Heirlooms

85 Troll Rogue
Posted by ZarhymYes, we can mail you an item to every existing character on your Battle.net account. But purchasing a BoA item doesn't result in the item being mailed to your character; nor should it, as we're not going to mail every character a BoA item you've purchased on one character.Basically, why the hell not? It's not *that* messy. I know you guys like to release things when they're "ready"... but it feels like you're getting stuck on the peanuts. Stuff like this hasn't stopped you before. (See: Al'akir lacking unique voice acting, Sylvanas' unique model taking a few years..etc).At the end of the day, it seems like the pros far outweigh the cons, unless i'm forgetting something really, really important (that's not financial, ie transfer $$).Details plox?

You're missing his point. They want you to have to PLAY THE GAME and earn JP for each item you buy. They don't want you to be able to equip BoA cloth shoulders on your Priest, Mage and Warlock all at the same time unless you've paid for the item 3 times.

They don't want you to find "Ring of the boy Emporer" from archaeology on 1 toon that does archaeology, and have it on every single caster class you have on battle.net. They want you to have to mail it around.

The idea behind making heirlooms cost JP is so that you'll have a reason to PLAY THE GAME or keep playing it i.e. running dungeons when you would have otherwise quit. I'd imagine that they'd make the mailing of said items cost JP rather than 30c to be in line with this train of thought.
90 Night Elf Hunter
What if BOA's were handled the way characters themselves are.

Its my understanding that toons are transferred from realm to realm by "replicating" them on the destination server and deleting them on the realm of origin.

As you know, the player initiates this process by making a request on their account page, paying a fee, and accepting restrictions such as cool-downs, etc.

Could BOA items be handled this way?

A player would go to his/her account page. From there select the "BOA Transfer" tab. A dialogue box asks you to identify the character currently holding the BOA. A drop-down asks you to select the BOA (or BOA's) you wish to transfer. Once that is selected the page asks for the destination server and destination character.

You pay a smaller fee than you would if transferring a whole toon (micro-transaction) and an hour or so later the BOA disappears from the origin realm and appears on the destination realm.

Idealists might be disappointed that a micro-transaction is involved rather than it being "free" but personally I'd prefer this to what I do now - leveling a disposable toon from 0-10, putting the BOA in that "mule's" bag, and shipping the whole courier toon off at a cost of $25.

EDIT:

If the system would have difficulty identifying BOA's entirely though a web page drop down menu showing realm/character holding the item/BOA name (as described above) perhaps the player could go in-game on the origin realm and "deposit" the BOA with an NPC who will place it in a "trans-dimensional shipping container" (interface similar to the void storage vendor)... then to their account page to complete the transaction.

Once something is deposited with the shipping vendor, the "shipping container" would appear on the existing realm transfer page similar to the way characters eligible for transfer are displayed.

After the transaction was complete, the player could then log onto any of his/her toons on the destination server and visit a counterpart vendor to pick up the "shipping container" including the transferred item(s).
Edited by Nymph on 4/2/2012 4:57 AM PDT
90 Tauren Shaman
I still think this topic is relevant. My question is, since it was necro'd will it be deleted? And you guys who posted in it today had really good points. I really like your idea Nymph.
87 Blood Elf Paladin
10/05/2011 11:24 AMPosted by Fanahlia
I honestly don't buy the "It's a technical limitation" line. They can flag an account to have pets sent to each character when it's made, something similar can be done with BoA's, they just don't necessarily see it as important. "Technical Limitation" = "Not on our agenda"
Not sure how much you know about systems development, but we're not in the 1980s anymore where one geeky dude sitting in a dark corner codes a makeshift solution and then shoehorns it into the overall system.

Too many people who've taken a few programming courses and database class seem to think they understand how this stuff works. Well, I know how to use a hammer and lay concrete, but does that mean I can build the worlds next tallest skyscr<em/>aper? No.

