Female Character Development is gone?

18 Human Warrior
I have nodiced this more and more. It seems that Blizz has been watering down the strong female chars. Let me show you some examples

Jania- back in WC 3 Jania was the kind of girl willing to sacrifce anything for the greater good. I mean she even helped slay her own father to help save the orcs. Then Wrath came along and she turned into this Emotionaly fragile girl who cried about almost everything. She also started falling all over Varian even though he is her polar oppisite when it comes to the horde.

Tyrande- I see Tyrande as the biggest dissapointment. Back in WC 3 she was cool. She had no problem turning orc, naga, undead, demon, etc into living pincushions and she was independant despite her love for Malfurion. Then in the novels (Stromrage especially) she was turned into an insecure teenager and Malfurion's armcandy. Pretty much becoming the WOW verson of Bella Swan.

Aggra-Aggra had a lot of potential to become an independant female character. Instead she became Thrall's armcandy nuff said.

Alexstrasza-At first Alexstrasza was tough able to take on not only captivity by the orcs but being able to take on Deatwing soon after she was finally freed. Then Krasus died and she turned into an emo wreck. I mean COMEON she probally has like 10 or 12 other consorts waiting the wings.

The only really strong female lead left is Sylvanas and shes insane

So PLEASE Blizz make some REAL female Character Development PLEASE!!
Edited by Baldr on 2/11/2012 11:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
We have quite a few up and coming women. Jaina isn't dead yet so there is no telling what she'll do. Although its in her nature to take a more reasonable and diplomatic approach.

Sylvanas isn't crazy. She is just taking names and kicking butt.

Aggra and Zeala are two promising female orc leaders that have a chance at becoming major lore characters.

Alleria and Turalyon are probably coming back in this expansion or the next.

I have to agree with you on the tyrande subject though. She went form proactive warrior to hermit pretty quick.
Edited by Aharown on 10/16/2011 7:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
She also started falling all over Varian even though he is her polar oppisite when it comes to the horde.

No, she didn't. She booted his !@# right out of Undercity when he took up arms against Thrall. Sure, she cries when Varian lets Saurfang through, but that is from relief of realizing that Varian won't let his hatred and drive for vengeance ruin him as it did Arthas and Daelin. Man or woman deserves a few tears after such a realization.
Reply Quote
A couple of those are debatable, and you forgot a few.

However:
10/16/2011 07:28 AMPosted by Aharown
Aggra and Zeala are two promising female orc leaders that have a chance at becoming major lore characters.
You've gotta be jerkin' my chain. Aggra is less a distinct character than a reward that the lore team gave Thrall.
Edited by Khasiim on 10/16/2011 7:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
18 Human Warrior

Which ones are debatable? Also if you to add more just say there their name and what blizz did to ruin them?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
It seems to be as of late the women are starting to make a comeback, starting to being the key words.
Reply Quote
10/16/2011 08:12 AMPosted by Baldr
Which ones are debatable? Also if you to add more just say there their name and what blizz did to ruin them?
Alexstrasza's breakdown wasn't just over Korialstrasz dying. The circumstances of his death led her to think he was in league with the Twilight's Hammer, and that he'd killed himself and their eggs on the cult's orders.

So it wasn't just about the loss of her prime consort; it was about something that she thought, at the time, was a betrayal of the worst sort. Can you blame her for (temporarily) being an "emo wreck" over that?

The ones you forgot? Well, Maiev Shadowsong went and jumped off the slippery slope—as in, went from "character with antihero potential" to "another wacked-out elf wanting to kill everyone as painfully as possible; clearly destined to be a raid boss." And then, you've got characters like Gorgonna or Stormcaller Mylra, who show up, appear to have considerable potential...and then, just kind of fall off the radar.
Edited by Khasiim on 10/16/2011 8:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
There isn't a single character from Warcraft III that seems as powerful or compelling in WoW. Let's go ahead and stop using "back in WC3." Thrall's focus now is just ridiculous and most people don't like it. Thrall comes off as an incompetent and weak leader throughout WoW because he can't control his people and various plot devices. Blizzard expects us to have the same connection to Thrall now that we had in WC3 which was a DECADE ago. It's not going to happen. They should have worked on his character more before making him mechagodgreenJesusThrallasaurus.

The main problem is 1: Warcraft was made into an MMO and they've never done story telling well, 2: They let mediocre writers make awful, canonical novels and comics, 3: They focus on too few story threads at a time per expansion. No characters get a chance to shine for more than 2 minutes, if that.

Also, I'm pretty sure Jaina doesn't have a "thing" going for Varian and you're really SURPRISED that Deathwing can beat Alexstrasza? I also don't see the problem with Alexstrasza and Krasus. Her mate DIED. She showed the same emotions towards her son trying to hold Deathwing off himself while she escaped. Even without her portrayal, she would easily be the most emotional of all Aspects given she's the Aspect of Life and all. (And she's a DRAGON, why even list her?)

Yes, female characters need work, but so do a lot of characters regardless of whether there are more male than female characters in the limelight throughout WoW. Blizzard needs to hire better writers for Warcraft's expanded universe or stop novels/comics/manga all together. (At the very least, get Knaak out of there) It really upsets me when these terrible novels become canon, with their 15 or so retcons per novel. They need to stop doing hero centric expansions. Only the villains should be the focus, while both factions have their leaders appear through questing. Obviously, every zone with Alliance quests 1-60 needs another pass, but I doubt Blizzard will ever get around to it. They need their teams focused on raiding/pvp content and expansions to make more money.

And if you wanted my candidate for female character development, it would be Lorna Crowley, but as we know, Worgen content was never finished and they'll probably get no further development for the rest of WoW.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I just remember playing TFT, where Admiral Poudmoore came in and Jaina yelled at him, made this huge water elemental... and then dispelled it and ran away after a stern talking to from her father.

