Using Aggra's Voice Actress for Tyrande

100 Gnome Warlock
Thanks for all the ongoing feedback. I also wanted to confirm that the actors for Aggra and Tyrande are in fact different.

Again, constructive feedback is always welcome. Harassing or defamatory language toward employees, or each other, isn't constructive.

Please make Tyrande's voice actress re-record the lines without the accent! :( It's very, very strong and makes her sound like a Troll more than a Night Elf priestess.

If you refuse, I understand, money constraints, maybe time constraints, but in the future, if Tyrande does ANYTHING (for the first time since 2004), I implore you, make her lose the accent.
Edited by Virina on 10/12/2011 1:46 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
You can hear hints of the accent in parts of Tyrande's dialogue from WC3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rVDm3H7dU#t=3m57s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rVDm3H7dU#t=4m20s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rVDm3H7dU#t=5m00s

it seems a lot more pronounced in the Well of Eternity clips though, I agree.
100 Troll Rogue
10/12/2011 01:28 PMPosted by Sokthuga
But that's beside the point. In general, while we know (sort of know, largely theorize because Blizzard has only hinted at) Nelfs came from Trolls

Blizzard. Has. Directly. Said. It. Night Elves evolved from Dark Trolls.

Please give me the link so that I might bow to your superior knowledge of Lore.

Because the only two OFFICIAL references I know about, is the book in Booty bay (and elsewhere) that states that *Trolls* believe that Night Elves came from them, via the Dark tribe that went to the well, and the old Troll info webpage from the old site that again states that *Trolls* believe that Night Elves came from them - as a matter of explaining why they lost so much territory to them. They even added at the bottom that this is a matter of conjecture, and no Night Elf could fathom such a thing being true - and that there is no proof.

No where has Blizzard come out and directly stated that Trolls spawned Night Elves.

For the most part it's "fan-made" lore - that Blizzard loves to play with, but has NEVER confirmed in any official manner.

But if you have a quote, I'll accept that.
90 Human Paladin
Yea, agreed with OP. Voice sounds off. Disappointing for sure.
85 Goblin Priest
She went from saying, "Illidan" in WCIII to "EEL A DUN!"

Maybe they'll pervert the lore to suggest that priests of elune had their own secret language cause they were hipsters, and the troll accent is a biproduct of over-use.

TYRANDE BE FLIPPIN' OUT, MON.
90 Night Elf Druid
You can hear hints of the accent in parts of Tyrande's dialogue from WC3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rVDm3H7dU#t=3m57s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rVDm3H7dU#t=4m20s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rVDm3H7dU#t=5m00s

it seems a lot more pronounced in the Well of Eternity clips though, I agree.

Sure, they both have an accent... but it's kind of a stretch to say they're similar. It's like comparing an "upper crust" British accent and a cockney one and saying they're similar because they pronounce some of the vowels the same way.
85 Goblin Priest

Blizzard. Has. Directly. Said. It. Night Elves evolved from Dark Trolls.

Because the only two OFFICIAL references I know about, is the book in Booty bay (and elsewhere) that states that *Trolls* believe that Night Elves came from them, via the Dark tribe that went to the well, and the old Troll info webpage from the old site that again states that *Trolls* believe that Night Elves came from them - as a matter of explaining why they lost so much territory to them. They even added at the bottom that this is a matter of conjecture, and no Night Elf could fathom such a thing being true - and that there is no proof.

No where has Blizzard come out and directly stated that Trolls spawned Night Elves.

For the most part it's "fan-made" lore - that Blizzard loves to play with, but has NEVER confirmed in any official manner.

Blizzard has come out and directly stated that Night Elves were Dark Trolls who, after exposure for many years to the well of eternity, slowly turned into Night Elves.

Same thing happened to the highborne and the sunwell. They got shorter, blonder, etc.

It was said officially and directly (what ever the hell "directly" is supposed to mean) in the WoW magazine.

No one is going to be able to find you a link because A) the magazine died, like, two months ago, and B) as far as I know there aren't digital copies of the magazine that you can view for free.

Seriously though, go on any reputable WoW site (like MMOchamp) and use the search feature, it was literally everywhere.

EDIT: On top of that, it was recently, it was definitely sometime earlier this year that it was mentioned.

EDIT#2: "At the beginning of the world, now known as Azeroth, the god-like titans created a magical well — dubbed the Well of Eternity. According to Freya, Cenarius, and the Tribunal of Ages, it was a tribe of dark trolls that eventually evolved into the Kaldorei night elves."
Volume 2, Issue 1 of the WoW Magazine.
Thats as good as its going to get.
Edited by Thirteen on 10/12/2011 1:55 PM PDT
100 Troll Rogue

Blizzard has come out and directly stated that Night Elves were Dark Trolls who, after exposure for many years to the well of eternity, slowly turned into Night Elves.

Same thing happened to the highborne and the sunwell. They got shorter, blonder, etc.

It was said officially and directly (what ever the hell "directly" is supposed to mean) in the WoW magazine.

No one is going to be able to find you a link because A) the magazine died, like, two months ago, and B) as far as I know there aren't digital copies of the magazine that you can view for free.

