Why can't I stop leveling at 19 on free accou

(Locked)

What's the big difference between 19 and 20?
90 Gnome Warlock
One level?

Not sure what you are asking here, the developers decieded that the trial accounts should not be allowed to turn off XP. That means that you will gain experience until you hit 20. There should be no reason why a trial account would want to trun off experience. They are not meant to be free to play, they are meant to be an unlimited time trial account with trial restrictions.
86 Goblin Warlock
10/12/2011 01:31 PMPosted by Spambot

You should be able to disable your experience, its sort of expensive, for somebody without ability to trade or use the auction house.
100 Dwarf Hunter
The big difference is the BG bracket you belong to. And it is a BIG difference.

No one wants a ton of free, non-paying level 19 twinks to dominate the lower brackets for those paying with XP turned off, except for the gankers of course.
Edited by Giresse on 10/12/2011 1:55 PM PDT
90 Gnome Warlock
10/12/2011 01:34 PMPosted by Hathios

You should be able to disable your experience, its sort of expensive, for somebody without ability to trade or use the auction house.

No you can't on a trial account. This was recently changed.
90 Goblin Mage
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3342097398#5
10/11/2011 07:39 PMPosted by Vrakthris
Has turning off xp option been removed from trial accounts?

Yes, it looks like the option for trial accounts to turn off experience was removed. I don't believe they were intended to have such an option, so that was fixed. Sorry for the confusion, Ysabell.
Edited by Moriarty on 10/12/2011 1:46 PM PDT
Support Forum Agent
10/12/2011 01:31 PMPosted by Spambot

The biggest difference would be a PvP bracket. Starter Editions/Trial accounts are intended for people to try out the game, to see if they would like to purchase it. Not remain at a popular twink level indefinitely, in order to only participate in that play style.

You are welcome to twink, if that is your preferred play style, an upgraded and active account will allow you to do that.

The Starter Edition FAQ has been updated to reflect the new restriction.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20590
20 Troll Hunter
thanks Vrak, for totally ignoring me/locking the other thread. you are a great representative for blizzard and i hope you have a shining evaluation this year.

blizzard is certainly allowed to place new restrictions...and thank you for calling it a new restriction instead of saying "wow is free to play up to level 20....wow is not free to play" etc.

as an aside i'd like to talk about a pizza place in my town. a lot of people like their pizza, a lot don't, but even more than these combined have no idea what their pizza is like. so they came up with an ongoing campaign to advertise their pizza, by giving away free slices every day to anyone who wants one. you're allowed up to one slice per day for free. some people become regular paying customers, some do not, while some prefer to come by once a day and have their free slice and never pay.

for some crazy reason, the owner of the pizza place became bitter about his own idea even though he was clearly making a lot more money for his business than he was losing in free slices. he started calling people "leeches" under his breath. his paying customers would even throw chewed up pizza crust at people who did not order full meals. finally, he started ripping the cheese off of the top of free slices saying "it was never my intention to give away free cheese with my slices." some of his paying customers even honestly believed that by ripping off the cheese from the free slices, people who were abused by him would give in and pay for a full pizza with cheese. silly leeches, taking what's offered to them and playing by the rules set by who is offering.

90 Goblin Mage
Discostu, please pay attention to the Forum Code of Conduct before posting as calling others out and trolling are both violations that can result in loss of posting privileges.

http://us.battle.net/community/conduct
100 Dwarf Hunter
And some people, no matter how free and delicious the pizza is, will still complain about it.

90 Gnome Warlock
Discostu, again the restrictions on the TRIAL accounts are clearly posted. It is not meant to be a free "I can do everything a pay account can do" account. It is a trial account that is free to play an unlimited time on. It is still bound by all of the trial restritions that are clearly posted when you create it.

Not sure what has you so bent out of shape, or why you feel you have to attack other posters and Blizzard. They closed a loop hole that people were exploiting.
80 Blood Elf Paladin
10/12/2011 02:40 PMPosted by Discóstü
some prefer to come by once a day and have their free slice and never pay.

And the owner is well within his right to restrict the people who take advantage of his generosity. It's HIS business, so you play by HIS rules.

EDIT TO ADD: Since I read the reply in the other thread, let's make something perfectly clear. A trial account has ALWAYS been free, since the Battle.net switch. Anyone could create a Battle.net account and add a trial, or add a trial to their existing Battle.net account.

The problem was that the trial only lasted 10 days, and Blizzard felt it was too restrictive for players who could only play on the weekends (as an example). So, they removed the 10-day limit. Outside websites, such as Steam, were the ones who took hold of that and listed WoW as "free to play", without listing the details behind it. Blizzard, as far as I know, did not have any advertising that WoW was free to play.

