Heirlooms

62 Dwarf Hunter
But purchasing a BoA item doesn't result in the item being mailed to your character; nor should it, as we're not going to mail every character a BoA item you've purchased on one character. The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

Zarhym, this doesnt make sense to me. Right now, if we want to use a new alt, we have to log into the previous alt that had all the heirlooms, and then mail them to the new alt. It's a waste of time because we have to do it every time we want to play with a different alt.

In Diablo 3 the gold and the artisans are shared to fix this issue. So why not do the same in WoW?
Edited by Bramthor on 10/5/2011 12:46 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
Thank you for yet another well pointed and completely reasonable response on this topic, Zarhym. I think a lot of the issues people are having with this, are that the date at which a feature like this will be implemented has yet to be determined. In the meantime, players have two choices: suck it up and not use the BoAs they have earned to level a new character on another server, or pay $25 and transfer a character over with said BoAs.

Speaking from personal experienced, I am somewhat of a altoholic. I have two servers that are maxed as far as the number of characters they can have, and each one is either a finished twink or an 85. I have BoAs just sitting around not being used, and other servers I would love to have them on. Yet $25 is not within my budget currently, especially when I am paying for multiple accounts each month (immediate family plays too).

It seems to me that we need a more temporary solution until you guys can flesh out the development of that much anticipated feature. If I may make a suggestion, how about flagging each B.net account for a one-time BoA transfer, made possible by opening an in game ticket? I understand that any other solution would likely involve dedicating more company resources than is feasible atm, with other game titles and Blizzcon on the horizon.

This way, we could utilize existing means to temporarily solve the problem and relieve some of the pressure being put on you guys (and gals) for answers.

l8trz
Edited by Bobbyjoealex on 10/5/2011 12:50 PM PDT
90 Goblin Hunter
10/05/2011 12:34 PMPosted by Stoutlager
While that's "Technically" correct, the way it plays out is that all my characters are always entitled to that piece of gear because I can only play one character at a time.

Multi boxers would like to say "hello".

I fail to see the logic behind this post, as multi-boxers inherently require the use of MULTIPLE accounts, each account would have to have UNLOCKED the item.

I don't understand the "NO DUPLICATES FOR ALL YOUR CHARACTERS" argument, as I can only be logged onto 1 character on my account at any given time, therefore if I already own the item, I technically own it on all characters for that realm, *cough*mailbox*/cough*

I do have programming knowledge, in fact I'm studying Genetic Algorithms, so I at least have some sense of the tediousness of the fix they WANT to make, but they could easily cook up some half-baked plan to hold us for now. Besides, it's not like it would be the first time they have done it.
Community Manager
And we know that it wasn't some "technical" reason it couldn't be done, too. If other MMOs can communicate and mail across different games (SOE and their games, for example), we know WoW and Blizzard's lineup can do the same.

It had to be a reason, from Activision-Blizzard, to not impliment this feature. Point blank.

Hello? Is this thing on?

Testing. Testing. Check one.
86 Dwarf Hunter
10/05/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Ocon
I fail to see the logic behind this post, as multi-boxers inherently require the use of MULTIPLE accounts, each account would have to have UNLOCKED the item.

You can have multiple game licenses under one battlenet account. Most BoAs are battlenet account-bound, not WoW account bound.

Edit: My first first :D
Edited by Stoutlager on 10/5/2011 12:48 PM PDT
Also, to clarify for the vast majority of forum readers who have never worked on a large software system: When they say it's a technological issue, they don't mean that it's something that no one has figured out how to do, ever. What they mean is that it's something they can't figure out how to do in the context of their existing software infrastructure, without rewriting a very large portion of it.

This is something that may be difficult to understand intuitively if you've never actually had to deal with it, but sometimes things that seem like they should be easy, and which would be easy if the existing infrastructure had been built in a different way, turn out to be surprisingly difficult given the actual infrastructure you have to work with.
84 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2011 12:41 PMPosted by Fanahlia
Either build a good system the first time or don't waste company labor, time, and money.

