Why Rogue's Population is so Low

100 Undead Mage
What are you talking about? The rogue population is low? Where are these statistics?

Are you talking about the statistics on MMO about who has beaten what boss fights and the class representation there?

Yes it would be true rogues (and other melee) are considered "under-performers" in Firelands, but that does not translate to "no one plays rogues anymore"

I still see tons of rogues around, most of them just arent in HM firelands gear, and thus aren't included in those statistics.
Reply Quote
They're not popular because they're hard to play. If blizz made it easier more people would play them(not gonna say how). Honestly I was told that Sub is the worst spec in pve but once you get like heroic firelands gear I hear people do 40k dps in it. It's a really hit or miss class. You really need to know them to play them well.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
There really aren't that many rogues like there were in Vanilla. But, I can agree somewhat with the OP. I have 8 classes at 85 and I can tell you they all have some strengths and weaknesses. At times, I enjoy playing my Fury (SMF) warrior over my combat rogue precisely for the reasons the OP mentioned.

That, and I hate having to maintain a buff... I don't mind maintaining dots, but having to constantly look at my buff bar to make sure I have Slice & Dice up is very annoying... same with inquisition, same with savage roar, same with Improved Soul Fire... and so on. It is one of the mechanics I hate most in this game.

Combo points could be effortlessly fixed simply be attaching them to the player, like holy power, instead of the enemy.

As far as big numbers... I actually like a lot of little numbers more often than not. That is why I picked SMF for my warrior. I don't care what is FotM. I care what is fun. I don't raid, so I don't care about being #1.

I haven't seen any solid statistics on which classes have the highest and lowest representation, but from my experience in LFG I can tell you there are a ton of hunters, druids and death knights, and very few rogues and warlocks.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Combo points, cool idea but is extremely annoying in dungeons and heroics because of the monsters dying way to fast to actually utilize the combo points.

This.

Not only does losing the combo points ruin your DPS potential due to mobs not living long enough to see your finishing move, but then you get to lose more DPS starting over from square one on the next mob while everyone soars above you on the Recount.

>.<

Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
10/16/2011 12:53 AMPosted by Fenrus
Honestly I was told that Sub is the worst spec in pve but once you get like heroic firelands gear I hear people do 40k dps in it.

You're kidding me with this, right?
Edited by Toskorae on 10/16/2011 1:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Rogue population is low because they started the class after being destroyed in PvP by one, died 6 times before level 10 because low level Rogues suck, then ragequit. Most people who play Rogues expect this:

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=26540

Instead, they find out that being a good Rogue actually takes skill, timing, and a great deal of experience. They wanted an easy faceroll class, so they stopped playing.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Shaman
Rogues are the only ones who suffer the fate of combo points stacking on targets instead of the player it self. Not only is it an issue but it's annoying and NOT fun. Paladins don't have to worry about their holy power being on a certain target, DKs don't worry about their runes/runic power being a on a certain target. So my question is why do rogues suffer from this only?

I can gurantee you a tweak or change to the combo point system or resource system as a whole would make WAY MORE people consider playing rogues as a whole.
Reply Quote
People complain about ninjas and blacklist them. Rogues are the ninjas of warcraft, therefore people blacklist rogues.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Rogues are the only ones who suffer the fate of combo points stacking on targets instead of the player it self. Not only is it an issue but it's annoying and NOT fun. Paladins don't have to worry about their holy power being on a certain target, DKs don't worry about their runes/runic power being a on a certain target. So my question is why do rogues suffer from this only?

I can gurantee you a tweak or change to the combo point system or resource system as a whole would make WAY MORE people consider playing rogues as a whole.
Takes me 2 - 3 seconds to get 5 combo points.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
No please don't change my rogue, I love it. I don't have this much fun on any toon.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Like others have said, the combo points are one of the biggest issues for the class. Redirect, especially with its CD, is more of a troll by Blizzard than an actually useful ability. The class would have no problems if combo points stacked on the Rogue (disappear in 20 seconds if not used), DR's were removed or nerfed on our stuns, and giving SS the ability to break from freezes.

Although I seem to recall a Blizzard post saying that our problems "defined the class". *shrug*
Because combo points aren't the problem, at all. The problem is people expecting, and wanting, rogues to be a really easy to play class.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
10/16/2011 01:32 AMPosted by Defiasbandït
Because combo points aren't the problem, at all. The problem is people expecting, and wanting, rogues to be a really easy to play class.

This.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Shaman
Like others have said, the combo points are one of the biggest issues for the class. Redirect, especially with its CD, is more of a troll by Blizzard than an actually useful ability. The class would have no problems if combo points stacked on the Rogue (disappear in 20 seconds if not used), DR's were removed or nerfed on our stuns, and giving SS the ability to break from freezes.

Although I seem to recall a Blizzard post saying that our problems "defined the class". *shrug*

Difficulty is not what we are complaining about convenience and ease is what we desire. Remember back in the day where a paladin had to buff every individual player rather then the whole raid at once. Was that difficulty or a challenge? nope it was just plain annoying. Lets be honest here the combo point system is outdated and it needs tweaking. Not to make it easier but to make it not annoying.

If it was difficult I would of never leveled up my rogue to 85 or even play him at that.
Edited by Thundermuff on 10/16/2011 1:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Bring back Fadeleaf, Poison Brewing, and Swirly Ball! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]