you were limited to people in your Battlegroup. This might have been something that the connectivity of the battle group allowed. Now that we were liked by datacenter and now buy the entire Americas & Oceanic content servers (4 different data center's spread 1000s of miles away from each other), that connectivity might not exist.

Are you so dense that you think Blizzard designed the game in such a way that they can't change basic settings like that?
No, just more eduicated on the situation than some.

You can sell items you brought from outside an instance to a vendor inside an instance.
That does not mean squat. The things one vendors might be something attached to the character while it is logged in. If you will remember until recently, those items disappeared once you logged out. This new functionality might be due to the work they have been doing to get account wide items into the game.

01/20/2012 04:40 AMPosted by Titron
You really don't understand nor care what the forum guidelines say, do you? Necro'd thread is necro'd. This dates from 10/5/2011.

That info in the guidelines may no longer be up to date...
It's still a relevant topic, so I'd rather not discourage people from using the search feature to find threads already in existence.
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/215509-account-ignore/

I think they might be moving to something along the lines of bring a relevant thread like this back is ok, but a thread about wanting arrangeable characters on the log on screen would not.
Edited by Solaru on 1/20/2012 4:53 AM PST
90 Worgen Rogue
It's quite possible, and I may have been misunderstanding, that the limitation lies in how to set it up so that people can only send specific items cross-realm. Blizzard doesn't want you sending everything you have (gold, boe pets, boe gear, crafting mats) from server to server, as this would nullify the already existing economic balance of all servers.

For instance, Random Person A, who only cares about making gold in game, goes from server to server until they find that Server T sells Fathom Eels for 30 gold a fish, and Server I sells Fathom Eels for 2 gold a fish. Random Person A then creates a lowbie character on Server I, mails themselves 500 gold and buys a whole bunch of Fathom Eels. They then create another lowbie character on Server T, and mail all those Fathom Eels there, where they sell them for 25 gold a fish (saving the people buying the fish 5 gold per fish, but still netting himself 21 gold in profit - because the AH will, of course, take their cut as well).

So a bunch of you are probably going "Well, what's wrong with that though?". And I would suggest, that instead of spending all your time looking at programming manuals (probably upside down, because a lot of you really do seem that special) and coming up with your conspiracy theories about Blizzard and capitalists, you spend a little bit of time studying economics. Or, if you're too lazy to do that, read the financial section of the newspaper for a week. Global economies tend to tank on a global scale, and in fact they are right now.

And while this is just a video game, picture each realm as it's own little country. We don't want our server economy crashing because some idiot over on a different server decided to flood the market with the 5000 Inferno Rubies he's been accumulating since Cata came out.

So until Blizzard can come up with a way to backtrack through an old system, and set it up so that only specific items can be mailed cross-realm, we're just going to have to be patient. Yes, it sucks... I hate that I have to buy another set of Shaman BoA's, because I idiotically left my already existing set with a lowbie on another server when I transferred all of my mains. But that's my mistake, which I can either wait an indefinite period for Blizzard to change, or I can just go and grind out the points and gold to buy another set, and ultimately, someday, end up with two complete sets sitting in one bank somewhere.
90 Tauren Warrior
Actually as far as trading things in a BG goes way back when, we were all from the same server way back when. Thats how I could play the same AV for days in a row. Once it became cross server the trading ceased.

Yes I think the server farms (data centers) are all ran by magic. In fact I actually work at a server farm and thats what we use is magic. Our CCNR's and SSNR's all have mana pools in them so our casters dont run low. All this stuff is changed by simply flipping light switches on the wall, Blizz is just lazy.
90 Goblin Rogue
What I don't understand is why we have to mail heirloom items to our alts in the first place since we can only play on one character at a time.

They should just show up along with other mailed items when you create your character, like collector's edition pets for example.

Bind-on-Acount isn't Bind-on-Account, but moreso Bind-to-Realm under the current system.
84 Human Death Knight
What I don't understand is why we have to mail heirloom items to our alts in the first place since we can only play on one character at a time.

They should just show up along with other mailed items when you create your character, like collector's edition pets for example.

Bind-on-Acount isn't Bind-on-Account, but moreso Bind-to-Realm under the current system.

Except is it is still bound to your Account. You can't give it to character that isn't a part of your own account. The designation is still valid and it's not Blizzard's fault people are seeing a lot more than there really is to it.
1 Worgen Hunter
You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Okay this is where I have to dust off this account and step in. Blizzard has made the biggest MMO in existence. You can't sit there and tell me that you don't realize that you're doing this the hard way. Mailing heirlooms is a fundamentally flawed and clunky system. Trying to keep this broken system instead of just using a more efficient system altogether is what is BS.

Listen, you keep sidestepping this. Yes Mailing cross-realm is a huge technical hurdle, so don't do it! Instead get those well-paid systems designers to make something like this:

1. Earned enough JP on one character.
2. Go to merchant and choose which heirloom to unlock.
3. Tell game. XX account has +1 XXX heirloom available.
4. Log into another character on another realm.
5. Go to "New Heirloom NPC"
6. "Hello New character this what you have available from your ancestors!"
7. Select from the unlocked inventory limited in quantity by the original number of unlocked pieces.
8. I unlocked Discerning eye of the beast twice so the NPC allows me to take 2 and NO MORE.

Did I have to go and program a WHOLE ROUNDABOUT cross-realm mail system? No.

The fact that you are trying to use white glue to build a house when you have perfectly good nails and screws really gives us the impression that you are 1. Making up excuses and sidestepping the obvious solution. 2. Incompetent.

