Using Aggra's Voice Actress for Tyrande

90 Night Elf Druid
10/12/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Nethaera
It's also important to note that context for how she sounds is key (or the perception thereof) in relation to the various situations she's in and worth keeping in mind as well.

Took me three reads to understand this :P

If you're trying to say the context is important, great. This being 10k years ago and before Night Elves were immortal, I'd expect her to sound younger, less sure of herself, etc.

But the change in voice as it is now is not in any way understandable as a result of context. After all, this is the same context that Illidan and Malfurion are from, and they don't sound any different, nor does Azshara sound anything like her. Do any of the other night elves sound like this?

On a more joking note, is there some other "context" we are unaware of so far, like that she was raised by trolls?
Edited by Daystar on 10/12/2011 1:17 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Warrior
10/12/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Nethaera
Just to clarify, I've gotten confirmation that the actor being used for Tyrande is the same as was used in WarCraft III (and since). It's also important to note that context for how she sounds is key (or the perception thereof) in relation to the various situations she's in and worth keeping in mind as well.

Thank you for that information, much appreciated. If we could be given more information as to why she sounds the way she does, it would probably be beneficial.

From everything we know of the lore, Tyrande was raise in traditional Night Elf society, with other known characters who we have all heard already do not have these troll accents. There is no reason (that many of us are aware of) to believe that she would have developed that sort of accent given her situation.
100 Troll Rogue
10/12/2011 01:03 PMPosted by Breadstick
I bet her Grandpa taught her how to Troll.

She may herself have once been a troll.

But that's beside the point. In general, while we know (sort of know, largely theorize because Blizzard has only hinted at) Nelfs came from Trolls, the fact that most Night Elves have a clean, thoughtful sort of aristocratic accent, it's very odd to suddenly come into Tyrande-the-troll, even if it predates the current Tyrande by 10000 years.

We know that Tyrande is one of the oldest Nelfs, older even than her boyfriend Malfurion. And even if she started out as a Troll, she would have lost the accent as everyone in her society did.

Looking at all the other Elves (and former elves, such as Satyrs) in WOE, not one of them has the accent.

It's just plain odd to hear it from just one night elf.
90 Dwarf Warrior
10/12/2011 01:17 PMPosted by Ryoko
If we could be given more information as to why she sounds the way she does, it would probably be beneficial.

The reason is because time travel.
Edited by Quard on 10/12/2011 1:22 PM PDT
85 Gnome Death Knight
10/12/2011 01:21 PMPosted by Quard
If we could be given more information as to why she sounds the way she does, it would probably be beneficial.

The reason is because time travel.

Old Gods did it.
90 Night Elf Druid
10/12/2011 01:20 PMPosted by Dembai
We know that Tyrande is one of the oldest Nelfs, older even than her boyfriend Malfurion. And even if she started out as a Troll, she would have lost the accent as everyone in her society did.

If she's older than Malfurion, it's only by a few years :P They grew up together, and this was before the Night Elves were immortal, so any of them alive at the time were at best the great great great great great great (etc) grandchildren of those who were once trolls, as they already have an established society and history by the time the Legion invades.
100 Human Paladin
She may herself have once been a troll.

But that's beside the point. In general, while we know (sort of know, largely theorize because Blizzard has only hinted at) Nelfs came from Trolls, the fact that most Night Elves have a clean, thoughtful sort of aristocratic accent, it's very odd to suddenly come into Tyrande-the-troll, even if it predates the current Tyrande by 10000 years.

Doubt that she was a troll, the evolution wasn't overnight, the NE society exsted for some time before this event.
Just change it back to being normal night elf sounding please. Whatever reasons you had for making her sound like a troll might seem like a good idea, but it's really, really jarring to listen to.

