Blizzard, you've crossed the line

90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/10/2011 10:17 AMPosted by Asclepius
You would pay $100 for 2k gold?

Some people would, and therefore gain an advantage in game through real life means. That's the main problem with this, when you boil it down its buying gold, whether its from blizz or not is irrelevant.

trust me when this goes live people will be paying a lot more than 200g for the pet, try 2k to 5k
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
The op's numbers are arbitrary, amazing how many people are missing that point.

Completely agree with the op too btw. This is legal gold selling.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
10/10/2011 10:19 AMPosted by Auctionshark
EDIT: @Cat. Read my second paragraph of this post for a little more clarification. As well, cards don't guarantee an item. This is guaranteed gold, 100% chance.

The card is guaranteed gold. How is it anything but? Not to mention, considering this will be in high supply, would it really be worth much gold?

I think this is more about you being angry that someone will be able to sell something and make some extra G that ALREADY EXISTS IN THE GAME ON THE SERVER IN ANOTHER PERSONS BAG. So, no, it's not gold selling in any way.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
You would pay $100 for 2k gold?

Examples are examples. The point still stands, you buy an item for real money, you sell it for gold. Therefore, you're trading real money for gold. That's exactly what it is.

You mean bad examples are bad examples. However, you make a vailid point.
Edited by Icyelf on 10/10/2011 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
10/10/2011 10:25 AMPosted by Toxarís

Some people would, and therefore gain an advantage in game through real life means. That's the main problem with this, when you boil it down its buying gold, whether its from blizz or not is irrelevant.

trust me when this goes live people will be paying a lot more than 200g for the pet, try 2k to 5k

Probably more, but that's really not relevant to the actual problem at hand. 200g or 2,000,000g its still easy, sanctioned gold selling.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight

yes it is. This allows the people who have more disposable income get ahead in the game and that's the whole reason people buy gold. These will sell for thousands of gold on some AHs. This has gone too far and Makes me reconsider this game completely now.

How? 391 / 397 gear is all BoP. Most 378 gear is valor or BoP. There are only a few 378 BoEs, and they already sold for obscene amounts of gold, and undoubtedly some of the people who bought them bought gold illegally to pay for them.

So if someone is going to be dumb enough to pay hundreds of dollars for a companion and auction them.. just to get one piece of 378 gear.... well more power to them. It's self-regulating too, you can't just indefinitely sell the pet. Once the couple of people on your server would will actually pay thousands of gold for a pet are done, the market is tapped, and you can't make any more gold off the pet.

It doesn't just apply to gear. Your short sightedness is outstanding. It just takes one person on a smaller server to corner the market on one or more things and keep it that way for a very very very long time.

10/10/2011 10:26 AMPosted by Catiany
EDIT: @Cat. Read my second paragraph of this post for a little more clarification. As well, cards don't guarantee an item. This is guaranteed gold, 100% chance.

The card is guaranteed gold. How is it anything but? Not to mention, considering this will be in high supply, would it really be worth much gold?

I think this is more about you being angry that someone will be able to sell something and make some extra G that ALREADY EXISTS IN THE GAME ON THE SERVER IN ANOTHER PERSONS BAG. So, no, it's not gold selling in any way.

The difference is I have to go to outside sources to get a guaranteed Loot Card. I can't go to the blizzard store to get it like I can this. 10 Dollars for thousands of Gold. If this isn't sanctioned Pay to Win I don't know what Is.
Edited by Attilian on 10/10/2011 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Oh noes someone is going to cheat his way to a Mechano-Hog

This is going to give them a huge advantage over me in coolness.
Reply Quote

You do realize gold sellers get a lot of gold from hacked accounts, so when they redistribute the gold, its gold that ALREADY EXISTS IN THE GAME ON THE SERVER IN ANOTHER PERSONS BAG, right?
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue

Yes, because when you buy a pack of cards it isn't "Return to the Dark Portal *with a 0.1% chance of getting a spectral tiger*" Obviously the cards are bought in packs of "FREE ITAMS HERE BUY NOW FREE GOALD!!!!!11!"
As for the 2nd point, it's not gold selling, it's giving people with fatter wallets an advantage. They buy these items, then sell them for gold. Therefore, people with more money have more gold, too. Not to mention this is obviously Blizzard easing in with the idea of items on the Blizz store. Re-read the OP's edit, please.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/10/2011 10:28 AMPosted by Squidchin
Probably more, but that's really not relevant to the actual problem at hand. 200g or 2,000,000g its still easy, sanctioned gold selling.

Here's the key quotation from Blizzard,

"we’re ok with it if some players choose to use the Guardian Cub as a safe and secure way to try to acquire a little extra in-game gold without turning to third-party gold-selling services."

So there's no dancing around it, Blizz is coming right out and saying that if you want to buy gold, buy it from them.

It was only a matter of time before they found a way to cash in on the gold buying business while still technically adhering to their stance on "real" gold buying.

well there it is folks, maybe they do this to stop stupid people from buying gold getting hacked then having to have the account restored. Thats an expense in its self.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
The advantage of having more gold is nonexistent? Are you kidding me? All it takes is one Mr. Moneybags to create a monopoly of herbs, or ores, or leather on the AH to screw everything up. The price of everything would go waaay up, screwing over people who don't buy these items and lower level characters.

If you don't agree with the price then don't pay it. You're not getting "screwed" when you purchase items at a price you are willing to pay.

This isn't the real world where you get screwed buying gas for your car, because the resource is limited, monopolized by someone, and you have no way to make it for yourself. This is WoW where the potential resources are basically infinite and you are given the means to gather many of those resources yourself.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight

It doesn't just apply to gear. Your short sightedness is outstanding. It just takes one person on a smaller server to corner the market on one or more things and keep it that way for a very very very long time.

What "THINGS" exactly? The only thing they can sell are pets. They can't stop me from farming, making potions, running Firelands and getting my own BoEs, etc... what are they somehow going to hold guns to people's heads and make them keep buying companion pets?

Are they going to become the companion mafia?

No but if they sell those pets, they can buy your potions and everyone elses, raise the price and then whenever someone puts them up, buy them cheap and then sell them more. Corner the market on anything they have the money and desire for.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Anything that can be bought outside the game and sold in game is a bad idea. I don't care what it is. Awful idea Blizzard...

I am already not buying D3 because it involves an ebay auction hou$e.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

How long is it till we can buy mounts?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]