The trial is the same as it always was, without the 10-day limit. They recently closed a loophole that allowed twinks to use the XP off feature and never pay a dime. That is their right, because it is THEIR game.
Edited by Madisón on 10/12/2011 3:03 PM PDT
20 Troll Hunter
and still, some people, instead of enjoying their pizza that they paid for, like to meddle in others' affairs and condescendingly tap the sign on the wall that posts the pizza place's code of conduct, regardless of whether or not anyone has broken it.

right, cheese was a loophole.

was my anecdote an attack? clearly, i must've hit on something if it is seen as such.

whoever said trial accounts ( i mean TRIAL accounts, cuz i wouldn't know what you were talking about but that you capitalized it for me) are asking for more than blizzard offered on blizzard's terms? why are you so quick to join the crust throwers instead of listening to a reasonable point?
20 Troll Hunter
madison, i think i already said that and yet you seem to be taking a counter point of view. not sure what you are arguing because how could trial accounts NOT play by blizzard's rules?
80 Blood Elf Paladin
10/12/2011 03:02 PMPosted by Discóstü
and still, some people, instead of enjoying their pizza that they paid for, like to meddle in others' affairs and condescendingly tap the sign on the wall that posts the pizza place's code of conduct, regardless of whether or not anyone has broken it.

I believe Scuba took your comment of "thank you Vrak, I hope you have a shining evaluation" as complete and utter sarcasm (as did I). In that vein, YOU are the one being condescending and yes, not abiding by the Forum CoC.

If that was not your intention, then apologies on behalf of myself and Scuba. But it leads to even more confusion as to what you are complaining about. Assuming (this time) that you are NOT being sarcastic, then you acknowledged that Blizzard has the right to change the conditions.

So, if you would clarify, what's with the pizza parlor analogy? And what is your issue? Please, directly to the point. There is nothing wrong with constructive feedback on Blizzard's policies, but throwing out half-baked (pun intended) analogies is not very constructive.
Edited by Madisón on 10/12/2011 3:08 PM PDT
90 Gnome Warlock

right, cheese was a loophole.

was my anecdote an attack? clearly, i must've hit on something if it is seen as such.

whoever said trial accounts ( i mean TRIAL accounts, cuz i wouldn't know what you were talking about but that you capitalized it for me) are asking for more than blizzard offered on blizzard's terms? why are you so quick to join the crust throwers instead of listening to a reasonable point?

No your posts are very argumentative and personally attack other posters. None of us are tapping a sign or throwing crusts. I capitalized the word trial, because you seem to not understand that, that is what it is. A trial. It has all of the restrictions clearly listed.

The loophole was the fact that people were using a free trial account to stop XP and play in a lower bracket to twink without a paid account. This is not how Blizzard intended the trial to work. They closed the loophole.

I actually do not see a reasonable point being made by you, just personal attacks on anyone that doesn't agree with you.
80 Blood Elf Priest
Well, let's continue with the pizzaria story.

The question in this thread translates into:

Yesterday and for the past few days, the pizza shop owner offered pepperoni and lots of sausage on those free slices of pizza, but today and going forward, offers pepperoni and only a few bits of sausage. Why? What's the difference?

Cost-wise? Not much, but (1) if that additional sausage is something that people particularly want, then they will be willing to pay for it, and (2) again, it's the shop owner's decision. It's his free pizza, he can give out what he wishes.

I guess I don't understand the tone of the last few posts in this thread.

Great. Now, I'm hungry. Thanks a bunch, guys. /glare
Edited by Zouche on 10/12/2011 3:11 PM PDT
I feel that Blizz is picking on only me. This situation would be rare for most people to do. I chose to stop leveling at 19, I didn't see the harm in it. I have several 85's. I have paid for a few years in the past. Yet, Blizz wants to be so anal about playing at 19 for 2 days. It's ridiculous.

You have so many restrictions already, I don't see how people would enjoy themselves enough in the trial account to want to pay for this.

Thank you.
Support Forum Agent
thanks Vrak, for totally ignoring me/locking the other thread. you are a great representative for blizzard and i hope you have a shining evaluation this year.

My pleasure, Discostu, thank you for understanding that these forums are primarily for players to discuss the game with other players. While those of us who moderate the forum try to address what questions we can, we may not be able to address everything.

Also understand that those of us who moderate this forum are not Developers, nor liaisons to them. While I can appreciate your views, even if I don't agree with them, I am unable to forward your feedback to those who make those changes to the game and Starter Edition/Trial restrictions. If you wish to provide feedback regarding this matter it would be more appropriate to post in the General Discussion forum.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]