Female Character Development is gone?

10/17/2011 11:29 AMPosted by Aharown
Hey, you have to start somewhere. There was a time when Garrosh was just a wimpering whelp in Nagrand.
Aggra is a designated love interest. She was created specifically to be a designated love interest, and to further Thrall's story (read: first play a role that would be served just as well by some part of his conscience, then ensure that the line of Frostwolf chieftains lives on). As long as Thrall is in the picture, it's likely that she will never have a story of her own.

Seriously: the only personality trait that she has, at all, is "tsundere."

10/17/2011 03:13 PMPosted by Gavirix
Jaina is and always has been a cry baby who needs to buck up and stop worrying about guys.
Bull. There was more to her than that before WoW. Hell, that behavior wasn't thrown in our face until recently.

Tyrande is a "female dog" who can get away with being a "female dog" because she's sleeping with Malfurion.
She'd have to have a backbone before one could call her that. And have you forgotten that it was originally the other way around?
Edited by Khasiim on 10/17/2011 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
old crone grimtotem is still owning even if she isn't really on our side so not all women are going down hill.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
/bump
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I don't normally like necros but this one's important.

We're seeing alot of up and coming women like Zen'tabra, Vanira, Lady Cozwyn, Joanna Blueheart, Kelsey Steelspark, Doc Cogspin, and Moira...

But we need to keep that momentum going.

And we need to STOP WITH THE CRYING AND MOPING

Tyrande, Jaina, Alexstraza, you can show emotions without going into breakdowns about your loved ones.

And can we have Ysera do something?

And Aggra be less of a one dimensional Thrall-baby factory? Please?

EDIT:

I mean seriously, I'm reminded of the time Garona was said to be the next den-mother for the orc race, and they said they'd make sure she did things other than make babies... it's like they decided not to use garona, and that because it was a new character, it was okay to make her flat and useless.

And speaking of Garona, why didn't she show up in the Twilight Citadel to kill Cho'gall? What's her deal now? I didn't read the comic but in the Twilight Highlands she just seemed... I don't know, in her initial quests she was "okay" but up top, the ones she shared with Shaw?

They felt forced. Like someone opened up a can of "Gritty female assasin" and poured it out.
Edited by Skytotem on 11/4/2011 11:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/16/2011 07:17 AMPosted by Baldr
At first Alexstrasza was tough able to take on not only captivity by the orcs but being able to take on Deatwing soon after she was finally freed. Then Krasus died and she turned into an emo wreck. I mean COMEON she probally has like 10 or 12 other consorts waiting the wings.

I donno. I thought Alexstrasza reacted pretty appropriately given the circumstances. She wasn't upset because "well shoot, I don't have a consort anymore," she was upset because she loved him. The bond between her and Krasus was much stronger than that of any of her previous consorts had been.

Krasus wasn't the only thing she lost, either. All of her children and the children of her friends and the other flights were completely obliterated. Mothers will often be empathetic to another mother's suffering, not to mention that when you are the Life Binder the tremendous loss of these lives is beyond upsetting.

Those two things combined are maddening enough, but there's one other factor: evidence was pointing towards Krasus that he was the one who responsible for the destruction of all the eggs. That's right, Alex, not only are your mate, children, and your friend's children dead, the one you loved and trusted the most is responsible for it all.

I honestly don't feel like she was overreacting at all when you look at everything that happened.

Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Rogue
Why is it always made out to be a bad thing if a woman suddenly wants to be a mom or a just kick it with her man? I'm not in support of what these awesome chicks became, but nor am I against them if that's what they 'want' to be. /shrug
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
They added a femlale faction leader: Moira. I personally find her very interesting and well developed. She is a portrayed as a layered character in the Shattering and in the dwarven leaders' short story. I would like to see more of her.

Sylvanas, even if you hate her, has been developed and shown in many of the Forsaken quests. She has had a large impact on the world.

Jaina has been quiet in Cata, but with her city being burned and a book centered on her coming out in the future, she's going to get some additional development/story - liking her story is different than her not having one.

Tyrande hasn't been very active in game, but she is getting a make over, participating in a dungeon, and has taken action in recent books and short stories.

I am all for more strong female characters, or the further development of the ones we have and love, but just dismissing the story developments made in cata isn't presenting a good arguement.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
I don't normally like necros but this one's important.

We're seeing alot of up and coming women like Zen'tabra, Vanira, Lady Cozwyn, Joanna Blueheart, Kelsey Steelspark, Doc Cogspin, and Moira...

But we need to keep that momentum going.

And we need to STOP WITH THE CRYING AND MOPING

Tyrande, Jaina, Alexstraza, you can show emotions without going into breakdowns about your loved ones.

And can we have Ysera do something?

And Aggra be less of a one dimensional Thrall-baby factory? Please?

