Blizzard, you've crossed the line

85 Tauren Paladin

Spots open up all the time in guilds, you just have to keep an eye out. And yes guilds tend to pick up people that are already around the same gear lvl/progression as themselves because its just easier, but if the player in question is an exceptional player with lower lvl gear then exceptions can and will most likely be made because gear is easy to acquire.

How would they know how good the player is if they never play with the person because their gear is such a low level?

Its all about knowing people and getting known. Start your own guild or put pugs together, get your name out there. If your good people will see that. Gold in this game is pretty useless for the most part, its mostly used to level professions and after that used to buy junk off the AH, other than that maybe for repairs or pots.

If you have the time to raid or pvp thats how you should get your gear, if not then you shouldn't be worrying about buying gear because you dont have the time to use it.
Reply Quote
55 Human Priest
Time is money friend.

Blizz cant stop people srom buy gold from gold farm.

Just have them buy from bilzz :)

Boat sink in the pool where the gold will go :)

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

How would they know how good the player is if they never play with the person because their gear is such a low level?

Its all about knowing people and getting known. Start your own guild or put pugs together, get your name out there. If your good people will see that. Gold in this game is pretty useless for the most part, its mostly used to level professions and after that used to buy junk off the AH, other than that maybe for repairs or pots.

If you have the time to raid or pvp thats how you should get your gear, if not then you shouldn't be worrying about buying gear because you dont have the time to use it.

The argument isn't that they can't get the gear or anything. Its that the people with money in real life will always be ahead of those without it, because they can use that money to buy the best possible gear at that time, and have an advantage over others.
Reply Quote
10/16/2011 02:36 PMPosted by Pertenstein
Well, the idea isn't that all of their gold is being obtained through buying pets, and that they are constantly doing it. Its moreso that buying the pet and selling it aids those people in doing something that is exceptionally detrimental to the game. And, you don't believe people would sit there all day and watch it? I've known people who have awoke in the middle of the night to go check auctions on WoW. Its not farfetched to assume others would do the same.

I don't doubt that people camp the AH, I'm just telling you that this new pet won't make it possible for people to "control" the AH. If you're dialing back to just "people who camp the AH will have another source of income by selling pets," then I agree with you, I just don't think it's noteworthy.

By "low level" do you mean "one raiding tier behind?" If you app at the beginning of a new raid tier, your gear can easily be on-par with guilds that raided all last tier, unless they were also doing hardmodes.

It can be noteworthy, its all dependent on what people value the pet (or $10) at.

And, by low level, I mean (let use the start of Cata for example): You have people who get 359 epic BoE drops, but can't use it, so they sell it. The people with gold will buy it, and be put ahead of others. So, while everyone might have 346-ish iLevels, there'll be the select group of people (who had bought gear with gold, partially fueled by selling the pet) that will have been raiding by the time the people (without that excess real money) gets to that iLevel. This argument is mainly to prove that having gold does net you an advantage in game, which people have been that it does not.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Anything that can be bought outside the game and sold in game is a bad idea. I don't care what it is. Awful idea Blizzard...

I am already not buying D3 because it involves an ebay auction hou$e.

You are a moron if your going to boycott a game for that reason. If you don't like the real money auction house or can't use it since your mommy and daddy still support you, then don't use it. Don't post ignorant !@#$ on the forums.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin

The argument isn't that they can't get the gear or anything. Its that the people with money in real life will always be ahead of those without it, because they can use that money to buy the best possible gear at that time, and have an advantage over others.

You can't just straight up buy the "best" gear off the AH, that gear was intended to finish off sets or have some type of starting point at the beginning of an expansion, not to carry you through every new patch of tier.

And even if they buy their way through runs, that means people on that server have already done that content so the race for progression is long over and wouldn't even matter at that point.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
i would rather gold buying exist via selling a pet and me giving you gold for that pet than having a player's account being hijacked.

The crying about this is just silly. I understand the critique, but, I think Blizzard is wrong in their stance at preventing gold buying form the get go. They should remove their stance and adopt CCP's policies that have proven to be successful.

This isn't EVE Online. That game's resources are measured in values reaching hundreds of BILLIONS of Isk. WoW's economy/money-making avenues aren't set up like that. There are not Inflation-Control measures in place here as there are in EVE Online. Blizzard has never worked that way. You need only look at Diablo's currency history to see that. Having a currency-purchasing platform like CCP has is something that WoW cannot currently support. I don't forsee it ever being able to support that.

Your point is kind of irrelevant. Companies should be ever vigilant in modifying their stances and adapting to player demand.

People don't understand the gold farming, the economy, or the impact that purchasing gold has and until it's legalized I don't even see how you could truly understand it fully.

Blizzard fully plans on making future games. WoW has essentially reached its peak player count. So, why not experiment? Put the safeguards, money sinks and other things into placement. Because of some moral code? I just think that's strange and shallow.
Reply Quote

You can't just straight up buy the "best" gear off the AH, that gear was intended to finish off sets or have some type of starting point at the beginning of an expansion, not to carry you through every new patch of tier.

And even if they buy their way through runs, that means people on that server have already done that content so the race for progression is long over and wouldn't even matter at that point.

You are missing the point. Its buying that gear when it is intended to in order to push people higher in gear for the raids of that tier. It becomes an issue when a select few people are the ones buying all of said gear, and are refusing to let others in their raid unless they have a similar level of gear.

Edit: And I want to note.. *this already happens*. The pet is only being dragged into this because it allows people to make gold to do that by spending their real money.
Edited by Daaze on 10/16/2011 4:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
19 Undead Rogue
10/16/2011 03:21 PMPosted by Daaze
It can be noteworthy, its all dependent on what people value the pet (or $10) at.

