PvP gear in PvE. Why is it bad?

90 Tauren Death Knight
So I was just wondering why PvP armor is bad in dungeons.(I get insta-kicked in raids because of the PvP armor) PvP armor has been a major upgrade to everything that dropped in dungeons. Something out of a dungeon might have 405 stamina, 25 strength, and 700 armor.(Just random numbers) I often find that PvP gear would have more stats and better stats.(500 stamina, 50 strength, agility, Resilience, 900 armor) People have said that resilience just automatically makes you suck if you are not in PvP. I am willing to grind PvE armor, but I still want to know why PvP armor is bad if it is a clear upgrade to PvE armor. Thank you for your time!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
No offense but I truly hope you aren't this stupid......
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
It's not bad if it's an upgrade, but there's virtually always an easily obtainable PvE item that will be better than what you can get in PvP(depends on your class). I.e. for warriors, there's 346 heroic blues better than 371 PvP pieces, and 359/365 epics better than anything you can get in PvP. Weapons are an exception, since so much of their value is dependent on the DPS determined by ilvl rather than the secondary stats on the item.
Edited by Rallik on 10/11/2011 8:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
resil doesn't do anything in PvE content. Your resiliance is thus a wasted stat. The increase in your main stat (strength, int, agil etc) from the higher ilvl PvP item has to be so much higher to make up for the big loss in a secondary stat (crit, haste, hit, etc). While a PvP piece may have +10 strength, it's 150 resil or w/e it has would be 150 hit or something if it was a PvE piece.

You're replacing a good secondary stat for a stat and a little bit of main stat. It's usually not worth it. PvP gear also usually points out to raid leaders or group members that you aren't willing to work on a PvE set and just want to be carried through to good PvE pieces instead of grinding them out (which you barely have to do now that you can buy T11 with JPs). That may not be the case with you, but that's how a lot of PvP wearers are perceived.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Your 352 Blue PvP gear is not better then Za/Zg gear or even 346 blues from normal heroics.

Yes, a 384 or maybe even a 371 will be big upgrades from 353/346 gear from heroics. But not your gear.

Also, you getting kicked probably has a lot more to do with you gemming agility, stamina, and using ELEMENTAL SLAYER on your weapon as a death knight.

Possible troll?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
PvP gear can be better than PvE gear in many cases. I was wearing my 2 piece (384 helm/shoulders) for ever until rag finally decided to pony up a token. The stats and bonus was better than the alternatives I had. Happens a lot. Same with the weapon, but that was 391 tbf.

But for freakin' dungeons? The 384 (and prob most of the 371) pvp gear is going to be better than the 346 blues normally required to get in. I guess you could make an argument for tanks, but honestly with some reforges, tanking a Z? in ruthless would be cake (esp with the ez mode buff).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There are cases where particular pieces of PvP gear are better than PvE gear that you may have already obtained (particularly blue pieces from 5 mans). Particularly with things like weapons or shields where you can't get a high level item without a lot of gold and/or actual raiding.

But, the important message you broadcast by showing up to a raid in all/mostly PvP gear is that you're lazy and don't care. There are easy to obtain PvE pieces that are down-right better than PvP gear regardless of iLvL and that you won't make an effort to procure them demonstrates a form of laziness people simply don't want represented in their raid.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Trust me, it's not only your pvp gear that is making people cringe.

A list of things you are doing which are terrible:

1. You're using subpar pvp gear which is just terrible for pve.

2. Your gemming is nothing short of bad. I'm not sure what you think you're doing with your pro agility gems, but it really shows you don't know your stat priorities.

3. Both your talent choices and glyphs (or lack of) also show that you don't know what you're doing at all.

4. 6 unenchanted items, 3 empty gem slots, and missing a belt buckle.

5. Your reforging is terrible, you're reforging stats away for crit, which is the worst possible stat for any death knight spec.

6. Last but not least, you're using elemental slayer as a Death Knight.

Basically, take five minutes to learn what you're even doing before coming to the forums complaining about being kicked from groups. I would not hesitate to kick you either.
Edited by Wèsleysnipes on 10/11/2011 10:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
-4000 mastery rating is good for tanking.
You gain like, 500 str instead, good trade off.

Oh, and gemming agility.

