Blizzard, you've crossed the line

BASICLY.... Buying a blizzard store pet for 10$.

You could sell it ingame for ingame money.

Same concept as buying gold from a farmer.

Bingo!

Except in this case it's legitimate and it does not break the ToS. Also, their is no guarantee of how much gold you will make selling the pet.
Reply Quote
35 Gnome Warlock
Not only do we believe that it is illegal, but it also has the potential to damage the game economy and overall experience for the many thousands of others who play World of Warcraft for fun.

If you are found to be selling in-game property (such as coins, items, or characters), for real money, you will lose your characters and accounts, and Blizzard Entertainment reserves its right to pursue legal action against you as well.

Gee I wonder who said this back in 2005.
Reply Quote
Not only do we believe that it is illegal, but it also has the potential to damage the game economy and overall experience for the many thousands of others who play World of Warcraft for fun.

If you are found to be selling in-game property (such as coins, items, or characters), for real money, you will lose your characters and accounts, and Blizzard Entertainment reserves its right to pursue legal action against you as well.

Who is going to be selling in-game property for real money?

This is spending money to then sell an item in-game, if you so choose.
Reply Quote
10/19/2011 05:47 PMPosted by Johnlocke
The owners of the property that was illegally being sold for real money.

The owners of the property have EVERY legal right to sell their OWN property for real money, however.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
I keep seeing the same arguments get re-hashed here, and I keep seeing them get ignored. I don't think anyone who is posting here actually understands how conversation is supposed to work.

At 115 pages of everyone going around in a circle ignoring each other, one would think you'd stop seeing people dig it up.

Anyway, here's a bunch of points nobody seems capable of responding to in any meaningful way.

To reiterate something I said elsewhere:

Making gold in game is easy. The only thing anyone needs to earn gold is time, and a lot of players - especially older players - don't have a lot of time to spare for farming. As such, they'll either stagnate and eventually give up on the game, or they'll find a way to work around the boring bits (i.e. buy gold rather than farm it) so that they can pursue the parts they enjoy. Personally, I'd much rather people have an avenue for 'buying' gold from Blizz than dealing with shady spammer sites that hack accounts - because allowing the likes of illegal gold sellers to run rampant is bad for the game. If Blizz has to set a back-fire in order to stop that inferno from spreading, I say more power to them.

This isn't a money grab from Blizzard. It won't be popular enough to warrant that label, and if Blizz was just money hungry, then there is absolutely nothing stopping them from raising rates - which they haven't in five years time.

And honestly, buying this pet is not buying gold. Buying this pet is buying a pet, which you can then try to trade for gold. If you are buying this pet specifically to make gold, then you are taking a huge gamble.

This is a huge gamble for a number of reasons.
1. Anybody can buy the pet. $10 is not a make-or-break amount for anyone who can shell out $15 a month for entertainment.
2. The in-game value of the pet will vary, and will likely not be very much. 2000 gold is a generous estimate, as per 1.
3. To further reduce 2, the in-game demand for these will likely not be very great. Anybody who wants one can buy their own.
4. To again reduce 2, the in-game supply for these will likely be rather large, since anybody who values 2000 gold more than $10 will have one up for sale. It won't be hard for someone to shop around for the cheapest possible pet, rather than buy the one that some mouth-breather decided to try to sell for 80000 gold on the first day.
5. 2000 in-game currency represents barely any buying power at all. You'd be better off farming or playing the Auction House.

It really doesn't make sense why people get so worked up over this as a gold-making method. 2000 gold per pet is a generous estimate, and at that rate you'd need eight of them to buy the typical Firelands BoE - just one item for $80, and you can't guarantee that even one of them would sell, let alone all eight. That is a massive gamble of real money for one BoE item that probably wouldn't even boost performance that much.

And I think the slippery slope arguments are laughable, really. Their online store is for non-combat items only, and it has never been meant for anything else. Offering a BoE pet is not in any way related to offering cash for BoE gear, and I've yet to see anyone offer a justifiable logical link between the two.

