Heirlooms

90 Dwarf Paladin
04/13/2012 01:55 AMPosted by Alanamoon
Sniff. Sniff. I smell a troll under that helmit.

You don't know what a troll is then. (Admittedly, that comment was a little trollsome)
90 Night Elf Death Knight
In regards to the Heirloom gear with the XP bonus .... remove these items from the game

Most people who purchase these items wish to level their toons as quickly as possible to reach cap ... and if this is what they want then just give it to them already.

Heirloom items cause huge imbalances in the game - just look at any levelling BG or dungeon.

As we all know Blizzard can grant level as seen by SoR and RaF

So if you already have a max character create a better method in allowing additional characters to levelling quickly. Enable within battlenet via account management to use existing currency (ie gold / VP / JP / Honor / etc) to purchase levels. No mailing items needed here whatsoever. Place some restrictions like max levels that can be puchased is 60 levels ... and Bobs your uncle!

No more imbalanced BG's ... a level 24 character getting 1 shot by a level 20 characer ... I mean who wants to die in 1 hit ??

No more unrealistic dungeon runs ... a BoA DPS characer tanking dungeons and asking whats a tank spec is when he hits level 85 ... and then you wonder why people fail at end game dungeons so much :/

And no more ... "I can't mail my Heirloom" threads :)

Please start a balance thread to talk about this, do not fill this one up with your unhelpful comments.I believe there are many ways to implement a system with the systems you already have built in the game, and that this should be fairly easy to create, once your MIT computer science graduates start thinking about it
Edited by Xist on 4/13/2012 8:26 AM PDT
85 Goblin Priest
No more unrealistic dungeon runs ... a BoA DPS characer tanking dungeons and asking whats a tank spec is when he hits level 85 ... and then you wonder why people fail at end game dungeons so much :/

Well... Before to get BoA gear.. you had to be level 80 right? so uhm You should know what a tank is.
what i think they should do if possible is. If you stick a Bind on Account item in the mail box it activates a whole new mailbox system and if a normal item is put in with it it becomes locked until either the boa or regular item is removed. to either return to normal mail mode or boa mail mode. now this boa mail mode does what your battle net account does. it detects what characters you have across the realm and instead of having the option to type in the recipients name it has an arrow next to the send to box. when you click the arrow down should pop a scroll-able box with the list of your characters names and their realm. Just click 1 and hit send.. maybe make the charge in this mode to send the special boa mail cost more like a gold or something as 'flat rate possible long distance mail' lol who know. I'm not saying its easy or hard for this ... just simply suggesting at i felt at the its a possible system that "could" work. Maybe... maybe not.if not with the same mailbox as regular mail then possible have a special 1 boa mailbox in each city or a few whatever would work if possible. and to reduce hastle for you guys if it deos then still allow mailing BoAs to the character on the same realm (if there are seperate mailboxes via one boa box and the regular ones idea) that mailing through the regular box with boa's can be done to onley that realm. Who knows these 2 ideas may work... or may not... if it deos you may have alot of excited customers if not. They are already used to the idea(most of them) that you cant send boa's cross-realm.

If its workable let the blizzard bosses know somehow. If not I would think its a similar tie up as before.... I understand.

Thanks for reading.
as you can see above the post i just listed an idea they would deffinately put them in a place were they would have have to create a new system which may be pretty difficult. Alot more work than it may be worth who knows?
90 Blood Elf Rogue
In regards to the Heirloom gear with the XP bonus .... remove these items from the game

Most people who purchase these items wish to level their toons as quickly as possible to reach cap ... and if this is what they want then just give it to them already.

Heirloom items cause huge imbalances in the game - just look at any levelling BG or dungeon.

As we all know Blizzard can grant level as seen by SoR and RaF

So if you already have a max character create a better method in allowing additional characters to levelling quickly. Enable within battlenet via account management to use existing currency (ie gold / VP / JP / Honor / etc) to purchase levels. No mailing items needed here whatsoever. Place some restrictions like max levels that can be puchased is 60 levels ... and Bobs your uncle!

No more imbalanced BG's ... a level 24 character getting 1 shot by a level 20 characer ... I mean who wants to die in 1 hit ??

Then what the hell is the point of having a levelling system in the first place?
Heirlooms are a perk, not a giveaway. Buying levels is no better than hiring some chinese gold farmer to level your character for you. It's a retarded idea to think that Blizz would allow this and take away basically all aspects of the game as a whole. NOBODY would be experiencing low level content. Battlegrounds are unbalanced now? If 85's could buy levels then there wouldn't BE ENOUGH PEOPLE for BG's in the first place. Dungeon finder would take hours, and it would fail harder because of the resto druids with cloth gear trying to tank.

Tl;dr: Heirlooms =/= skill/intelligence level. I've seen level 85 hunters with strength bows and 0 heirloom gear.
85 Worgen Priest
Yeah it sucks that we must pay to get our BoE's on a new realm, but Blizz has more important things to deal with than changing a whole system to incorporate this idea.

Either way, most people only play "competitively" (cant think of another word) on one server, thus they wont really need to do cross realm BoE mailing. Blizz wont change a whole system to incorporate this idea for a portion of the WoW community.

I would love it too, but just deal with it.
14 Draenei Hunter
I like the whole "unlock it for all realms" idea, from the OP.

Kind of like how once you have 1 avatar at least level 55, you can create a death knight on ANY realm. One I get my Heirloom staff, I can the run to SW/ORG and get said staff just because its already unlocked. Make it so you can only have 1 of each loom on a realm.