Classy.
Edited by Asane on 10/11/2011 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
The only case where PvP gear works for PvE is when :
1.-You dont have 365 epics yet.
2.-You actually have good PvP gear (full ruthless 384)
3.-You are meele (if you are a caster class with pvp, instant kick)
4.-You cap your hit at 8% (easiliy obtainable with JP Trinket assuming you are any good at pvp and have 5% alredy).
5.-You alredy have a main character doing reasonable content (you know the fights) and you're gearing a PvP alt.

Full 384 PvP = average 362 or 363 PvE under above conditions in terms of dps.

That means, if youre gearing for the first time a character, DONT USE PVP YOU PUGTARD! gear it like the rest of us.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
Acceptable is when:

1. You have a few pieces of PvP gear that are good. I accept people with Vicious (371) shoulders and helms since those pieces tend to be the hardest PvE pieces to obtain. A few pieces of PvP won't kill, or you have PvP weapons - if they are high-level the weapon DPS will beat out lower level PvE.
3. The rest of your gear is good - easily obtainable 353, 359, 365, 378 pieces are there.
4. Your gear is properly gemmed/enchanted/itemized.

Also, it helps if I know you and I know you are PvE-capable.

It does not help if:

1. You're a tank and you are in full PvP. Full PvP is bad. There are easily obtainable decent PvE items that are much better.
2. You just suck at your class, mostly the case looking at you.
3. You do not take cheap good enchants even if you are poor (hint: runeforging is free)
4. If you are a DK and you do not runeforge it can be an instant kick in my books. It is the pinnacle of retardation when it comes to "not knowing your class."
5. You don't know the meaning of secondary stats. I would raid-kick you.

6. You don't know the meaning of secondary stats and you are a tank. I would g-kick you for being an embarassment.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
OP is clearly a troll. I refuse to believe ANYONE is that stupid. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch 1000 Ways to Die.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
OP would be right if he was playing a Feral Bear.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
Everyone do the herp de derp dance
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Trust me, it's not only your pvp gear that is making people cringe.

A list of things you are doing which are terrible:

1. You're using subpar pvp gear which is just terrible for pve.

2. Your gemming is nothing short of bad. I'm not sure what you think you're doing with your pro agility gems, but it really shows you don't know your stat priorities.

3. Both your talent choices and glyphs (or lack of) also show that you don't know what you're doing at all.

4. 6 unenchanted items, 3 empty gem slots, and missing a belt buckle.

5. Your reforging is terrible, you're reforging stats away for crit, which is the worst possible stat for any death knight spec.

6. Last but not least, you're using elemental slayer as a Death Knight.

Basically, take five minutes to learn what you're even doing before coming to the forums complaining about being kicked from groups. I would not hesitate to kick you either.

I pretty sure why he's gemming all that agility is he's trying to get really high crit (which begs the question why doesn't he gem straight crit) since agility used to give plate DPS crit.

On the related question, I do not mind PVP geared DPS as long they are putting out he appropriate dps.

HOWEVER.... PVP geared tanks and healers I do not approve since as a healer and a tank you need every single stat possible. I have yet to see a pvp tank or healer that can keep up with a PVE tank or healer.

Also the original poster's armory is terrible. I would definitely kick him in a dungeon or a raid pug.
Reply Quote
55 Worgen Death Knight
4.-You cap your hit at 8% (easiliy obtainable with JP Trinket assuming you are any good at pvp and have 5% alredy).
5.-You alredy have a main character doing reasonable content (you know the fights) and you're gearing a PvP alt.

That means, if youre gearing for the first time a character, DONT USE PVP YOU PUGTARD! gear it like the rest of us.

The list should be

1. You are running with guildies

then and only if #1 applies, your list.

Just think of it this way having pvp gear in pve is like having pve gear in pvp.
Reply Quote
32 Worgen Warrior
because agility gems
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior

The list should be

1. You are running with guildies

then and only if #1 applies, your list.

Just think of it this way having pvp gear in pve is like having pve gear in pvp.

Getting booted from the dungeons is the sign that he shouldn't be
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
back in patch 2.3 when they added resilience (I think it was 2.3 it might've been 2.2 or 2.4), they made this separation exactly so pve-pvp gear is differentiated.

yes, rogues would still charge out the gates with warglaives flying, because it was more effecive to show the glaives than to stay vanished but you get the idea.

they broke pve-pvp cross-gearing on purpose.

so "why is it bad?".

"because they dont want you to use it".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]