...and I don't think you make an MMO as successful as WoW with incompetence....right?
100 Dwarf Paladin
10/05/2011 01:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
In order to do that, some level of integration of in-game mail needs to be made so the system is cross-realm. Such a system doesn't exist. The WoW in-game mail system was designed from the start to be a realm-specific thing and has no "communication" across realms. That's what we need to change via some complicated programming -- like I said before, we don't want a symptom of implementing this feature to be that in-game mail is no longer realm-specific. Rather, we need a way for you to send yourself an item from one realm to another, but make that an exception to all existing rules/limitations of the current mail setup.

Seems to me like you need a new system. Maybe a repository for any non-soulbound item that any character on your account can access?
90 Human Warrior
I have a good idea.

If we can't them "unlocked" and have every character have them, why not actually have an "account backpack" where instead of unlocking it, you buy a BoA, it gets sent to your "backpack", and you can send it to any character in any realm?

Then once you are done with the heirloom, you could mail it back by typing in your battle.net account or have a button to send it back?
85 Worgen Druid
03/01/2012 12:59 PMPosted by Ophaelius
You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Okay this is where I have to dust off this account and step in. Blizzard has made the biggest MMO in existence. You can't sit there and tell me that you don't realize that you're doing this the hard way. Mailing heirlooms is a fundamentally flawed and clunky system. Trying to keep this broken system instead of just using a more efficient system altogether is what is BS.

Listen, you keep sidestepping this. Yes Mailing cross-realm is a huge technical hurdle, so don't do it! Instead get those well-paid systems designers to make something like this:

1. Earned enough JP on one character.
2. Go to merchant and choose which heirloom to unlock.
3. Tell game. XX account has +1 XXX heirloom available.
4. Log into another character on another realm.
5. Go to "New Heirloom NPC"
6. "Hello New character this what you have available from your ancestors!"
7. Select from the unlocked inventory limited in quantity by the original number of unlocked pieces.
8. I unlocked Discerning eye of the beast twice so the NPC allows me to take 2 and NO MORE.

Did I have to go and program a WHOLE ROUNDABOUT cross-realm mail system? No.

The fact that you are trying to use white glue to build a house when you have perfectly good nails and screws really gives us the impression that you are 1. Making up excuses and sidestepping the obvious solution. 2. Incompetent.

...and I don't think you make an MMO as successful as WoW with incompetence....right?

Blizzard is hiring people like you.

Of course, we all know you have no real clue about the problems Blizzard is having with their current system, and you're just giving another backseat driver opinion.
100 Blood Elf Hunter
03/01/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Cyberg
Of course, we all know you have no real clue about the problems Blizzard is having with their current system, and you're just giving another backseat driver opinion.

The problem with the solution Blizzard has, which is cross-server mailing the BoA items to other toons, is that the Servers are not able to communicate with each other that way. It is impossible for them to do that as it stands.

An alternative has been given, and a Blue post simply states they don't want the duplication of the BoA item.

What is wrong with duplicating the item for MY account when I EARNED it? Why do you Devs have to do this ultimately the hard way which will take well over one years time to develop?

Why not suck up your pride and take into account that it will not be possible to Cross-Server Mail anything for the next 1-2 years while you have an entire line of staff working on it daily?

Why, Blizzard?
90 Draenei Shaman

10/05/2011 01:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
I just don't see why you guys don't like the idea of mailing them to each toon. Sure, it's messy, but i don't see how it's better than nothing, unless you want more people transfering toons. If it means i can have BoAs, i can live with deleting an extra 5 mails on a new toon.. I already get spammed by 3-4 pets anyway.

Look, we know people want to be able to send the BoAs they've earned to any character on their account. We want the same. But we have no intention of fundamentally changing the reward system just to work around the limitations of the current mail setup. The way a BoA item is obtained on a per-character basis shouldn't be trivialized just for a "quick fix." Not to mention that, even changing the BoA reward system to unlock for all of your characters an item you've purchased on one of them, would still be much more than an insignificant development undertaking.

This is how it needs to work (which is no different than the current functionality, with the exception of the cross-realm feature):

1) You earn the required currency to purchase a BoA on a character.
    2) You then have the ability to send that BoA to any character on your account with no realm or faction restriction.

In order to do that, some level of integration of in-game mail needs to be made so the system is cross-realm. Such a system doesn't exist. The WoW in-game mail system was designed from the start to be a realm-specific thing and has no "communication" across realms. That's what we need to change via some complicated programming -- like I said before, we don't want a symptom of implementing this feature to be that in-game mail is no longer realm-specific. Rather, we need a way for you to send yourself an item from one realm to another, but make that an exception to all existing rules/limitations of the current mail setup.

We understand that, but there is also precedence for the OP's proposal:

When I get exalted Hyjal rep any character on my account can now purchase the Arcanum of Hyjal. That's one aspect of the OP's proposal: unlocking the ability to purchase a vendor item unlocks it for multiple characters.

When I reach level 55 on any character I can make a death knight on any realm. That's the second aspect of his proposal: unlocking an ability on one realm applies across all realms.

The OP proposes that those two existing mechanics be combined to unlock heirlooms across multiple realms. There may be internal considerations to which we aren't privy that makes this much harder than it sounds, but conceptually the proposal is sound.
1 Worgen Hunter

why were you reported?

What?
58 Blood Elf Death Knight

why were you reported?

What?
That bio symbol next to your post up there indicated that someone negatively reported you. They may just want Blizz to see your post as fast as possible so they can go "........That is a good idea."

Which btw. Did you put this idea in another forum? I swore I saw this idea before recently.
Edited by Alkasha on 3/2/2012 6:23 PM PST
85 Orc Death Knight
oogity boogity
13 Goblin Warlock
This sounds like an issue that may be fixed with the intended redesign of achievements. I really hope that achievements become account bound, for a lot of reasons, but not least of which is because I'm an altaholic.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]