For example, I go get my staff on one guy and try to get it again it wont let me till I delete that staff that's already on the realm then I could go get another one. Also make it so they are still mailable to each avatar on said realm so i don't need to delete and re-pick one up.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Then rename it INstead of Bind on Account lets be honest and call it a "Server Item".
90 Human Mage
It be nice if they would just tell us if they have any plans in place for next expansion if they going to have the ability of cross server heirloom trading
85 Dwarf Hunter
Blizzard will never let us do it because they make too much money off of transfers. Mark my words. They will hide behind their 'technical limitations' forever.
Look, we know people want to be able to send the BoAs they've earned to any character on their account. We want the same. But we have no intention of fundamentally changing the reward system just to work around the limitations of the current mail setup. The way a BoA item is obtained on a per-character basis shouldn't be trivialized just for a "quick fix." Not to mention that, even changing the BoA reward system to unlock for all of your characters an item you've purchased on one of them, would still be much more than an insignificant development undertaking.

This is how it needs to work (which is no different than the current functionality, with the exception of the cross-realm feature):

1) You earn the required currency to purchase a BoA on a character.
    2) You then have the ability to send that BoA to any character on your account with no realm or faction restriction.

In order to do that, some level of integration of in-game mail needs to be made so the system is cross-realm. Such a system doesn't exist. The WoW in-game mail system was designed from the start to be a realm-specific thing and has no "communication" across realms. That's what we need to change via some complicated programming -- like I said before, we don't want a symptom of implementing this feature to be that in-game mail is no longer realm-specific. Rather, we need a way for you to send yourself an item from one realm to another, but make that an exception to all existing rules/limitations of the current mail setup.
I have very limited programming experience, but I would suspect that the cross-realm mailing would be the hard part - limiting what can be mailed should be easy. here's some pseudo-code:

boolean IsAccBound(int ItemNumber){
//obviously, made up numbers - this is a test of an item being account bound,
//or otherwise allowed to be sent across realms
if ItemNumber == 49845 || ItemNumber == 49478 .... then
return true;
else
return false;
}
int SendAccrossRealm(int[][] ItemMatrix){
//row 1 of ItemMatrix corresponds to each item number in the mail
//row 2 of ItemMatrix corresponds to the quantity of each item in the mail
for x = 0 to columnspan(ItemMatrix)
if IsAccBound(ItemMatrix[x][0]) == False then
{
cout<< "You cant send " + GetItemName(ItemMatrix[x][0]) + " across realms, doofus!";
return 0;
}
end
call MoveAccrossRealms(complicated variables,...);
return 0;
}

Again, it's been a while - but this part seems easy. The actual moving across realms looks to be the hard part...
Edited by Normalice on 4/18/2012 2:10 PM PDT
Am I missing something? Is there some way to log on with two characters at once that I'm not aware of? Why else would limiting the number of copies of heirlooms you can have once you've purchased one be important?
Blizzard... Please type up an official statement and STICKY it. I swear this topic comes up twice a day...
88 Undead Warlock
04/18/2012 02:15 PMPosted by Normalice
Am I missing something? Is there some way to log on with two characters at once that I'm not aware of? Why else would limiting the number of copies of heirlooms you can have once you've purchased one be important?

Think of it this way, you earned enough JPs to buy an epic from the vendor, now you wouldn't expect to have a copy of that for each character would you? It's the same concept (Blizz, correct me if I am wrong) that you are earning that ONE item, the fact that you can mail it as much as you want is a perk.

Now my suggestion and I really hope Z or someone else from Blizz will respond in regards to it, is this: A mix of previous ideas, there was the mention of making a duplicate for every character, well how about instead of the item being duplicated an item that allows you to summon/teleport to a vault that is universal to the account, restrict it kind of like void storage and maybe make only BoAs allowed in it? This way the item is not being duplicated and you don't really have to mess with the mail system. Now I am not sure how much of a technical problem this would be in comparison to making mail cross realm but wanted to throw it out there.

Edit: Make the mailed item available once the first BoA is purchased.
Edited by Domias on 4/18/2012 2:24 PM PDT
04/18/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Domias

Think of it this way, you earned enough JPs to buy an epic from the vendor, now you wouldn't expect to have a copy of that for each character would you?
True, but if I could mail the epic to my alts on the same account, I would wonder why not. May as well save me the 30 copper.
85 Dwarf Hunter
WHU
So here is my question. Can you send a BOA to a toon on another realm? If so how.

I wish you could do like ToonName@RealmName in your mail for account bound items only like leveling gear. would be awesome
90 Draenei Shaman
This is an argument Blizzard refuses to be honest about. If only one toon can be on at a time, and you can have all of your toons on one server, then this - in theory - is already happening. The only thing the OP is suggesting is a work-around for the ludacris loophole that was almost certainly a bug, and was retcon'd to be "working as intended."

If I'm wrong, then why did they call it BoA not BoS? Because they meant for a BoA and realized thats a lot of work.

What they're opposed to now is that the OPs suggestion looks like you got 20 items. You didn't. If you allowed it to create 1 per server there wouldn't be an issue. Not only is this logical but it backs up Blizzards already existing philosophy of Bring the Player, Not the Class.

Who earned these "Justice Points?" Did Thundahstahm earn them? Or did I earn them? Because no matter which way you answer, you're either going against your own game design philosophy or you're supporting the OP.

So which is it?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]