No one outside of Blizzard knows how their existing systems work. No one outside of Blizzard knows exactly how Blizzard does systems development. And we can only guesstimate how many other things are on their plate. Give how much bickering and complaining about this or that happens in the community, I can't see Blizzard getting to a new feature like cross-realm heirlooms anytime soon.

Good work Comrade Fanahila. You will be rewarded for your loyalty(note fanboyishness).
29 Undead Mage
10/05/2011 12:06 PMPosted by Alansi
Deadhorse, you around?

Glad you could make it!

He's an imposter.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I'm hoping that Blizz can get a start on this issue. Clearly the World of Warcraft community is very interested in having a cross realm heirloom system. Maybe by MoP we will see some sort of progress. It cannot be that hard to produce a system that would allow cross realm heirloom transfers.

Please Blizz, send a couple of your thinkers on this subject
First off I just want to apologize for the snipping if it offends anyone but I wanted to stick to the relative points clearly.

...<snip>
The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

Usually this is why teams have leaders, or project managers, section heads... what ever you would like to call it. Sure some teams or members of teams may disagree how to implement something, but when it comes down to it, shouldn't the project manager make the final decision? That's their job after all, why else are you paying them?

<snip some more>

What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Personally this appears very much like a cop-out. The current system in place can already distinguishe me mailing something to a friendly person or not and disalows non-friendly mail - UNLESS - it is an heirloom item. Conclusion the mail system can detect if an item is an heirloom. It should not be too hard to implement a drop down box in the send mail tab that only appears when heirloom type items are present. it would contain the available servers you could send too. I'm sure I could write an interface in flash that did similiar, and I'm no where near as skilled as the staff at Blizzard ( I believe). As a side note, aren't those new /rnd dungeon satchels bind to account? I can mail those to my other characters also. Seems like the system isn't just hard coded for heirlooms, as it stands for inter-character items (though I haven't tried opposite faction yet suppose I should) All I'm saying is that it appears the mail system can destinguish between BOA and non BOA, as opposed to just the heirlooms being hard coded for mailing. I just don't see the huge hurdles that Blizzard is portraying. If really the hurdles are as large as made out to be, perhaps some retraining might be in order?

Simple Math (boolean I think) A = item for mailing B = Server C = character name D = target account owner E = Sending account owner

if ( A = BOA && E = D )
{
Mail permitted to be sent
}
else
{
print screen "Nice try buddy"
}

B and C don't even need to be included in the mail rule but have to be referenced to obtain E and D.

<Snip Again>

Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

I think this response is true as per the question asked, but the majority of players (correct me if I'm wrong) are interested more in single character heirloom item transfers vs multi. It's sort of side stepping the issue.
Edited by Hurtzðonut on 4/12/2012 10:59 PM PDT
90 Troll Shaman
10/05/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Zarhym
Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

You could go with the token system...

After Buying a BoA on one realm you could then turn in said BoA for an "account token" that you could then redeem in game and have it be mailed to another realm with say a 7 day cooldown, that way you can move BoAs cross realm but the system cant really be abused by sending items constantly and you only keep the one BoA

but thats just one suggestion ive thought of a while ago...
Edited by Streetguru on 4/12/2012 11:43 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I think more people would play WoW if they could just transfer the BoA from a server to another. I wanted to change server and play with some friends (lvling up and so) but ppl who already have mains there have BoA which makes it frustrating to play especially PvP.
From what i read here you already can have a system to transfer them just for some reason you find excuses not to try. Even the Pandaria beta has a character copy system, why not make an item copy system?
Or a few more ideas:
- change the way BoA are for the game and make them as pets are and just get them with every character created ( you can make a system to unlock those either JP or just having a main character lvl 85 like you had with the DK in Wotlk where a lvl 60 char was required)
- why not make a system where the low lvl chars created can earn those till lets say lvl 10 (PvP) or 14 (PVE - instance access), a new set of quests or something new that will unlock them; it can be different for every class ( this one sounds fun )

