Blizzard, you've crossed the line

90 Orc Warrior
10/10/2011 11:06 AMPosted by Bomdanil
You can make 400k+ gold in profit over an hour or two?

You're honestly telling me that you think anybody is going to make that much without spending thousands of dollars?

As a rough estimate (with EVERYONE who's going to be flocking to buy and sell the pet) that the price will go below 1000 gold, easily. Something like 300-500.

I'm not going to bother to do the math, but you'd need a LOT of pets to make half of 400k.

I was actually referring to the first post, the joke about $100 for 2k. Gold isn't that hard to come by.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior

What "THINGS" exactly? The only thing they can sell are pets. They can't stop me from farming, making potions, running Firelands and getting my own BoEs, etc... what are they somehow going to hold guns to people's heads and make them keep buying companion pets?

Are they going to become the companion mafia?

No but if they sell those pets, they can buy your potions and everyone elses, raise the price and then whenever someone puts them up, buy them cheap and then sell them more. Corner the market on anything they have the money and desire for.

What does some guy cornering a market on the AH have to do with people buying a pet? People are going to do that regardless if you can buy this pet with gold or not. This is a non issue if you ask me. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
10/10/2011 11:14 AMPosted by Goblingirl
For example, if the consumer of the pet is willing to pay 15,000 gold for the $10 pet, and gold sellers sell 10,000 gold for $10,....!

If people were to pay 15k for something as trivial as a vanity pet, then they are complete morons.

If people were to pay $10 for something as trivial as a vanity pet, then they are complete morons.

But they do, now don't they?

;)
Reply Quote
Bashiok, since you seem to be reading this thread, I'll post this here.

I've seen what "unlimited supplies of a purchasable ingame item" does to a game economy.

I was on GaiaOnline when they switched their policy of "Two Donation Items" (rare, like the TCG items) to "Infinite Donation Items" (as this pet will be) - it basically did the following to their economy:

People with a ton of real life money began to flood the market with items. This doesn't seem like anything bad - the items are cheap right?

Seem that way until you realize that all the "rich" people now have huge amoutns of gold, which they use to buy up rare or hard to get items and repost them at huge amounts. this continues until there's NOTHING available for any reasonable amount of money.

Then you end up with situations where anyone NEW to the game ends up being unable to use the AH at all, being as they will never have enough money to do so.

Naturally, with the punishing fees for putting up items with high buyouts, even if Peacebloom is selling for 500g a stack, a new player cannot put the item up for that much, meaning it will get snapped up, repriced and sold by someone who DOES have money, keeping the newer players perpetually poor.

Inflation caused by this sort of action also encourages botters and gold sellers to go ahead and continue to advertise because it's now impossible to ever get enough money to deal with the AH elite.

Go sign up on Gaia, and go LOOK at their AH. This is NOT what you want to do to WoW!
Reply Quote
70 Worgen Druid
If cash buys gold (even indirectly), and gold buys stuff off the AH, why not implement a RMAH directly?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
10/10/2011 10:35 AMPosted by Bashiok
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It didn't have an adverse affect on the economy because those loot cards are rare. There's no way to know before buying the booster pack if you are getting one or not. By the very nature of their rare and random nature, they prevent any adverse affect on the economy. Bad example, Bash.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

There's no new gold being introduced when buying from the farmers either. It's technically in the economy once it drops from the mob or is received from the vendor or the quest/npc. Another bad example, Bash. Honestly, you think farmers don't buy legit auctions? You know they do better than we do; you have the data that says that.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

The ultimate goal seems more sinister. Yes, it requires donning a tinfoil hat for a moment, but in all honesty, anyone that understands long term business plans can come to the same conclusion just as quickly as I did (probably faster). This is yet another "testing the waters" move to see what the community will accept. At some point, regardless of how vehemently you defend against it, gear/gold/advantage will be sold for real cash. Baby steps like this, to see what the community will accept, are what pave the way to those transactions.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
As a rough estimate (with EVERYONE who's going to be flocking to buy and sell the pet) that the price will go below 1000 gold, easily. Something like 300-500.

