Blizzard, you've crossed the line

85 Gnome Warlock
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

There is a HUGE difference between TCG items and in-store items.

With the TCG, these are not common items. These show up very rarely and the cost for one of those items in RL cash is far greater than cost for in-game gold making them inconsequential to this argument.

No new gold being introduced is a lame argument as well. You know very well that a lot of the gold selling going on is just moving gold around, and now you have made it even easier to do this thru the use of real cash for in game currency.

The entire FAQ on this reads like a series of lame excuses that summons up visions of a child having done something wrong and then trying to justify it.

Of all the things Blizzard has recently done that I've disagreed with, this ranks right up there with the decision to take away things people have earned in game because "you thought it was cool" (aka the Exalted title fiasco).

If you introduce a way to easily turn real cash into in-game items (which the TCG items are NOT and this IS) you are basically throwing out every argument you've ever had about buying in game currency.

Hypocrisy for the loss.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/10/2011 10:35 AMPosted by Bashiok
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

Bashiok how can you use this example? There's no way the Spectral Tiger would sell for over $500 if it could be bought by anyone on the Blizzard Store.

Making the Spectral Tiger BoE was a great idea, but I don't understand how it pertains to this. You're opening up you're own store for players to spend real life money in exchange for gold.

Honestly I don't think Blizzard should be in the business of selling vanity items either way, but that's a different debate.
Edited by Bridius on 10/10/2011 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
10/10/2011 10:22 AMPosted by Subrosian
So... I don't have to buy this pet from the Blizz store? I can just use my in-game gold to buy it from some lazy person?

Yes. That is the entire point of having this pet.

Some people don't want to spend real life money on a virtual pet. That is why it is tradeable. It isn't intended for people to just buy endlessly and sell for a profit, because honestly that's just stupid ($100 for an amount of gold you could make within an hour or two).

People aren't generous enough to simply give pets away, so why not sell them? What other solution could you possibly have? A new 'pet-trading' currency? That's just a waste of damn time.

This isn't a fault of Blizzard, but rather their paranoid fanbase that insists that every change they make is made only to bring profit to themselves and destroy the game. Really guys, it isn't that. Another example of people crying over EVERYTHING.

I, for one, am probably going to buy one of these lions off the AH because I can't be bothered to buy it with my real, hard-earned cash. I certainly could not do that before. Thank you, Blizz, and please don't cave into the whiners.

Edit: I'm sure they will make a hefty sum out of the few morons who attempt to use this system to get rich quick (good luck), but there is a difference between making a profit out of an item that's intended to help people and actively seeking to sell an item just to make lots of money. It's the former, I'm sure.
Edited by Arrok on 10/10/2011 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

As the original posting on the item says though, that isn't your only goal. If it were, you'd just make them buyable in-game from a vendor for a lot of gold. You also know and support people using their real money to buy it and make in-game gold. That shouldn't be OK, and you know it isn't the same as the TCG.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
If Blizzard wants a REAL gold sink, they'd put the items from the card game on a vendor.

I sure wish they would.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Gold is hard to make right?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This isn't going to stop Gold Sellers.

Gold sellers are offering 10k for 10 bucks, somewhere around, the last I saw, with discounts for larger sales.

Reply Quote
50 Gnome Warlock
10/10/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Subrosian
Someone monopolizing the AH is easily broken by a single competitor who will eventually run the buyer out of gold...

Incorrect. The monopolies on servers exist because they have gold cap and are able to eat a loss long enough to drive people out of the market before jacking the prices up again.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
TCG loot cards are very rare. There are only so many Spectral Tigers in the world. There are an infinite number of winged guardian minipets.

This. It's the infinite supply which makes a difference. A long-term gold buying market can't be created off of a rare item, but an item that's always available and always sold for the same amount can be easily used.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
10/10/2011 10:10 AMPosted by Healstime
You would pay $100 for 2k gold?

Lol.
Reply Quote
88 Goblin Mage
its blizzards game...they can do what they want...if u don't like it...stop playing
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
10/10/2011 11:01 AMPosted by Toxarís
Pretty much. I was kind of OK with TCG being able to be sold for gold, due to the rarity of them. However, a readily purchasable item from the Blizzard store being able to be traded for gold? Not cool.

why? its the same thing, the only difference is TCG loot cards are rarer, but its the same thing.

No its not. I can't go to www.blizzard.com and go to their store and say "man I want a Spectral Tiger today to sell on the AH." If you don't see the difference there, I feel sorry for you.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
10/10/2011 10:35 AMPosted by Bashiok
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received

I dont know why you didnt extend that to Loot card pets. Would of been nice.
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Death Knight
I love all the people going "They'll do it anyway!"

People will buy smack anyways, let's sell it in corner stores so we can make a profit.

People will buy crystal !@#$ anyways, so let's sell it in supermarkets so we can make a profit.

People will murder anyways, so let's sell them the tools so we can make it a profit.

"Ohhh Auctionshark, but those things kill people! We wouldn't sell them!" Yeah, and selling items for real money will kill this game. We need to stop it and draw the line right now. And please, for the love of god, READ THE SECOND PARAGRAPH OF MY OP.

While I don't agree with your RL analogies, I do kind of see your point.

I simply don't think it's that big of a gold maker imo. I mean I guess you could argue slippery-slope though.

EDIT: to be more concise
Edited by Cabal on 10/10/2011 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
50 Gnome Warlock
Some people don't want to spend real life money on a virtual pet. That is why it is tradeable. It isn't intended for people to just buy endlessly and sell for a profit, because honestly that's just stupid ($100 for an amount of gold you could make within an hour or two).

You can make 400k+ gold in profit over an hour or two?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]