No, it definitely won't be. Also, there's a functional cap on the gold value of the pet, which will be set by gold sellers.

10/16/2011 03:21 PMPosted by Daaze
And, by low level, I mean (let use the start of Cata for example): You have people who get 359 epic BoE drops, but can't use it, so they sell it. The people with gold will buy it, and be put ahead of others. So, while everyone might have 346-ish iLevels, there'll be the select group of people (who had bought gear with gold, partially fueled by selling the pet) that will have been raiding by the time the people (without that excess real money) gets to that iLevel. This argument is mainly to prove that having gold does net you an advantage in game, which people have been that it does not.

Yeah, you'll have slightly better gear in 2-3 slots.
Edited by Pertenstein on 10/16/2011 4:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin

You are missing the point. Its buying that gear when it is intended to in order to push people higher in gear for the raids of that tier. It becomes an issue when a select few people are the ones buying all of said gear, and are refusing to let others in their raid unless they have a similar level of gear.

Edit: And I want to note.. *this already happens*. The pet is only being dragged into this because it allows people to make gold to do that by spending their real money.

The point of the matter is that baddies will always be bad, no matter how much gear they have, and these raids will find that out fast enough to completely destroy this said "advantage" that they have over other people by not letting them come on their raids anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The crux of the issue is this:

Hacked accounts spam trade with items that can be bought for cash for sale for gold all the time. I report every single one of these as spam, since I can only assume they are items stripped from hacked accounts being sold for gold.

This vanity pet will propogate that behavior, but in a way legitimized by Blizzard. If this goes live, how will I know if the person advertizing this pet is a legitimate player or a hacker? If I choose to buy one of these pets for gold, how will I know if I've given a real player gold for their cash, or a hacker? How will I know if my in-game transaction is supporting Blizzard or hackers?

I won't know, and there is no way for me to ever know.

To be quite blunt, whosever idea this was needs to be fired, lest they put their hands on the game again. This doesn't "cross the line," this leaves the line so far behind, the line is a dot. If this goes live, it will most certainly mark the beginning of the end of WoW.
Edited by Hudax on 10/16/2011 5:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
19 Undead Rogue
10/16/2011 05:02 PMPosted by Hudax
How will I know if my in-game transaction is supporting Blizzard or hackers?

Actually, you'll always have the knowledge that Blizzard benefited :)
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
10/16/2011 12:25 PMPosted by Wafflefries

Because guilds never ever sell raid spots...

If you have to buy your way through content your bad and people will know, so I still don't see where this gets you.

Skill level doesn't enter into it, then again, it's not like WoW is a game of skill anyway. PvE is like any other game, you learn the patterns. If A happens, you do B. If C happens, you do D.

However, regardless of your skill, unless you're a member of the guild taking you along, or a friend, you're not going to know how the person got the gear, just that they have it. Further, the person could be a properly contributing member of the raid they paid to go on, you don't know that either.

The point, which you're purposefully not addressing, is that gold CAN be used to get the best gear.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
Anything that can be bought outside the game and sold in game is a bad idea. I don't care what it is. Awful idea Blizzard...

I am already not buying D3 because it involves an ebay auction hou$e.

You are a moron if your going to boycott a game for that reason.

It's the reason I'm not buying D3 either.

You see, you can post of forums like this, or write letters/emails or whatever, but the only real say you have in what a company does is with your wallet. You don't buy from them, they make less money. If enough peeps do this then the company knows not to do that again.

Don't post ignorant !@#$ on the forums.

I'd suggest that you take your own advice.

Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
I wanna just point out one giant flaw. If the pet is BoA, how can you put it on the AH?

BoA binds to the account that bought it, so you can't put it up for sale so someone else could have it.

Did anyone actually think of that?

Well, if you'd bothered to read any of the rest of the post, then you'd see two suggestions that were brought up many times:
1. Two versions of the pet, one as advertised (BoE, single use) and one BoA.
2. Coming up with a way to do BoAoU (Bind on Account on Use).

The first one is obviously the easier one to do, but the second one actually preserves the established market value of the other 6 pet store pets.

With the other pets, you can buy it and then provide a code to your buyer, who then puts it into their account. This is a problem due to all the scamming, which is the same as the scamming you got from mount codes (before the mounts were made BoE), with the extra "bonus" of peeps buying the codes with stolen credit cards and selling the codes, which (when Blizzard gets a charge-back) get removed from the account.

By making it BoE (like the TCG mounts), they remove the CS/GM tickets involving the scam. However, they also make it look like a money grab because the new pet is a fraction of the value of the old pets.

If they figure out a way to do BoAoU they can not only preserve the value, but convert the old pets and mounts to the same scheme, thereby removing the scams involving those 8 items and opening the market up for peeps to buy and sell those in the game as well.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Shaman
10/16/2011 01:35 PMPosted by Daaze
The pet should become BoA on use, and for those people complaining about others getting ahead in the game with gold... you don't get ahead with gold, you get ahead by playing the game. For PvE you get ahead by grinding bosses till you beat them all. For PvP you grind BGs and arenas till you get gear and rating. People with more gold just get ahead at having more gold which really doesn't do much, maybe buys you a few achievements or something.

Hard to get into a raid when other people buy all the best gear they can before you even have a chance to get it, and then said the standard for that raid. If you don't think people would do that, you are severely mistaken.

This would be my concern.

I don't raid anymore, but I see the crap that goes on in trade on a few different servers I play on. iLvl+achievement. Now add in a legit way to buy gold and you the the makings for some fine asshatery.

Sure, I doubt the pets will make you gold hand over fist, but it'll start with the pet and move on from there. Blizzard is really just testing the waters right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]