Discipline Priest: PvP Guide S13

(Sticky)

Mists of Pandaria Discipline Priest PvP Gearing | How to Gear Enchant and Reforge a Discipline Priest in WoW PVP - Season 12 Patch 5.0

Table of Contents :

- Stat Priority
- Adjusting Stats As You Grind
- Optimal Final Stats
- Getting Started
- Honor Gear
- Conquest Gear
- The Best Discipline Priest PvP Gear in Season 13
- Discipline Priest PvP Professions

1 - Stat Priority

Mandatory

Healing spells always land on your target, which makes Spell Hit rating obsolete for healing spells. Discipline priests also have [Divine Fury], which is more than enough additional Spell Hit to reach the 6% Spell Hit cap when trying to assist in damaging your team’s kill target. It is also of note that although it is not mentioned in the tooltip, your shadow spells, namely [Shadow Word: Death], [Shadow Word: Pain] and most importantly [Psychic Scream], are also affected by [Divine Fury]. There are no “Mandatory” stats for Discipline Priests.

Ideal Stat Gains

In this section, you will find a list of stats along with their descriptions; stats are ordered based on their importance. While gearing, you should focus on achieving the following stats based on this priority hierarchy:

Mastery

Discipline Priests benefit from [Shield Discipline], which increases the effectiveness of all damage absorb shields ([Divine Aegis], [Power Word: Shield], [Spirit Shell], and [Angelic Bulwark]) – a very large portion of a Discipline Priest’s “healing.” Mastery also increases actual healing done as well, giving Mastery a significant boost to performance compared to previous seasons.

PvP Resilience

PvP Resilience reduces the damage your opponent does to you. In a PvP scenario, increasing your damage or healing output is amazing, but decreasing the amount of damage you take can dictate how a PvP scenario plays out. You can’t heal if you’re dead!
In the current state of the game, most top priests are recommending more PvP Resilience to deal with the incredible burst many classes are capable of, and so is Skill-Capped!

Intellect

Intellect increases your spell power and chance to Crit with spells. In previous expansions, Intellect also had the added benefit of increasing your mana pool, but mana levels are now static in Mists of Pandaria. Increasing Intellect will increase your healing throughput and your heals will return more health to your target per spell.

Spirit

In Mists of Pandaria, mana pools have been capped at 300,000 mana and can no longer be increased by stacking Intellect. Spirit increases the rate at which mana regenerates. Currently, mana efficiency is decent when in full gear, but can become scarce in a hurry if you have to use expensive spells, such as [Flash Heal] frequently. Spirit helps to ensure your mana pool is not depleted over the course of a PvP encounter.

Haste

Haste reduces the cast time of your abilities and reduces the duration of the Global Cooldown (the minor cooldown that is invoked after casting spells). Haste helps to ensure your important spell casts go uninterrupted, an important factor in PvP, as there are several interrupt mechanics in the game. There is always something a priest can be doing – Haste allows you to chain your abilities in rapid succession.

One benefit of the Global Cooldown reduction comes when trying to [Shadow Word: Death] incoming Crowd Control. Many times you will [Power Word: Shield] your target (as an example) and you’ll notice the enemy Mage casting [Polymorph] just as the shield lands. Stacking Haste makes it more likely you’ll be able to cast [Shadow Word: Death] and break the Crowd Control effect, potentially saving you and your teammates from defeat.

PvP Power

PVP Power increases all of your healing done to other players. This additional healing increases linearly and does not fall subject to diminishing returns, making this stat more and more effective as you gear your character.
The additional benefit to healing spells is 50% of the damage increase PvP Power provides for dps classes, making this stat a bit less enticing for Healer classes.

Critical Strike

Critical Strike, or Crit, is thought of as one of the worst secondary stats for a Discipline Priest due to the randomness of its benefits in PvP. Critical Strikes do increase your healing by a significant margin, both through absolute healing numbers, along with [Divine Aegis] procs mitigating further damage. In Season 12, however, Critical Strike chance is actually quite low for Discipline Priests and not worth the sizable secondary stat allocation to achieve Crit levels worth the loss of other stats.

So, your stat priority in the current Season 12 Patch 5.0 should look like this:

Mastery > PvP Resilience > Intellect > Spirit > Haste > PvP Power > Crit

Note: We left out Stamina, as there will never be a situation where Stamina is better than any of these stats. Thus, you should never be Gemming or Enchanting Stamina on your gear
Edited by Phrenchie on 4/20/2013 3:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Fantastic guide.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Awesome guide!
Should be sticky so everyone can see it's wonderfulness.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
10/07/2011 04:06 PMPosted by Phrenchie
[Soul Warding] I’ll typically spec into this 2/2 – this talent removes the cool-down of your [Power Word: Shield]. Needless to say, this is invaluable and helps a great deal particularly when under pressure during swaps or when multiple members of your team are taking damage.

I would like to add a note here. Soul warding isn't as crucial as it seems. At most you should only put ONE point into it.

3 second CD without. Goes well in 2s and 3s. But in RBGs I would put 1 point into it, because the first point lowers it by 1 second, 2nd by .5 second. Are you really going to be at a point where you NEED that .5 second CD? Are you not using your other abilities? Its nice on a hard swap, but by the time they get to you, you've had more than enough time to set yourself up with a PW:S.

TL;DR- Its not that powerful of a talent.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Note : Sources are: www.skill-capped.com.

fixt
Edited by Saelyne on 10/9/2011 5:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Great guide. I recently won my first arena fight with my very expierenced hunter teammate through use of mana burn and atonement. I'm interested in your thoughs on smite healing in particualar as holy fire heals for 10k minimum and smite heals for 8k minimum for me. I find it to be great when paired with melee classes. However, i have problems staying at range against some skilled rogues and warriors and due to my screams hefty cd im a sitting duck with all the interrupts and stuns available to certain class combos. Ill be the first to admit that im very nubly in arena fights and my resil is quite low. But my question is what to do against melee classes with who take my shield down with one hit and and make it im possible to get at range where i can i can use my significant burst damage spells that also heal me or my teammate while still keeping as much as possible dispelled and mana burning healers. So pretty much whats my main priority outside of healing as much as possible while still staying mobile and active. Also a nub questioon but Inner fire or Inner will for main armor spell? And whats best way to maximise the use of mana burn? I know this is stuff i should already know but i find arena is a whole different ballgame than bgs and i really want to improve my play. Any advice you might have for an aspiring Disc priest in arenas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for the guide, requested sticky!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Surprised by a couple things in the glyph section:
* PW:S is optional?
* POM not listed at all?

I'm far from an expert on disc pvp so don't take that as criticism. I'm just wondering what the rationale behind this is.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to put together this guide!!
Edited by Callahan on 10/18/2011 2:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Awesome guide! This should be sticky'd for sure
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Priest
This should be a sticky in no time. ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]