DK Tier 13 Thread

90 Undead Death Knight
Thats very thoughtful of Blizzard.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
No, as far as I know we don't plan to make it a reveal at BlizzCon, though there's a chance the timing of its release could, by coincidence, be around that time. It's still planned to be revealed in the same manner the rest have been -- via a blog on our front page with the visual retrospective of previous tiers and developer description.

We'd love to post it by next week if we can, but I can't promise that with all the BlizzCon preparations taking place.

(The only reason I'm posting right now is because I've been at work for 13 hours today: twitter.com/talkingcongas/status/124695686452228096)

I'll give you a bit of the lowdown on why the death knight set hasn't come out yet, even in the 4.3 PTR files third-party sites are looking through. As with all sets, a concept art piece was done for death knight tier 13. When that was translated to the actual in-game look, we felt it wasn't up to par with the concept, and ultimately wasn't nearly at the quality level of the other tier 13 sets. But, that death knight set was completed weeks ago.

So, there are times where multiple iterations of how a set will look in the game are made, based on the original concept piece. In this case though, we felt there to be such a gap in quality that we went back to the drawing board and came up with an entirely new piece of concept art, scrapping the original concept and in-game art done for death knights.

Well, I can say the new concept art is done and the set is close to being ready for image captures. I've not seen either, but I've heard very good things. :)

This is just a thought but im sure it will get released before then. I'm just curious as to why all the other tier 13 models were datamined from the PTR but they decided to keep DK one out. Are they just still working on it or is there some kind of big announcement planned for DKs? The only thing datamined found on the PTR were the icons for the set which look a little frosty.

what yall think?

I'm glad someone shed a little light on the situation. Thank you much!
Reply Quote
49 Dwarf Warrior
I'll give you a bit of the lowdown on why the death knight set hasn't come out yet, even in the 4.3 PTR files third-party sites are looking through. As with all sets, a concept art piece was done for death knight tier 13. When that was translated to the actual in-game look, we felt it wasn't up to par with the concept, and ultimately wasn't nearly at the quality level of the other tier 13 sets. But, that death knight set was completed weeks ago.

So, there are times where multiple iterations of how a set will look in the game are made, based on the original concept piece. In this case though, we felt there to be such a gap in quality that we went back to the drawing board and came up with an entirely new piece of concept art, scrapping the original concept and in-game art done for death knights.

Wow, here's my 2 cents, I guess.

If you took that kind of time with the actual gameplay instead of the art you'd work for a developer who pushes a game many orders of magnitude the quality that it is now, because although some of the modern artwork looks good, nothing matters when everything is clunky and unbalanced - except your dozen RP servers who don't raid/pvp hard enough to collect the good looking gear until months after new stuff has been released.

That's wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight

Well, I can say the new concept art is done and the set is close to being ready for image captures. I've not seen either, but I've heard very good things. :)

you know that now we expect our minds to be blown away, right ?

know you folks are anxious to see what you'll want to be wearing, but I hope my post helped shine some light on the delay. ;)

really ? .. shine some light ? dont you know we are kinda allergic to it ? õ.o
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
really ? .. shine some light ? dont you know we are kinda allergic to it ? õ.o

Zeee light it burrrnns.

It's nice to know that the set will have had lots of work out into it. even if it was scrapped, once.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman

As with all sets, a concept art piece was done for death knight tier 13.

Would there be any chance of ever seeing this original after the new set is released? Concept art by the artists are usually pretty damn awesome.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
3 things.

1.) I am a little sad it took a thread in general instead of the multiple threads in the Death Knight Forums to get a blue to post.

2.) I echo the "Please no Skulls or Spikes"

3.) Dk T12 Shoulders are skulls that sit on your shoulder. I'm sorry, but they are. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you. They aren't "gaudy" or "terrible" like T11 *shudders* but they are still skulls.

If I have to have skulls make them look like T12.

Also, Please no horns on the helm. That is VER overplayed. I don't need horns extended up, or curving around the helm. So far the only Dk tier that hasn't had something like this was the DK tier 9 for Horde, and thats because we were the sorry blue recolor of that set.