EDIT:

I mean seriously, I'm reminded of the time Garona was said to be the next den-mother for the orc race, and they said they'd make sure she did things other than make babies... it's like they decided not to use garona, and that because it was a new character, it was okay to make her flat and useless.

And speaking of Garona, why didn't she show up in the Twilight Citadel to kill Cho'gall? What's her deal now? I didn't read the comic but in the Twilight Highlands she just seemed... I don't know, in her initial quests she was "okay" but up top, the ones she shared with Shaw?

They felt forced. Like someone opened up a can of "Gritty female assasin" and poured it out.

Agreed.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/05/2011 07:47 AMPosted by Taiphoon
Why is it always made out to be a bad thing if a woman suddenly wants to be a mom or a just kick it with her man? I'm not in support of what these awesome chicks became, but nor am I against them if that's what they 'want' to be. /shrug

I fully support someone's choice to do whatever they want, but when that happens and it derails what they were originally, it doesn't feel like their choice, it feels like stupid writers.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
11/05/2011 07:47 AMPosted by Taiphoon

I don't think it's so much what they choose that's the problem, it's just that it's the only thing they choose. I think there should be more of a happy medium, where the character has more to them than just who they're in love with. I mean crap, when I read Seeds of Faith I seriously thought I was trudging through a sitcom which shouldn't really give me that feeling because the relationship between Furion and Tyrande felt way more organic in WC3. They had disputes and quarrels, but in the end they still loved each other.

That said, it really feels more and more like characters like Sylvanas and Varian only get to really be badass whereas other characters are just left out in the cold.
Edited by Grimtell on 11/5/2011 10:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
10/16/2011 07:28 AMPosted by Aharown
I have to agree with you on the tyrande subject though. She went form proactive warrior to hermit pretty quick.

Mabye with her getting a new model and voice she will be more proactive in the future, if what I have read servers me correct a similar thing happened with Sylvanas.
Reply Quote
really i think that some people are greedy and cant wait for blizz to work things up.

I mean blizz does for good reason wait and see.

i mean, ya Sylvanas is a nut job. but the world needs her. i mean with out here the horde gets a little dull.

And the hull agrra thing, well i think it nice thrall gets to be happy. i mean he has done alot for the world.

I just want to see more of the Characters we know and love.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
11/06/2011 02:48 PMPosted by Zulma
I just want to see more of the Characters we know and love.

You pretty much just said exactly what we were saying, that we want to see more of the characters we know and love.

I agree with your premise but it's a bit silly to call it greedy.
Reply Quote
11/06/2011 03:08 PMPosted by Donahue

i think people just cant wait. but i mean i worked for EA for 5 years and i mean this !@#$ dont come out of there %^-. it takes time to come up with this great game play and so on.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
There isn't a single character from Warcraft III that seems as powerful or compelling in WoW. Let's go ahead and stop using "back in WC3." Thrall's focus now is just ridiculous and most people don't like it. Thrall comes off as an incompetent and weak leader throughout WoW because he can't control his people and various plot devices. Blizzard expects us to have the same connection to Thrall now that we had in WC3 which was a DECADE ago. It's not going to happen. They should have worked on his character more before making him mechagodgreenJesusThrallasaurus.

The main problem is 1: Warcraft was made into an MMO and they've never done story telling well, 2: They let mediocre writers make awful, canonical novels and comics, 3: They focus on too few story threads at a time per expansion. No characters get a chance to shine for more than 2 minutes, if that.

You forget one major difference that makes this a necessary and inevitable change. In WOW, these figures you mentioned were run by the Players at the key moments of their history. Now, by necessity they're supporting characters because the Players are now the main movers and shakers of the storyline.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
11/06/2011 08:42 PMPosted by Zulma

i think people just cant wait. but i mean i worked for EA for 5 years and i mean this !@#$ dont come out of there %^-. it takes time to come up with this great game play and so on.

I agree in that respect. People need to sit down and be patient, as well as be more constructive in the feedback they give Blizzard.

The negativity of the forums is starting to rub off on me in fact, and that's not a good thing but I've largely suppressed it in the name of positive thought.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I think in the future, Sylvanas will be developed further. Assuming that she does not go too far, she could just continue doing, what she is doing.

If she goes too far, she may have an event where the players "redeem" her and she becomes a less evil character.

I think because so many people like her though, she will not be a raid boss.

Personally I really like Sylvanas, but that's just my own personal opinion. She reminds me a lot of Xena Warrior Princess :)
Reply Quote
72 Worgen Rogue
10/16/2011 07:17 AMPosted by Baldr
The only really strong female lead left is Sylvanas and shes insane

Actually they nerfed her attitude, she relents to Garrosh in the Tirisfal questline....she should have gutted him IMO, he called her a !@#$%.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]