I just could not freaking believe it.

That was the beginning of the decline of her character.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sylvanas is a very dynamic character... like her or not. She has a lot of lore and is moving huge storylines along in game.

Moira is a new faction leader with a lot of potential. She causes internal conflict within Ironforge and the Alliance. She is a manipulative character, working from behind the scenes, she is very guarded as to her true intentions/motives aside from ensuring her son inherites Ironforge. This character has a lot of room to grow within the game (lore and gameplay-wise).

Tyrande in-game hasn't done much, I agree. In Wolfheart she does lead the NEs in Ashenvale, and in the Leader story she goes to save Shandris, so that's some facetime albeit shared with others. In the upcoming patch, we see Tyrande in Well of Eternity. Also, a number of quests have an Azshara vs Tyrande vibe. This can be explored much further in the next expansion or so. Tyrande is far from a dead character.

Shandris swings in against Cho'Gall in Ferelas, which is awesome. She also kicks butt in the Leader story.

Jaina is an extremely powerful character. Wanting peace doesn't make you weak. Compassion doesn't make you weak. Again, I don't think compassion has to always be described with teary eyes, but I don't think that inherently makes her a weak character - just annoying sometimes to read. A new book is coming out about Jaina, so she is going to get more lore. Also, this character has stood up to some of the most prominent characters in the game, whether it be in combat (Arthas) or in belief (Varian).

Alexstrasza/Ysera are both extremely powerful dragon aspects. Yes, Alex cried, and I think her reaction to Korialstrasz's and the eggs' deaths could have been handled better/differently, but I don't think a crying scene in one book eliminates everything else the character has done. It was a great moment of weakness... probably her lowest point.

Therazane is extremely powerful and the only elemental lord still in control of her plane.

Aggra/Zeala/Lorna/Tess/Queen Mia/etc. could potentially be made into major lore characters... they're too new at this point to tell IMO.
Reply Quote
18 Human Warrior
/bump
Reply Quote
Yeah, I'm really dissapointed with the Tyrande 180. If you haven't already done so, I recommend compairing her now to how she was in the WC3 campaign, it's a pretty big change.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Sylvanas went from regular bat!@#$s insane to fullblow crazy bat%^-*s insane.

There's some female development. Though to be honest, eventually we'll have to raid her if she keeps up like this.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Sylvanas went from regular bat!@#$s insane to fullblow crazy bat%^-*s insane.

There's some female development. Though to be honest, eventually we'll have to raid her if she keeps up like this.

I honestly don't know why I read your posts anymore.

However:
You've gotta be jerkin' my chain. Aggra is less a distinct character than a reward that the lore team gave Thrall.

Hey, you have to start somewhere. There was a time when Garrosh was just a wimpering whelp in Nagrand.
Edited by Aharown on 10/17/2011 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
81 Human Hunter
i just redid all the WC3 campaigns....

I was stunned at how different tyrande was especially when malfurion forbid her to release illidan and Tyrande said "only the goddess may forbid me"

Now she doesnt do anything :( or is weak =/

Tyrande was warlike yet sensible(defense of mount hyjal is my alltime favorite mission). Always thought it was cool when she stood on the bridge and starfalled down an undead horde despite the bridge breaking.

edit:WC3 voice>new incoming voice
Edited by Lasarkis on 10/17/2011 1:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
They should have used Rye Bread.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
10/17/2011 11:29 AMPosted by Aharown
I honestly don't know why I read your posts anymore.

If you are asking me to say that Sylvanas has any redeeming or likeable qualities, you may as well ask me to lie.

10/17/2011 11:29 AMPosted by Aharown
Hey, you have to start somewhere. There was a time when Garrosh was just a wimpering whelp in Nagrand.

Exactly my point, you have a great head on your shoulders to say such.

That's why we need less focus on Thrall and Sylvanas so that other people can have a turn at character development.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
It is my secret dream that Tess Greymane's character should be modeled on Integra Hellsing. We'll let her duke it out with Sylvanas. Now THAT would be a storyline worth watching!

/yes, I know they'll probably make her some whimpering Victorian Princess (if they give her a character at all)
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
When they killed off Lady Vashj they killed off the only major female character from lore I really liked.

Alexstrasza is sort of cool but she doesn't really do much.

Ysera has no character.

Jaina is and always has been a cry baby who needs to buck up and stop worrying about guys.

Tyrande is a "female dog" who can get away with being a "female dog" because she's sleeping with Malfurion.

Sylvanas was ok until she attacked the Worgen. Now I hate her.

Maiev was ok but then she killed Illidan so now I hate her.

Aggra is one of the worst characters in the game. Her only reason for existing is because Metzen wanted a girlfriend.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
10/17/2011 02:29 PMPosted by Seebach
f you are asking me to say that Sylvanas has any redeeming or likeable qualities, you may as well ask me to lie.

Does decisiveness count as a redeeming quality (Also, to most of her fans, being a sex icon certainly helps her case*...)? I'd certainly wish she'd share some of it with Jaina.

Yes, Sylvanas is a scheming, downright evil !@#$% who can only end in ruin unless a MAJOR change happens. But at least she does stuff. All Jaina does is sit back and cry since WC3..

* Speaking of which, if Sylvanas was a disfigured, stitched together MAN, I guarantee so many people wouldn't be so eager to hump her leg and follow her blithely into oblivion. Hell, even if the male version was BETTER than Sylvanas and not such a total ^-*!ing idiot, they'd still be calling for his blood.

EDIT: To the person above me-what about Moira and Magatha Grimtotem? Both are strong women who have actually done stuff.
Edited by Draxonicar on 10/17/2011 3:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]