Seriously though, go on any reputable WoW site (like MMOchamp) and use the search feature, it was literally everywhere.

EDIT: On top of that, it was recently, it was definitely sometime earlier this year that it was mentioned.

My bad then. That's probably the only news that Magazine ever had that MMOchamp didn't beat them on, lol

That's what I get for taking a break from WoW over the summer.
85 Goblin Priest

My bad then. That's probably the only news that Magazine ever had that MMOchamp didn't beat them on, lol

That's what I get for taking a break from WoW over the summer.

Volume 2, Issue 1: "At the beginning of the world, now known as Azeroth, the god-like titans created a magical well — dubbed the Well of Eternity. According to Freya, Cenarius, and the Tribunal of Ages, it was a tribe of dark trolls that eventually evolved into the Kaldorei night elves."

Tharr go.
85 Draenei Warrior
Maybe Aggra "posses" Tyrande for the dungeon part of the lore? (I haven't read too much about the storyline).

If not, please set Tyrande back to the way she was.
MGExMTAyZWRiYWE5YzE3ZmI5N2JiYzBiMTEyNTU5NWEwZDcxZGMyNA==
If anything, I expect her to sound more like Kate Blanchet from Elizabeth: strong, willful, and in command. (maybe a bit ethereal like her role as Galadriel from LORTR)
Edited by Alaisha on 5/14/2012 2:22 PM PDT
100 Human Paladin
It doesnt matter that Night Elves evolved from trolls in the context of this conversation

Tyrande wasnt a troll that evolved into a NE she was always a NE, the evolution happend x years (presumed to be a lot as the NE society had existed for some time by then) ago before her time.
100 Troll Rogue
10/12/2011 01:52 PMPosted by Sokthuga

It requires you to read a magazine. But if you can't take time out from being snarky and break in to tremors at the mere though of doing research yourself you'll have to take Bashiok relaying Creative Development's answer:

<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372142">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372142</a>
Q: Are night elves related to trolls in some way?
A: See issue #5 of the World of Warcraft Official Magazine!

Was being snarky in response to your completely disrespectful way of explaining things to me.

And up until this summer, I'd heard your precise comment, with no proof, dozens of times before - and was right in stating that Blizzard had never really confirmed or denied it.

So my information was old, and for that, I apologize - but the burden of proof is always on the person who brings up information as factual - not on the person reading their statements.

That's why I asked you for it.

On topic - So Trolls are the confirmed source of Night Elves - even if that's true we STILL don't know the timing of their mutation, their change of society, and the timing of Tyrande's birth (though we know it happened sometime after the rise of the Night Elves) in reference to all that - and how closely related she is to someone who would have spoken like a Troll.

Even so, with the lack of other "trollish-sounding" elves in that instance, it seems very odd for her to be the only one with a Troll accent.
100 Night Elf Hunter
I liked the old Sylvanas. :(

Edit: Referring to voice if it isn't obvious.
Edited by Orren on 10/12/2011 2:32 PM PDT
100 Troll Rogue

Volume 2, Issue 1: "At the beginning of the world, now known as Azeroth, the god-like titans created a magical well — dubbed the Well of Eternity. According to Freya, Cenarius, and the Tribunal of Ages, it was a tribe of dark trolls that eventually evolved into the Kaldorei night elves."

Tharr go.

Thankies! <3

I always figured that fact would come out eventually. The real question is, will the Nelfs continue to deny it (as the Gnomes deny their robot heritage?). I'm curious about that. (I'm so totally offtopic, but looooore!)
100 Human Paladin

Tharr go.

Thankies! <3

I always figured that fact would come out eventually. The real question is, will the Nelfs continue to deny it (as the Gnomes deny their robot heritage?). I'm curious about that. (I'm so totally offtopic, but looooore!)

Its possible that they just dont know, records of it or historical artifacts could have been lost.

Being the players, we have access to information the NPCs simply dont have
85 Draenei Paladin

Tharr go.

Yes, that is now being explored. Though we don't know much about the Dark Trolls themselves, or even how far they differed from normal trolls. Or what Trolls were like in the distant past.

Regarding the accent, from a lore perspective:

In the Well of Eternity's past, it makes little sense for Tyrande and Azshara to have such different dialects despite living in such proximity and both living of privilege.

The only explanation I can muster is that Highborne pushed all features of themselves towards ideals. Ideals that set them above other Kaldorei, possibly adapting a accent to their speech, one intuitive for spell mastery.

That would not explain why other Night Elves still adapt this accent, long after the Sundering.
60 Night Elf Hunter
Wouldn't be the first time they've ruined character voices.

They ruined Sylvanas in 3.2.
WC3 till 3.1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsl7890n6w
3.2 onwards - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXzy4ZNj7uk

Her new voice sounds horrible.

Always the elves who have their voices ruined... :(
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Does it really matter what the voice sounds like? Sounds fine to me.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Wouldn't be the first time they've ruined character voices.

They ruined Sylvanas in 3.2.
WC3 till 3.1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsl7890n6w
3.2 onwards - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXzy4ZNj7uk

Her new voice sounds horrible.

Always the elves who have their voices ruined... :(

Opinions, I and many of my friends prefer the new Sylvanas voice
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]