No disrespect intended to the voice actress.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
People make fun of me for playing with the sound on. How many even hear NPC voices in game?
94 Night Elf Hunter
Just to clarify, I've gotten confirmation that the actor being used for Tyrande is the same as was used in WarCraft III (and since). It's also important to note that context for how she sounds is key (or the perception thereof) in relation to the various situations she's in and worth keeping in mind as well.

That said, we are always open to feedback provided that it is kept constructive.

Feedback is simple...

...Tyrande sounds like a Troll. That's really all there is to it. In the effort to make her sound exotic, whoever coached the VA went MUCH too far, to the point where I half expect Vol'jin to be at her side rather than Malfurion.
Community Manager
Thanks for all the ongoing feedback. I also wanted to confirm that the actors for Aggra and Tyrande are in fact different.

Again, constructive feedback is always welcome. Harassing or defamatory language toward employees, or each other, isn't constructive.
90 Draenei Shaman
Exact same voice from warcraft 3, if you have the game instaled, go to WorldEditor and check it out.
100 Troll Rogue
10/12/2011 01:24 PMPosted by Daystar

If she's older than Malfurion, it's only by a few years :P They grew up together, and this was before the Night Elves were immortal, so any of them alive at the time were at best the great great great great great great (etc) grandchildren of those who were once trolls, as they already have an established society and history by the time the Legion invades.

That sort of what I'm getting at - I've always had the impression that Nelfs always aged far slower than Trolls (part of their corruption by the Well of Eternity), and that Tyrande was maybe a hundred when Malfurion and Illidan were around 50. That's still plenty young for elves.

While I agree they had a complete lore and history and society by the time they hit The War of the Ancients, it's hard to say how fast that developed after teh Well changed everything.

After all, various beast cultures that hit the well didn't start off with intelligence, but from them we still have well-established societies (Like the Tauren and the Qiraj), but when you start off with a society that was spawned from an intelligent race, such as the Trolls, their lore and history and moment of renaissance could have happened over a matter of decades, not centuries.

The trouble is not knowing the timing of it.

WTB Blizzard lore book that fully explains this stuff, kthx. XD
90 Night Elf Death Knight

That said, we are always open to feedback provided that it is kept constructive.

Unless she's being transformed into a Troll, I don't see how her voice works. At all.

Is it really asking too much to have a Night Elf SOUND like a Night Elf?

Or is that questing not considered "constructive"?
100 Human Paladin
10/12/2011 01:32 PMPosted by Sorä
Exact same voice from warcraft 3, if you have the game instaled, go to WorldEditor and check it out.

Indeed, but its the same voice with an incorrect accent.

It shouldnt be hard to change to the propper inflection.
90 Night Elf Druid
10/12/2011 01:32 PMPosted by Sorä

There are some lines where you can tell the voices are similar; before I knew it was the same actress, I just figured she was trying to copy her inflection (and failing). But the accent completely changes the sound of certain words and phrases: compare for example the way she says "Mother Moon" or "Illidan," and the difference in accent is jarring.

Again, constructive feedback is always welcome. Harassing or defamatory language toward employees, or each other, isn't constructive.

I hope it's not considered "defamatory" to say that a voice actress is failing to hit their mark... I completely understand that it might not be her fault though. For example I can't imagine Metzen warping Thrall's accent, or Trotta warping Malfurion's, in such a similar manner and not having someone go "Ok hang on, maybe try that again?" So maybe it's bad directing that's telling her to speak a certain way.

I care less about who's to blame than I do about how to fix it though, so please try something new, because whatever was going on for the current voice isn't working.
Edited by Daystar on 10/12/2011 1:44 PM PDT
10 Dwarf Paladin
Thanks for all the ongoing feedback. I also wanted to confirm that the actors for Aggra and Tyrande are in fact different.

Glad to see you guys are paying attention to this.

As others have said, its just...jarring for her voice to get an accent like this. Even with WoE being in the past, she shouldn't sound like that. Other Night Elves sound like present day Night Elves then, so why wouldn't Tyrande?

Thanks for paying attention to this.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]