It boils down to two things:

how important it is. If it's pretty high up on the list (i think the time sink BoA's alleviate qualify. That's a huge amount of time), it's worth it, even if it's not efficient.

And how much time it actually takes. If they've actually thought of this, and it would take an absurdly long time, just say that.

Speaking in high level terms-- like what everyone has done in this thread-- inherently makes assumptions about things. I'm not here to say with assuming is right or wrong, but usually in the professional world, you bring along an engineer to tell you whether an assumption is correct. "Getting my heirloom to another realm while following these rules" sounds easy from a high level. From a engineer's perspective, he or she is going to say this: "getting my heirloom to another realm" means socket-based networking, connecting at least two databases. Networking is going to mean either a private network which will be secure but will cost us because we have to buy network usage from another company, or we could use the internet which is free and fast, but not always stable nor is it secure. "While following these rules" means sitting around a table and hashing out what those rules are. That process-- of hashing out rules-- may mean even more complex programming.

I'm not at all trying to say that it's easy, or anything. I just want to hear the reasoning on why they won't try other aspects. The only thing we've gotten a solid answer is the crossrealm communication one. There are other options. If they're not viable, i'd love to know why. But it should be for a good reason, not "this is our only idea".

It's completely possible there are multiple quirks stopping implementation. But pretending there's only one way to skin a cat is disengenous(sp?), or willfully ignorant.

I purposely tried to piggyback existing systems for that reason, but without actually working there, i obviously can't give details. Zman can.

Someone in another reply implied that this should be a band-aid solution. No it should not. Band-aids are the bane of all system developers everywhere. They are temporary and never flexible, and they end up causing problems down the road.

The game is made up of band-aids. ;(
85 Blood Elf Paladin
All this mumbo jumbo about technical difficulties and "it's too hard to program" really just sound like background noise while the glaring reality is "We are making millions of dollars from people transferring toons across servers with NO overhead costs." Blizzard is not in the habit of taking their hands out of our pockets once they're very firmly grubbing our money out of them.
84 Night Elf Druid
And we know that it wasn't some "technical" reason it couldn't be done, too. If other MMOs can communicate and mail across different games (SOE and their games, for example), we know WoW and Blizzard's lineup can do the same.

It had to be a reason, from Activision-Blizzard, to not impliment this feature. Point blank.

Hello? Is this thing on?

/waits for Zarhym to hold the microphone up to the speaker.

90 Draenei Death Knight
why not add an heirloom storage locker that is accessible on all characters, that you can only put heirlooms in? Or add an heirloom tab to your personal bank that is linked to all characters?
Ugh, please don't spam my mailbox for a new character with BoAs I don't need/won't be able to use. Please do it the right way. Take your time, figure out how to send it via the in game mail system and I'll send it to the character I want. Otherwise I'll just be deleting useless BoAs that get mailed to me if you follow the 'advice' of some of the people in this thread.
85 Draenei Shaman
Can't you make the X-realm mail so that it only allows BoAs? From what I understand, I can mail my BoAs to my X-faction toons on the same server yet I can't mail them gold and/or other items. That really shouldn't be cited as a reason for not being able to send cross server.

As for the second idea, I do not like duplicating the items, but if that was the case you could simply make them unmailable (New word?). This way you assure that a toon is not using two BoAs that have simply been duplicated, such as weapons. Or you could make them unique, so once again it is a null point.

