Why World of Warcraft is failing or will fail

90 Blood Elf Priest
10/16/2011 08:49 AMPosted by Barminicton
YOU CAN'T. Paralyzed from neck down includes your arm, hands, and fingers.

Do a google search for Sip and Puff(?). You'll find out your wrong.
Reply Quote
97 Human Paladin
10/16/2011 08:42 AMPosted by Berylshot
He is not trolling, he is a member of my guild on that server and he is disabled. He uses his mouth to type and use controls, as well as create fine art by which to make a living. Anyone who thinks they know everything about his abilities is arrogant and ignorant. I have been in heroics with him and he can heal and dps with the best. One situation where he cannot, (lots of movement), and elitist jerks kick. That happens to be the crux of the post, why do people allow members to be kicked for simple and honest mistakes? Is it really that imperative to be perfect all the time? It is one reason I gave up PUGs and the idiots who take it so life and death. I honor him for what he has accomplished given the circumstances. Here is an idea for all those bashers out there: think a little before your knee-jerk opinions are written.

That's really impressive. He should be applauded for all he's done. Unfortunately there are jerks out there and it's in the PUGs that they will be found. It's one reason I haven't participated in PUGS in years..and they've gotten far worse since I ran in them.

My advice to the OP stands and I add to it that he should avoid PUGs whenever possible. Nastiness and disrespect are the nature of the beast and life is too short to deal with A-holes so why bother? Why subject yourself to the PUG nightmares? Maybe if people avoid them THEN Blizzard will see fit to do something about them.

Unfortunately people aren't going to change and Blizzard can make some changes to the game but they can't change human nature and with millions of people it's downright difficult, if not impossible.

I'm glad to see that the OP has a supportive guild he can play in and caring people who treat him with respect and compassion. That means a lot.
Reply Quote
Exactly the way i feel.I hardly play anymore because of all the elitist attitudes.People used to play for fun,all they want now is to blast through everything at record speed with no deaths,no penalties,grab loot and move on.
I see people in chat trying to do lich king runs requiring 365+ Ilevel.Really... 365?You must really suck if you can't make it through a LK run without a 365 Ilvl.
Reply Quote
43 Dwarf Warrior
OP, believe me when I say I truly sympathize with you.

My forearms resemble beef put through a meat grinder with swiss cheese on top. I have very severe nerve and tissue damage and spend most days with my arms in compression sleeves. Although I am far from a quadriplegic, I have my own physical limitations in this game.

There is a lot in this game that I simply have chosen not to do. It's too unforgiving (it's the movements / reflexes) and I made the choice to stop because I didn't feel I was being fair to the random people who ended up in LFD with me. I will still occasionally run with friends or guildmates because they understand the situation and will make it a point to set aside extra time to assist, but that is it.

LFD became absolutely too horrible - both in regards to the insults that were being hurled my way and frankly, the pain I was playing with. It was no longer worth it to me.

I would love to raid, but asking a company to "nerf" things to the point that I would be able to participate, would not be something I'd want. I am former military. I would never have asked my men to take me along on a mission if I wasn't up to it or felt I would hinder its success. I view the game the same way. I want to see my friends succeed and it pains me that I cannot always succeed with them - but it is what it is.

I wish the community was much more forgiving on the whole, but the reality is you do not know who you are going to end up with in a Random. Some people will be nice and understand and some won't. I am quite sure you already understand how harsh life can be and I don't have to tell you.

You cannot however make another human being "be" the way you want them to be and you need to decide for yourself, what the best course of action is.

Best of luck regardless!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Why World of Warcraft is failing or will fail. Its cause of ignorant people who take the game to seriously. It’s a GAME. I used to play for the fun of it, but now days people take the game as if it is life or death. i have a disability called Quadriplegia which means i'm paralyzed from my neck down. I was in a car accident when I was 7 I'm 31 now. I say once again It’s a game why take a game so serious? Let me ask a question. Should someone with a Disability be Judged on how well they perform? Or be kicked from a Group, Raid or Guild? This kind of stuff has been happening since the days of BC. I can hold my own on most encounters except when there is a lot of movement involved. I’ve Dpsed Healed and Tanked through out the 6 years of WoW, but one screw up and all of the sudden your being judged. Wouldn’t it be better to look at the situation and help improve and not put the person down. I ask people reading this take it serious and not bash me or anyone that replies. All I want is for people to take notice and be more respectful to others. Also to those who is reading this pass it on to anyone that will take notice of the situation. Web Sites. News Papers, News Stations anyone. Get it out please. Its time to take action. I know I’m not the only one that feels this way.

My condolences for your loss. Truly. I can imagine life is very difficult for you. I struggle with things unrelated to my body but I do indeed know what it means to suffer. That said, you need to look at the raiding situation in a different way. You have to admit it's a pretty selfish attitude that people should have to carry you. If you can't move your toon well, I can imagine it would be very difficult for you to perform well.