The real problem about this is the game is that it has become very unbalanced just because of those items and you ( Blizzard ) really have to see this as a priority. I am sure I can't see the whole picture but I am just trying to help and come with some ideas about it.
and after all BoA =binds on account so just by that I want to use those on my account not on my first server where I had a main ;)
thank you for reading and hope something will be done about it.
Edited by Sadics on 4/12/2012 11:59 PM PDT
60 Blood Elf Death Knight
In regards to the Heirloom gear with the XP bonus .... remove these items from the game

Most people who purchase these items wish to level their toons as quickly as possible to reach cap ... and if this is what they want then just give it to them already.

Heirloom items cause huge imbalances in the game - just look at any levelling BG or dungeon.

As we all know Blizzard can grant level as seen by SoR and RaF

So if you already have a max character create a better method in allowing additional characters to levelling quickly. Enable within battlenet via account management to use existing currency (ie gold / VP / JP / Honor / etc) to purchase levels. No mailing items needed here whatsoever. Place some restrictions like max levels that can be puchased is 60 levels ... and Bobs your uncle!

No more imbalanced BG's ... a level 24 character getting 1 shot by a level 20 characer ... I mean who wants to die in 1 hit ??

No more unrealistic dungeon runs ... a BoA DPS characer tanking dungeons and asking whats a tank spec is when he hits level 85 ... and then you wonder why people fail at end game dungeons so much :/

And no more ... "I can't mail my Heirloom" threads :)
85 Worgen Rogue
I just don't see why you guys don't like the idea of mailing them to each toon. Sure, it's messy, but i don't see how it's better than nothing, unless you want more people transfering toons. If it means i can have BoAs, i can live with deleting an extra 5 mails on a new toon.. I already get spammed by 3-4 pets anyway.

Look, we know people want to be able to send the BoAs they've earned to any character on their account. We want the same. But we have no intention of fundamentally changing the reward system just to work around the limitations of the current mail setup. The way a BoA item is obtained on a per-character basis shouldn't be trivialized just for a "quick fix." Not to mention that, even changing the BoA reward system to unlock for all of your characters an item you've purchased on one of them, would still be much more than an insignificant development undertaking.

This is how it needs to work (which is no different than the current functionality, with the exception of the cross-realm feature):

1) You earn the required currency to purchase a BoA on a character.
    2) You then have the ability to send that BoA to any character on your account with no realm or faction restriction.

In order to do that, some level of integration of in-game mail needs to be made so the system is cross-realm. Such a system doesn't exist. The WoW in-game mail system was designed from the start to be a realm-specific thing and has no "communication" across realms. That's what we need to change via some complicated programming -- like I said before, we don't want a symptom of implementing this feature to be that in-game mail is no longer realm-specific. Rather, we need a way for you to send yourself an item from one realm to another, but make that an exception to all existing rules/limitations of the current mail setup.
Didn't you fundamentally Change how pallys are played and adding holy power charges? Check, Check, One Two.
Edited by Alanamoon on 4/13/2012 1:34 AM PDT
90 Dwarf Paladin
04/13/2012 01:33 AMPosted by Alanamoon
Didn't you fundamentally Change how pallys are played and adding holy power charges? Check, Check, One Two.

Umm, wow. Do you really not see the difference between changing a class mechanic and adding a whole new functionality to the game?

In short, by adding Holy Power they were working within the available space that they'd already created.

By making it possible to move things between realms or move them around on an account they're going to have to make an entirely new kind of system. New technology, new software.

See the difference there?
85 Worgen Rogue
04/13/2012 01:46 AMPosted by Genrik

Umm, wow. Do you really not see the difference between changing a class mechanic and adding a whole new functionality to the game?

In short, by adding Holy Power they were working within the available space that they'd already created.

By making it possible to move things between realms or move them around on an account they're going to have to make an entirely new kind of system. New technology, new software.

See the difference there?

Sniff. Sniff. I smell a troll under that helmit.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]