Reply Quote

It's amazing how damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't Blizzard is on... well, everything. It's so sad to watch them try so hard and people complain no matter what they do. Here, they decided to open up part of their design process for the gaming public, to show us something special and do it in an official way since there's clearly a demand for it since people have been doing it in an unofficial way for some time. So they say: here is your cool bonus! And people's reaction is: WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE FROM US?!?!

Wow. They can't give us something nice without people freaking out and inventing conspiracies about it. Maybe, guys: they're just a gaming company, one that has an iterative design process that sometimes takes a little longer than normal. I know the truth is WAY more boring than the elaborate plots that have been concocted, but frankly that's how all of life works: the truth is always more boring than the lies. Sorry.
Edited by Arabeth on 10/14/2011 7:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
The only thing that has me unhappy about the blue post is that it is in general and not in the DK forums, where they have been clamoring on about DK T13, and its lack of release for a while now.

I'm also hopeful that this thread will stop the idiotic idea that "they are making our old tiers for us!". That is just terrible speculation that has already been shot down by the blues.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
So far Tier 13 has been the best set yet (Paladin helm is the ONLY thing I'm questionable about, but if one piece of one set in the entire tier is the worst thing about it, then it's doing pretty damn good).

I have high hopes for the DK set. It seems Blizzard has constantly improved their designs as the years go by. Sure, I don't think they could ever beat Paladin Tier 2 or Priest Tier 8, but that doesn't take away from the new releases (Priest Tier 13 is pure awesome).

There is proof that Vanilla designs were not the greatest. Look at Hunter Tier 1-3. I felt so bad for you guys.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
Paladin T6 > Paladin T2. I say this as a former paladin. But then... I'm actually a Dk who says T12 is the best looking set we have had, and that T11 was the worst, most awful, hideous joke I have seen.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I'm most curious to know if the set we're getting is the one we've seen via icons, or if those icons are from the old set.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
I do think it is a bit rediculous that we still have not seen the DK Teri 13 gear. Kind of like new Undead hair cut, doubting we will ever see it...............
Reply Quote
24 Tauren Warrior

Could you convince the art team wither with this release or at Blizzcon to show the rejected and the current set as an example of quality control? That'd be something I would be interested in seeing.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I feel for you DKs, but take some comfort in this:

At least Blizzard acknowledged the design needed a re-work. It could have been worse. You could have been left with the DK analog of the Druid T12 set. A piece of me dies each time I have to look at that. :(

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
10/14/2011 02:44 AMPosted by Vellius
I'm sorry i didn't know having a skull on your armor automatically made you sinister looking, I guess I'll try and remember that the next time i transmog my DK into his starter blues which imo was the best looking set. (void of skulls of course and the only one so if you would note)
While i agree, the starter gear was nice, it wasn't and isn't the only DK gear that has no skulls on it. Tier 12 has NO skulls. I get that the majority have had them, but there are 2 sets without skulls at the moment.

oh, check this out > http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=38661:38632:38666:38663:38665:38669:38667:38670:38668#. < it's the Blue DK set for those that may have forgotten what it looked like. You can select a View in 3D from the drop down tab if you aren't familiar with Wowhead

10/14/2011 02:25 AMPosted by Ghostpwn
Don't see why you care so much. If it's like half the other tier 13 sets, you'll just transmog it anyway.
Yeah, nothing petty in this statement. I for one, will not be transmogging any of my t13 or armor at all on any of my characters. I am looking forward to getting those peices on all of my characters. IF anything i might transmog the pally pvp gear onto the pally t13 just because of how awesome it looks, and not because the pally t13 looks bad, cause it doesn't, but i prefer the pvp gear.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Undead Death Knight
I'm really curious to see if the Icons that were datamined are for the old version or the new version.

I will say one thing about those icons, I really like the idea of a white DK set. It would look very different from the colors we normally get but could still be bone and have a very death related vibe.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]