As for "earning" or "unlocking" a BOA, it amounts to the same thing. We have the BoA, we purchased the BoA, and the concept I get from it is that it's meant to be shared to all your toons - so where is the hangup? Do you see some fun factor in individually sending each piece through the mail instead of auto receiving it or picking it up from some NPC similar to Blizcon goodies? Because I see Fun Factor Zero in not being able to use the BoAs I put time into on another server simply because you can't stop scratching your collective heads to figure out a way to do this when a number of valid ways have been suggested already (ways that would not need a significant system overhaul if current systems already implemented are an indication).
90 Tauren Paladin
Sorry but i still don't buy it. I bet you guys liked when we transfered toon to another server, pay you $25 so i could have a good start on the new server. I paid, i'm ok with it and i'm not complaining that I did, because it was my own decision to transfer. Although i don't believe that is so hard to make the changes.

Also i agree that when you buy a boa shouldn't "unlock it" but to mail to another toon in a different server should be an option in game, not a $25 option.
Edited by Bullvar on 10/5/2011 12:54 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
10/05/2011 11:50 AMPosted by Kevyne
The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

I GOTS MA TIN FOIL HATs RIT HEER! 5000g each.
10/05/2011 12:49 PMPosted by Kirigi
All this mumbo jumbo about technical difficulties and "it's too hard to program" really just sound like background noise while the glaring reality is "We are making millions of dollars from people transferring toons across servers with NO overhead costs." Blizzard is not in the habit of taking their hands out of our pockets once they're very firmly grubbing our money out of them.

Stop and think for a second. Do you really think that many people transfer their heirlooms all over the place? Wouldn't that just be one of many many reasons to transfer a character? Do you really think there's someone sitting behind the curtain, tapping his fingertips, cackling about his Heirloom Character Transfer Extortion Scheme (HeCTES!).

Just like the other 50% of posters in this thread with absolutely no technical experience making some /tinfoil hat assertions, the reality is there are probably a LOT of reasons that hardly intersect with your Matrix understanding of developing technical systems. You know nothing. Do yourself a favor and pay attention to what Zarhym is telling you. If you work or have ever worked in an environment with development happening, this same thing comes up EVERY DAY.

You're just trying to put the problem into your massive lack of understanding on the subject and failing to grasp just how much information you don't see or understand here.
Edited by Mvura on 10/5/2011 12:58 PM PDT
I think just enabling cross-realm mail would be a partial solution, but I believe there's still a cross-faction limitation to that.

The cross-realm mail could be tied in with the cross-realm dungeon code, and perhaps enable through that functionality (maybe with a 24-hour delivery instead).

In the days of yore, when we could only do one faction on a server, the cross-faction mail question was fairly moot, but today it would raise a limitation in how this system could operate while keeping that limitation in place.

Sending to Bob@Muradin from Gentrysbear@Drak'thul could be (relatively) easy to accomplish, but the checks and balances to prevent cross-faction mail, and the expectation of instantaneous messages between alts would raise additional challenges.

While there would likely be an intial disruption to some server economies by enabling cross-realm mail to carry anything, it is likely that it would settle out relatively quickly (perhaps even enhancing the experience). I could see a situation like in Runescape where there would be "Trade Worlds", where the AH on these popular realms become the "preferred" channels.... the answer to that of course would be an all-realm AH...
Edited by Gentrysbear on 10/5/2011 1:01 PM PDT

Hello? Is this thing on?

Fair enough that people keep harping on the technical issue they don't understand, but is Blizzard listening to the OP's idea since it's giving people effectively the same benefit as they get now?
90 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 12:51 PMPosted by Taeonas
why not add an heirloom storage locker that is accessible on all characters, that you can only put heirlooms in? Or add an heirloom tab to your personal bank that is linked to all characters?

i like this...
85 Goblin Warlock
wow I was just looking for a post about this, or going to create one.

There must be something blizzard can do..

I personally have my account with 10 level 85 toons on one server... and I did end up paying to transfer heirlooms over.... before I had the head/back heirlooms...

and I'm not transferring again just to bring over some items. I dont understand why they say battle.net account bound when they're not. I spent 2 hours online trying to figure out how to send them cross server since I assumed this new phraseology meant they could now go cross realm some how.

Please put on them "server bound" or something.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]