Movement is part of raiding, and just because you're disabled doesn't mean people should have to pick up your slack and accommodate you. Do I think people need to treat each other better? Absolutely, but I would not take you on a raid if you were holding me back. It's not because you're disabled. It's because my group would progress less if your toon is dead all the time.

You absolutely have the right to enjoyment, but you have to realize that so does everyone else. Raiding may not be the right thing for you to pursue because it's not going to get any easier than it already is. I sincerely hope you are able to find another recreational activity that you can enjoy.

Also, I apologize on behalf of all the @$$holes in this thread that see a disabled person as a target. You are not a target to me and every bit as valuable as the rest of us.
Edited by Valteris on 10/16/2011 9:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warlock
I'll be the scape goat here.

I don't care if you can't feel from the neck down. I do not care if your child had autism or if your father Alzheimer's and frequently acts out because he doesn't know where he is. That's all unfortunate but in a high end raid environment you need the best you can get. If you were my healer/tank/dps and there were seven applicants that can out perform you you will be replaced. That's just how it is.

Hell, even in a pick up group, if you weren't up to par I'd probably replace you if three people complain about you dying to genuinely simple mechanics. Why such a specific number? Because if tings still die I don't care, things happen, adapt and overcome.

Now as this is the internet I'm not privy to take your claim to disability seriously. I'll humor you for the sake of conversation. I'm sorry to hear about the accident, and glad to see you pushing on with the life you still have. Way to go.
Reply Quote
i'm not asking to be carried. nor will i ever. if thats what it sounds like. then then thats my fault. i have successfully raid with friends. and if there was a boss i knew i couldn't do i would step aside or we would find away for me to do it. my point is being lost. and i'm not trying to change the world just getting a word out and maybe open some peoples mind. i never ask for special treatment unless some1 is willing to help. i do try to find other ways to enjoy myself and have. i'm not taking anything personal i have through the years learn to let it go. i admit i hada moment who doesn't? all i'm trying to say is how negitve people in wow r getting. if some1 doesn't voice their opinion how will things ever change?
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Druid
It's a natural reaction to boot people who screw up. I doubt you told them every single time you have Quadraplegia.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warlock
10/16/2011 09:53 AMPosted by Fobeo
i'm not asking to be carried. nor will i ever. if thats what it sounds like. then then thats my fault. i have successfully raid with friends. and if there was a boss i knew i couldn't do i would step aside or we would find away for me to do it. my point is being lost. and i'm not trying to change the world just getting a word out and maybe open some peoples mind. i never ask for special treatment unless some1 is willing to help. i do try to find other ways to enjoy myself and have. i'm not taking anything personal i have through the years learn to let it go. i admit i hada moment who doesn't? all i'm trying to say is how negitve people in wow r getting. if some1 doesn't voice their opinion how will things ever change?

I can respect this post.

If you raid with friends and new people step into your group make sure they know that a handicap (not meant to be funny or offensive) is in place that can't be overcome. Anyone who thinks they would be alright with that would stay, let the others go. If you current issue is getting into raids with new people then you won't have much luck sadly.
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Hunter
He should not have to tell anyone anything. The point is that people are taking the game and raiding too seriously and kicking people for the slightest mistakes. It is supposed to be about getting past the bosses and achieving the goals, not how fast, or perfectly the group can get there. The perfectionism and elitist jerk syndrome is ruining the game for the 90% who are not there to be perfect, but there to learn, grow in skill, and enjoy the game. If one uses the Raid finder, be aware that not everyone is perfect and deal with that fact, not just kick for mistakes made. That is why most elitist idiots advertise in trade chat for only the best, most geared, and perfect players; and then the rest of us can ignore them.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
forgive me i forgot about the lose minded people. and forgive me for not going into details about how i play. i use a sip & puff headset and a on scream keyboard. i'm just trying to prove a point of how ignorant people have gotten over the past few years. not trying to cause trouble either. and it looks like my point being made.

OK, here is where I call you out. While I agree somewhat with your post my problem is that you are a liar. Being a male nurse and working with people who use S+P (sip and puffs) and screamboards. I know that the software people use with S+P systems (as far as txt to speech)- which is what YOU would use unless you want to input keys manually with a mouthstick- but if you us a mouth stick you cant use your S+P because its on or the other at that given time-corrects things such as capitalization. S+P systems are wonderful in how they work. Shame on you for making up a condition that real people have.
Edited by Sânctuary on 10/16/2011 10:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warlock
10/16/2011 10:23 AMPosted by Berylshot
He should not have to tell anyone anything. The point is that people are taking the game and raiding too seriously and kicking people for the slightest mistakes. It is supposed to be about getting past the bosses and achieving the goals, not how fast, or perfectly the group can get there. The perfectionism and elitist jerk syndrome is ruining the game for the 90% who are not there to be perfect, but there to learn, grow in skill, and enjoy the game. If one uses the Raid finder, be aware that not everyone is perfect and deal with that fact, not just kick for mistakes made. That is why most elitist idiots advertise in trade chat for only the best, most geared, and perfect players; and then the rest of us can ignore them.

