Leaders of Azeroth -- Varian Wrynn

Community Manager
Landan Wrynn. Adamant Wrynn. Llane Wrynn. Varian Wrynn. The line of Wrynn kings has led the nation of Stormwind through countless troubles, each time emerging from the ashes stronger and wiser for the hardship. But Varian, as Stormwind's king in an era of unprecedented chaos and disaster, has begun to focus on the other legacy of his predecessors: Wrynn kings have always met their end too soon, and it's never been fair or kind.

Stepping out into the hall, Varian noticed his guards were not at their usual stations. Is everyone preoccupied with Remembrance Day? Or is this something more sinister?

He crept carefully down the dim hall, entering the large and familiar throne room of Stormwind Keep, but now its towering walls seemed different—larger, more shadowed, and empty. From the distant stone ceiling, tarps hung like garish cobwebs, emblazoned with the golden face of a lion—the emblem denoting the pride and strength of the great nation of Stormwind.

In the gloom, Varian heard a muffled cry and then a sudden scuffle. His eyes darted to the floor, where a trail of blood clearly led to the center of the room. There in the murk, he could barely make out a frantic struggle between two figures. As his eyes adjusted, he could see one man on his knees, bloody and wounded, and standing over him was a harsh female shape looming in the blackness.

Blizzard Entertainment is proudto present the latest entry in the Leaders of Azeroth short story series: "The Blood of Our Fathers"!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3706279/Leaders_Of_The_Alliance_And_Horde_--_Varian_Wrynn-10_13_2011
Reply Quote
71 Goblin Hunter
Afrasiabi is hilarious.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I really liked this story.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Uh... it was ... cheesy?

My issues:

1) Varian gets tired after fighting ten assasins. This story takes place after Wolfheart wherein he sprints through Ashenvale, fights through an army of Horde, climbs Magnatuar, and defeats Garrosh in single combat. Without getting tired. This doesn't make sense based on that. Was Goldrinn sleeping that day and just decided not to help out his Champion? Lame.

2) Varian was essentially killed by a Draconid (lame) just so Anduin could show his cool cat Light abilities.

3) Varian is still raging easily when he already took the Tal'Doren ritual which supposedly took care of that in Wolfheart.

Besides that it was fine, though I think they should have had Danath give a speech or something.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This story sucked like a Hoover.

The bit with Jaina, a RULER of her country, smiling and sucking up to the fat pig Baron, was just pointless. The writing was more overdone than a soap opera, and Anduin is yelling names of abilities like it's the Power Rangers.

NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
This story sucked like a Hoover.

The bit with Jaina, a RULER of her country, smiling and sucking up to the fat pig Baron, was just pointless. The writing was more overdone than a soap opera, and Anduin is yelling names of abilities like it's the Power Rangers.

NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Sorry, but casters have something called "Verbal Components" to spells. Quite simply, there is a reason its called "Power Word: Shield", its the word "SHIELD" spoken aloud in power of the light.

You are not acceptable.

It is a fantastic story, and a great read. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best), this is an 11.

Long live the King.
Edited by Seebach on 10/13/2011 10:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Honestly every single one of these short stories for leaders and even the older stories have been amazing. Well done blizzard and keep up the good work. Not only did u hook me on your amazing games, but you got me on the amazing lore too.

In order of best to worst for leader short stories
1) Genn Greymane the best
2) Sylvanas Windrunner
3) Council of the three hammers is tied with Varian Wrynn
4) Gallywix (nice change of pace)
5) Gelbin Mekkatorque
6) Jol'jin and Baine Bloodhoof tied
7) Tyrande & Malfurion
8) Garrosh Hellscream <----- lame/HUGE Jerk lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I just have to say this stroy was amazing, very deep in emotion, and the speech Varian gives was just wow, really felt the moment there. Blizzard i salute you for your Lore, and character development in the story. 10 out of 10.

LONG LIVE KING VARIAN WYRNN!
GLORY TO THE ALLIANCE!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Terrific story IMO....Right up there with Sylvanas and Council of the Three Hammers.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
What a moving story, I had tears welling up throughout the whole thing. This is what presses me to play this game. The lore, the rich story drive me. Keep them coming.
Reply Quote
89 Human Warrior
I want Velen's story,

NOW
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I want Velen's story,

NOW

Velen sat around all day doing nothing. That worked well, so he decided he should keep it up for two expansions.

The End
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
What I liked about it is how they're turning Anduin into a Discipline-spec Priest, what with the PW:Barrier. Though, him using a bow and arrow is more War3 Priestess of the Moon than WOW Priest...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
10/14/2011 01:53 PMPosted by Safiyr
What I liked about it is how they're turning Anduin into a Discipline-spec Priest, what with the PW:Barrier. Though, him using a bow and arrow is more War3 Priestess of the Moon than WOW Priest...

Well, even if he starts using a bow as his primary weapon, he still wouldn't be a Priest of the Moon.

Also, lore characters are not WoW classes
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Uh... it was ... cheesy?

My issues:

1) Varian gets tired after fighting ten assasins. This story takes place after Wolfheart wherein he sprints through Ashenvale, fights through an army of Horde, climbs Magnatuar, and defeats Garrosh in single combat. Without getting tired. This doesn't make sense based on that. Was Goldrinn sleeping that day and just decided not to help out his Champion? Lame.

2) Varian was essentially killed by a Draconid (lame) just so Anduin could show his cool cat Light abilities.

3) Varian is still raging easily when he already took the Tal'Doren ritual which supposedly took care of that in Wolfheart.

Besides that it was fine, though I think they should have had Danath give a speech or something.

I never read Wolfheart, but I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that the difference between what Varian faced in the book and what he has faced in the short story is showing just how much more powerful the Twilight's Hammer, Deathwing's forces, is. I would like to see any (civil) retort to what I said, though.

I really enjoy these short stories, and I really liked how Varian addressed the "future heroes" out in the audience. I'm assuming that's the author's/blizzard's way of including all of us, ever so subtly, as being part of the story, like they've been continuing to do in Cataclysm, rather than just following along.
Edited by Hellscryer on 10/15/2011 4:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The Good:
- Anduin no longer seems entirely useless.
- Varian's speech was uplifting and inspiring.
- The scene where Anduin and Varian reconcile was pretty strong.
- Benedictus' dialogue was fairly clever considering his double-agent status.
- Some nice nods to minor characters (like Alexston, Jonathan, and Afrasiabi).
- The transversal Gnomeregan steam crank cog-shaft interlink was truly a marvel.
- Varian looks like a boss in the artwork (even if the proportions are weird).

The Bad:
- "Ill-directed aggression toward the Horde"? Really, Jaina? This is why no one likes you.
- Why is Varian treated like a crazy person every time he refuses to ignore ongoing campaigns of conquest and genocide? Having a temper might scare people off, but it shouldn't automatically invalid his points.

The Ugly:
- Varian's 3D model is using Quel'Serrar (x2) instead of Shalamayne. For shame.
Reply Quote
88 Human Rogue
This is the very first time I read one of these short stories from start to finish. Really enjoyed this. Great work! E. Daniel Arey
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
It was a good read. Made me appreciate Varian. Jaina and her "Ill-directed aggression towards the Horde," comment is going to come back and slap her in the face when the Horde sacks Theramore.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Uh... it was ... cheesy?

My issues:

Yeah. In Wolfheart, a lot of bullcrap happened due to Knaak's writing.

If you didn't already know, Knaak is a godawful writer.

The short story didn't make everyone seem overpowered. It made Varian seem human.

... and this probably happened before the events of Wolfheart.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]