Blizzard isn't stupid, and I'm sure someone in their offices at some time or another has seen Extra Credits: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/microtransactions
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

I'm sure I'm repeating what others have said, but my husband and I will NOT be buying this pet unless it has an option to bind on account so it can be on all our toons. I love pet collecting, and it greatly saddens me that I won't have this one. I will not be buying it in game either.

You've admitted mistakes before, now man up Blizzard, and admit this is a huge one!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I really don't think the amount of money one can make from this is cause for alarm.

My only problem has and is that I am not going to pay $10 per character when previously $10 got my all my characters, and $25 got my a stuffed animal as well!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I really don't think the amount of money one can make from this is cause for alarm.

My only problem has and is that I am not going to pay $10 per character when previously $10 got my all my characters, and $25 got my a stuffed animal as well!

If this pet sells for so much as 10g each, that would be more than enough justification to have a riot in the streets.

Seriously? Do the math before you spout such idiocy.

At that rate, someome has to pay $100 to make 100g (something that I can make in less than an hour easily). To get any decent amount of gold (depends what you consider decent, but I would say buying any decent piece of BOE gear is 10K gold, so i set that at 10K for ONE PIECE of gear) said person would have to spend TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

To get fully decked out, they would have to spend ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS.

If someone in the world is willing wo spend one hundred thousand dollars on this game to get a few pieces of armor (which you can get anyway without taking that long, really so it doesn't get them ahead), more power to the single moron who is going to soon be parted from his house.

Hardly cause for riots in the street as you say.
Reply Quote
1 Goblin Warlock
because the 2 people who even bother to do it really matter
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
10/19/2011 05:07 AMPosted by Gnoone
I hate to break it to you, but this game and the direction it takes is not run by a democracy.

Very true. It's an unstable dictatorship.

Blizzard says "this is how it will be" and the people either accept it and keep doing what they're doing, or they don't and take action, whether that action is canceling accounts or posting angrily anywhere that they think someone will listen or whatever. At that point the powers that be either listen, or they cease to be the powers that be (because they'll have lost enough money for the company that they're out of a job in one way or another).

As up in arms as you may be about this, their has been about an equal response in this thread alone that takes an opposite view of this change.

Your masterful summary of "equal response" really isn't borne out.

Then again, which of the two issues being discussed are you saying has an equal response?
The issue of legal gold selling or the issue of the pet being a rip off?

In regards to the gold selling, I suggest you look again. The company (supposedly) and the players are against it. While the responses may be close to even, I'd say it's on the side of anti-gold sales and the "just shut up, will you, it's not a problem" supporters of gold selling tend to undermine that side.

In regards to the pet being a rip off when compared to the other store pets, it's solidly on the side of those that want to preserve the established value in some fashion.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
10/10/2011 10:10 AMPosted by Healstime
You would pay $100 for 2k gold?

Exactly, I can get 2-3k in a single 5-minute herbing session and instead others pay 100 real dollars that they could use to buy food or nice real-life things.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
If this pet sells for so much as 10g each, that would be more than enough justification to have a riot in the streets.

The point that you're missing is that if something is wrong, then it's wrong regardless of circumstance.

The arguing over how much wrong you have to do before it becomes "wrong enough" is a demonstration of hypocrisy.

If gold buying/selling is bad, then ALL gold buying/selling is bad, whether it's done through a Chinese farmer or Blizzard.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
10/20/2011 07:03 AMPosted by Tiggindy

The point that you're missing is that if something is wrong, then it's wrong regardless of circumstance.

The arguing over how much wrong you have to do before it becomes "wrong enough" is a demonstration of hypocrisy.

If gold buying/selling is bad, then ALL gold buying/selling is bad, whether it's done through a Chinese farmer or Blizzard.

No, I get that - and for the record, I don't LIKE that the pet can be sold. I do think it's a slippery slope, and do think it's the wrong direction for the game.

I just don't think it's quite "rioting in the streets" worthy.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Why is this thread still alive???!?!?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]