It's easier to understand when you have the knowledge of things. If someone gives you a computer with a faulty processor and doesn't tell you, would you assume that's what was wrong off the bat? If asking for 359 ilvl tank with at least one t11 achievement is elitism than saddle me up. You don't throw up a trade pug saying [2.Trade]: LF more Bastion of Twilight ilvl 333 and above welcome!
That's silly. We as a race thrive of perfectionism and elitism, would we be here if someone never said "This is a fun game, but I bet I can make a better one."
I'ts not hard to have a 359 geared character, I mean damn the OP has me beat.

Lets not drag the raid finder into this. How about we tackle that one when it gets here?

Reply Quote
83 Draenei Hunter
@Sânctuary

You need to stop. I know this man and he is not making fun of anyone. He has what he has and uses the equipment specified. Again those who think they know everything about someone they have never met are arrogant and ignorant, and in your case, just plain idiotic for thinking you know better than the one who does it.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
10/16/2011 10:23 AMPosted by Berylshot

While I am in agreement philosophically, realistically, the OP should give the other players a heads up that he may not respond as quickly as a non-handicapped player.

Face it. There are mechanics in raiding that require excellent timing. For example, it would be a disservice to the other players to have him (her?) assigned to interrupt duty if he/she were unable to do that task.

With that said, I would have no problem playing with such an individual. As you say, raiding should be more about the journey and less about the speed you traveled it.

Way too much attention has been placed on being perfect. It has bred a corrosive atmosphere where even one mistake can be grounds to kick someone.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warlock
10/16/2011 10:36 AMPosted by Berylshot
those who think they know everything about someone they have never met are arrogant and ignorant, and in your case, just plain idiotic for thinking you know better than the one who does it.

I like to think I'm more sarcastic and inquisitive to be honest.

Who says Sanct really is a male nurse? How do we know that you an the OP actually know each other, being that he's from Gilneas and your from Scryers? Who cares?
It's nice you want to stand up for your friend and all the other downtrodden disabled or ill players but for discussion sake forget your attachment and address the community as a whole.

10/16/2011 10:41 AMPosted by Trigonometry
While I am in agreement philosophically, realistically, the OP should give the other players a heads up that he may not respond as quickly as a non-handicapped player.

With that said, I would have no problem playing with such an individual. As you say, raiding should be more about the journey and less about the speed you traveled it.

No one likes a journey that ends with falling down a cliff. The adventure may be fun and all but it's meaningless without results.
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Hunter
Three years ago I got into a crash and got hit by a semi....brain damage left me with no short term memory. So, I told people in PUGs that I did not know the fights because I cannot remember them and asked for explanation. I soon gave up on it and only go into raids, or dungeons with the guild, or guild partners because I immediately got kicked for disclosing my issue. So, no. Telling anyone anything is not the answer, the jerks will still be jerks and the players who just like to play still booted. The issue is not mechanics, it is attitude and the need for instant gratification. Anyone who says that their time is precious I say....remember when you first started, you had to learn and develop to be successful and that took time. Why does that change to being a hole once the achievement is earned?
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Hunter
Results will still be met, it may simply take a little longer. I addressed the one person specifically because they were being insulting to a friend on purpose and with malice. As for the different servers, I logged in and it put me on this toon. I have toons on both Scryers and Gilneas. Just FYI.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
10/16/2011 10:58 AMPosted by Berylshot
Three years ago I got into a crash and got hit by a semi....brain damage left me with no short term memory. So, I told people in PUGs that I did not know the fights because I cannot remember them and asked for explanation. I soon gave up on it and only go into raids, or dungeons with the guild, or guild partners because I immediately got kicked for disclosing my issue. So, no. Telling anyone anything is not the answer, the jerks will still be jerks and the players who just like to play still booted. The issue is not mechanics, it is attitude and the need for instant gratification. Anyone who says that their time is precious I say....remember when you first started, you had to learn and develop to be successful and that took time. Why does that change to being a hole once the achievement is earned?

There is a big difference on where you start learning the game. But trying to learn a game through PUG dungeons is by far the worst place to learn your class, dungeons, etc. Call me anything you want, but it's the truth. Sure I sucked when I first started back in Vanilla but I was in a guild with like minded people helping each other to get better and I also took the time to look online about my class to better myself.

I understand some people have disabilities but in all honesty, why do you pick a game that requires team work, especially if you are interested in dungeons/raids? I have no clue if the other person behind their screen is actually disabled, trolling, too lazy to better themselves, etc. Sure the community has gotten rude over the years, but who's fault is that?
Edited by Virage on 10/16/2011 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]