Blizzard, you've crossed the line

85 Orc Hunter
10/10/2011 10:38 AMPosted by Attilian
edit: Blizzard is officially condoning a Pay to win strategy. It takes one enterprising soul to sell a few of those and then use the gold to corner the market of Gems on a smaller server. This is not okay.

Pay to win? How does gold help you win beyond occasional pieces of BOE gear which are at best 20 item levels below best-in-slot?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
10/21/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Friendzee
edit: Blizzard is officially condoning a Pay to win strategy. It takes one enterprising soul to sell a few of those and then use the gold to corner the market of Gems on a smaller server. This is not okay.

Pay to win? How does gold help you win beyond occasional pieces of BOE gear which are at best 20 item levels below best-in-slot?

Because you can use gold to buy raid spots... This was covered a long while ago.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
200g for 10 bucks is crap dude.

Cause lets say you make 400g every hour. That would be equal to working 20 dollars an hour or at 10 dollars an hour it would take you 2 hours of work to equal the 1 hour of play time in WoW.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
don't forget the blog that says we are going do it anyways

<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3768752/Gold_Selling_Stance_and_Thoughts_on_the_Guardian_Cub-10_20_2011#blog">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3768752/Gold_Selling_Stance_and_Thoughts_on_the_Guardian_Cub-10_20_2011#blog</a>

And there it is. Buying gold is now acceptable and soon blizz will be one of those games where you can buy gold, buy bags and buy items you need to be able to play.

Sad, sad day :(

And no, because you buy the pets from the Blizzard store and spend about hmmm less than five minutes obtaining the pets, it takes about 20 seconds to put on the auction house, it's extra gold you've got in-game for not even 5 minutes of your time.
Edited by Cazmilla on 10/21/2011 11:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
10/21/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Friendzee

Right now yes, but how long until people that buy gold realize this and then they want a level playing field, and all of a sudden gear for all/most slots is available from Blizzard store?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
With the announcement of the expansion and the pet battle system, and that pets will be account wide with MoP, a single use BoE pet makes sense.

I can totally understand them not saying anything ahead of Blizzcon in response to those of us that were worried about getting value for our money.

What I want to know about pets being account wide is whether it's WoW account wide or Battle.net account wide?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Still does not address the fact that they are allowing items purchased for cash...easily...to be sold on the AH.

They SAY it is to combat hacks and gold sellers, but that just doesn't float. Especially considering that the old pets aren't going to the new system AND the fact that game time is still illegal to sell AND the fact that gold sellers are still going to grind out mats and sell cheap on the AH for gold to sell to buyers...

The pet needs to be BoA. The items from TCG cards need to be BoA. At no point should real money be allowed to buy ANYTHING that can be turned into gold in game. Not unless they themselves wish to go to a cash for gold system and totally screw up the game.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
What is the difference between selling gold for real money and selling the Guardian Cub for gold? You buy the Cub with real money then sell it for gold, isnt that the same thing?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I remember all those years ago when a great game called EvE shut down because CCP let people sell gametime for isk.

Oh wait it didn't.

My husband likes Eve, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
It's nowhere near the same as buying gold. There is no new gold being generated, the gold is just trading hands. If they "sold gold," gold would be generated, and flood the market. This is not the case.
As far as it being BoE goes, people were selling pets regardless of the BoP tag, and a lot of people were getting scammed. And as far as combating gold sellers, they are. The gold sellers (or anybody for that matter), now, cannot sell that pet and go cancel their credit card, running off with your gold and leaving you with no pet.

So, with your logic, people selling trading card game mounts (bought IRL with real money, sold in-game for hundreds of thousands of gold), which are in fact also BoE, is Blizzard "selling gold" too, no?
Oh wait, it's not.
And no, TCG items absolutely do NOT need to be BoA. You'd be significantly taking away the rarity and value.

Edit: As far as store items go, they should be account-wide.. once learned. The pet should be BoE, as it is now, able to be sold, but once learned, should send BoP versions of it to all of your toons and any in the future. That would make it act like all of the other store items, yet not allow people to sell multiples from one purchase.
Edited by Anachronism on 11/3/2011 3:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, the world hasn't ended and server economies are still the same as before. Now what?
Reply Quote
52 Undead Warlock
wow this just keeps on going, i agree that those pets were not blizz's greatest idea
but i seriously doubt that they will have any, "any" effect on the economy, thats a
PET not a hax real money tier set, so i don't think people are going to be that desperate to
get their hands on it, especially through ah
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
15 for them on my auction house >_<
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
You'd think it was the only pet on the ah that isn't boa, from all the fuss. You'd also think it was the first time any pet / mount was avail from outside of the game that could be sold in game, which is just not true.
I don't see the big deal about buying and selling the pet.

Some people just like to whine and will come up with any excuse at all to do so.
(if you don't believe me, pick any 10 forum threads and read them from start to finish.. sorry, I know how painful that's gonna be, but you see my point?)

Reply Quote
15 for them on my auction house >_<

There is a whole page of http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84413 on my server : /
Edited by Baneustwo on 11/3/2011 4:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

I'll post it again. I personally have no desire to get this pet but, I still have a suggestion.
Like the other store pets, this one should be account-wide.. once learned. The pet should be BoE, as it is now, able to be sold, but once learned, should send BoP versions of it to all of your toons and any in the future. That would make it act like all of the other store items, yet not allow people to sell multiples from one purchase.
Edited by Anachronism on 11/3/2011 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This has likely been posted already, but the OP is forgetting something glaringly obvious with his doomsday predictions of someone buying 30 pets and then controlling the market (as if you'd even get enough gold through that).

Who is -buying- these pets off this hypothetical person? You spout off about the gold they're going to get, but there's supply and demand at work here. There is a limited amount of people interested in this pet to begin with. Those people then need to have the, for example, 10k gold the seller is asking. They need to have this gold, AND not be willing to dish out 10$ to just get it themselves. Personally, I have yet to buy a single thing from the Blizz cash shop. So I am not interested in this pet. I imagine there's a sizeable proportion like myself.

The seller will never -dominate- the market, because if he buys 30 ... maybe 10 will sell? And the buyers dictate the price. If he posts them all for 10k and no one wants them for 10k, they aren't going to sell. Amazing, I know, the concept that posting items on the AH doesn't magically zap gold into your pockets. The more that are sold, the less of a customer base there is for people to sell these on the AH to --- within a couple weeks, the price will likely drop.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

Very Valid point regarding the TCG, also, i sold my guardian cub for 12,000 gold.

Also, i think the whole idea of buying/selling gold means nothing now, it doesn't really change teh economy much at all anymore, especially considering how easy it is to make plenty of gold simply buy doing your everyday stuff in WoW, dailies, heroics, raids, professions etc. really the main downside to gold selling is the account theft that goes along with it.
Edited by Gorgondor on 11/3/2011 4:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]