I don't think people would spend $10 to get 1,000 gold.

Ultimately, supply and demand will determine the appropriate exchange.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The whole thing is if Blizzard is going to start allowing players to exchange their virtual currency for US$ via their online store, then PLAYERS should be allowed to sell their gold as well.

I'm against gold selling, but if it's going to be illegal then Blizzard needs to follow its own rules as well. 10$ for 2000g in the OP's example sounds like a market monopoly to me.

I've worked very hard to earn the gold I have in WoW (very frugal, not cheap)... gold buying/selling also leads to tons of spam. I'm also not trying to accuse Blizzard of anything. The entire policy of selling BoE items for RL money is just a bad idea. We already pay 15$ a month to play this game.
Edited by Bridius on 10/10/2011 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/10/2011 11:14 AMPosted by Goblingirl
For example, if the consumer of the pet is willing to pay 15,000 gold for the $10 pet, and gold sellers sell 10,000 gold for $10,....!

If people were to pay 15k for something as trivial as a vanity pet, then they are complete morons.

so wait we are equating in game gold thats already part of the server economy, no matter what the sellers asking price is...to a gold seller that takes your cash and puts an amount of gold into the game economy for you that didnt exist before.. /facepalm

Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Except, if you read the FAQ, it's outright stated it's tradable as an alternative to buying gold from gold sellers.

So that's what they're doing.

Right... When you find me a entire server that will jump at a $10 pet, which most pet collectors will just spend the RL money on anyways, that will spend enough money on these to make a large enough economical dent to ruin the servers economy, then give me a shout.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
10/10/2011 11:09 AMPosted by Marathel
Those 10 dollar pets are not going to go for that high. Those mounts like the spectral tiger sure.

$10 a pet for 10 pets. Initial market will have high saturation, but you'll see these going for 20-30k after about a month because the rush will be over. So a $100 investment for 200-300k in pure gold profit with likely full market control due to lack of competition.

You're also ignoring bulk vs supply by comparing these pets to the spectral tiger. Yes, a tiger will go for a lot. However, so will these pets when sold in quantity.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

You can spend $100 for a box of the TCG packs and not get a mount card.

You can spend $100 for 10 of these pets.

You can't reasonably compare what you're doing here to what was done in the TCG. Your intent is nice, but these are ultimately going to be used to buy gold.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

no offense but how can you not see the difference in this scenario?

one is a SUPER RARE mount you get from a trading card with such a low probability of obtaining that you can't play the AH selling hundreds of them and using that gold to buy better gear to make yourself better.

and the other is...well...the opposite of the first one :/

you can buy tons of these pets now and then sell them for gold, use that gold for better equipment, and now you've successfully made a F2P MMORPG microtransaction...CONGRATS! :/
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
10/10/2011 11:19 AMPosted by Toxarís
so wait we are equating in game gold thats already part of the server economy, no matter what the sellers asking price is...to a gold seller that takes your cash and puts an amount of gold into the game economy for you that didnt exist before.. /facepalm

I don't think I explained my stuff that well in my posts, but this is what I mean.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter

that's very naive of you and blizz and those "loot cards" sold on ebay for hundreds of dollars and lets not say how the farmers used them too,just as they will use and abuse this also.imo
stop beating around the bush and just open everything up for real money and still charge 14.99 a month to play..it's all about the $
and your not fooling anyone with this hogwash..damn cant wait for dec15
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
10/10/2011 11:19 AMPosted by Callax
Right... When you find me a entire server that will jump at a $10 pet, which most pet collectors will just spend the RL money on anyways, that will spend enough money on these to make a large enough economical dent to ruin the servers economy, then give me a shout.

Paying 20-30k for a single use pet is what pet collectors are going to be doing. No pet collector will pay $10 USD for a single use pet item unless it's only available through a BoP item (like the TCG pets).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]