Blizzard, you've crossed the line

85 Draenei Priest
Yeah, it's pretty important to stress out that selling BOE from CCG is a perfectly legal way to make cash.

The difference is just that you make ''more'' gold by selling a 100$ CCG card mount than, say, a 10$ one.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

The difference is that we can't get on the official Blizzard Store and go buy a spectral Tiger and then sell it. We either have to go to third party websites, Card Stores, etc. Blizzard is condoning this kind of conduct now and its very saddening.

edit: Blizzard is officially condoning a Pay to win strategy. It takes one enterprising soul to sell a few of those and then use the gold to corner the market of Gems on a smaller server. This is not okay.
Edited by Attilian on 10/10/2011 10:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

While those intentions sound good, Bashiok, I'm still worried about the abuse of this service. The TCG cards are in limited supply. You cannot limit a digital good like the pet. That gives people free reign to sell any quantity for any price, and when abused, turns real life money into gold.

If you want people to be able to buy pets in game without spending real life money, why not sell them in game through vendors?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
10/10/2011 10:39 AMPosted by Asclepius
If you want people to be able to buy pets in game without spending real life money, why not sell them in game through vendors?

Because then they wouldn't be able to buy a new helicopter for christmas.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter

Funny. We are aware of this. Because WoW has a fulltime mint with every completed quest, every mob kill, and boss kill. You don't need to add gold. Players do that for you.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue

Card items haven't affected the economy because they're so rare. I almost never see them these days, so it's no wonder they've barely dented the economy. If everybody and their mother could buy a spectral tiger, then that would be a whole new ball game.

Gold Sellers also don't generate new gold, either. They use gold and items from other people's bags and banks. But I'm pretty sure the gold buying industry does WONDERS for the economy, right?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Yeah, it's nice that people who don't want to use real money can get these items. However, it's at the cost of opening some floodgates that really shouldn't be opened.

I've been playing this game for 4 years once December comes around, and I don't want to quit. But if Blizzard keeps crossing these lines, I guess I have to do what I have to do.
Reply Quote

I hope you're not gonna be mad when I say this but that line is just spin.

No new gold is ever "created" by players. The only way for gold to be created is by NPCs who give it to us out of thin air via us killing em, drops we vendor, quest rewards and the like. The AH is simply people swapping the gold they have accumulated.

Players aren't spending real money to get the pet, they are spending real money to get GOLD. You are gold selling, albeit thru the back door, and "legally" in the name of "protecting us" from "third parties" (i.e. not Blizzard).
Edited by Zardrus on 10/10/2011 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/10/2011 10:35 AMPosted by Bashiok

I see what you are doing, and I think I get it now. People that dont have the cash to actually spend in the blizz store, can get this using ingame gold. I guess if you look at it from an economic standpoint they are doing this so people that would not be otherwise able to get the pets can.

Its win win for the buyer and the seller, and its not adding gold it is simply shifting the amounts already here from one player to another.
Reply Quote
65 Human Rogue

How long is it till we can buy mounts?

You can already buy mounts.

Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

There have been suggestions to make 2 versions of the pet, one that is BoA and one that is single use. Please consider this as most of us would want the pet for our accounts or as gifts to friends rather than as a means of filling our coffers with gold coins.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Your naivety is funny. Yes... it is gold buying. I need extra gold so I cough up 10 bucks and then sell my item in-game with no intention at all of keeping the pet. If I can sell my pet for an adequate amount of money, then I have bought gold.

What do I care about extra gold in the economy? I don't care at all. I want extra gold and don't want to "work" for it.

except this is not xtra gold in the server economy, thats the difference from gold sellers. Gold sellers place gold that is not in the economy into it. This shifts the same server amount of gold around not adds to it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
People will buy gold regardless. At least this way they're not buying gold from chinese people who try to get keyloggers onto your computer.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Seriously how many more mind numbing moronic posts will we have on this subject there is already like 5 threads on this.I swear the WOW playerbase is slowly morphing into nothing but a bunch of cry babies that would cry if their Ice Cream was Cold.

This is Blizzards game they can do what the want with it.Anyone who is stupid enough to pay 10 bucks for a stupid pet then sell it for less gold than they would make from doing dalies is not too smart.

So just stop with all the QQ about it like it is really game breaking.

I think you are viewing the forums in a different light than some us. As we all pay a monthly fee, I feel like we are all invested in the game's direction. Making us all similar to stock holders. And, since we are all stock holder, mildly speaking, isn't our job to inform Blizzard when they are moving in a direction we do not approve.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid

O please "players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection" want to get them IN GAME. How about you try being honest about what the wants are, because I'm willing to bet people would rather not part with their money and earn in game rewards......in game.

"TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold."

First off, who sells the Spectral Tiger in game, people see that thing on e-bay for over $700, no one is going to take worthless gold when they could make that much money. The issue for you guys is your not getting a cut of that money, and now you do.

You can spin it how you want, but you said you wouldn't do this and now you are, why should we trust you?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]