Destruction PvE Haste cap

85 Orc Warlock
As the title to the thread suggests, is there a haste cap for locks? Is there a point in which the stat priorities change and crit becomes a more valuable stat then haste? Wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask the warlock community.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
Haste is always more valuable than Crit/mastery.

Haste Cap is 2589, you want to sacrifice some hit and even int (if you can) to get it. For Goblins it is slightly less.

The REAL haste cap is when your main spells (immolate in particular I would think) hit the GCD, then haste does not become more useful.
Edited by Ancayson on 10/18/2011 8:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Do you know the exact numbers of the REAL haste cap? Or is 2589 as close as you know it needs to be at?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
TF
Iirc, with haste buffs, 4951 should GCD cap Immolate.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
TF
2589 is the only reachable haste "plateau."
Reply Quote
10/19/2011 04:32 AMPosted by Gaunik
Do you know the exact numbers of the REAL haste cap? Or is 2589 as close as you know it needs to be at?
Which haste cap? There are quite a few.
Reply Quote
75 Tauren Druid
cap

quite a few.

I don't think you know what cap means.

4951 caps immo and 2589 is its attainable plateau (gives an extra tick), Heyitsando is correct.

Even after 2589, haste is still more beneficial than mastery and crit.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Ya haste is the best secondary until you reach the GCD which you won't do for quite a while. Basically have haste as your primary reforge if you're hit capped. If you are close to the haste threshold for immolate (2589) then you can consider gemming into 20 haste 20 int instead of 40 int to reach it, but don't go overboard with that.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/19/2011 07:37 AMPosted by Lulwut
cap

quite a few.

4951 caps immo and 2589 is its attainable plateau (gives an extra tick), Heyitsando is correct.

There is no reachable "hard" cap.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Would reforging out of crit and into haste be absolutely obsurd to reach the soft cap of 2589? Or should I just wait until I obtain it through gear upgrades?
Reply Quote
75 Tauren Druid
10/19/2011 08:12 AMPosted by Mandorgan
There is no reachable "hard" cap.

Can you read?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I don't think you can actually reforge to hit 2589 yet with your gear. Especially since you have a lot of 20 int gems where you should have 40s. General rule is if the bonus is +20 int or +30 of something else (haste hit crit w/e) then you socket for the bonus. If the bonus is +10 int, +10 hit, +10 haste etc then you go straight +40 int red regardless of the socket color. Unfortunately that will bring you away from the haste threshold, but a few more upgrades should get you within range again.

If you were only like 20 haste away from the threshold then getting a +20 haste +20 int gem would be fine, but right now you're leaving a ton of int on the table. That much int isn't worth the extra haste you're getting at the moment.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Ahhh, I learned something new, so even if you lose the socket bonus the 40int is just, better? Very useful to know, I shall get right on that. ^-^ and here I thought I knew how to play :P Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm really hoping for the Coalwalker Sandals, those are a pree sick upgrade, and even the hands gloves off Rag tonight would be pretty unreal.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
The extra int just ends up being better for you. +20 int for +10 hit or haste is a good tradeoff. Obviously if the bonus is +20 int you'd be losing 20 int from the gem to gain 20 from the bonus plus you get another stat. There are situations where thats not true though, but that's basically just for the thresholds. I had a 20/20 in my shoulders when I got them because that put me over 2589, but with the 40 int I was under.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Why is this nonsense perpetuated?
20 Hit + 10 Int > 20 Int. Always go for blue sockets with a 10 Int bonus.
20 Haste + 10 Int >=~ 20 Int. This is true for Destro and Demo (both Haste and Mastery, in Demo's case), but not true for Affliction in the current BiS profiles. For the most part, it's a wash, whether you go for the socket bonuses or not you should not see any noticeable difference in DPS unless you're hitting another tick number.

Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Why is this nonsense perpetuated?
20 Hit + 10 Int > 20 Int. Always go for blue sockets with a 10 Int bonus.
20 Haste + 10 Int >=~ 20 Int. This is true for Destro and Demo (both Haste and Mastery, in Demo's case), but not true for Affliction in the current BiS profiles. For the most part, it's a wash, whether you go for the socket bonuses or not you should not see any noticeable difference in DPS unless you're hitting another tick number.

Haste for Demonology is overvalued on simcraft because the 400 it adds on to calculate scale factors puts the profile over 1993.

That said, this is generally true... but you have to realize, by gemming purple, 90% of the time you're not actually gaining 20 hit, you're gaining 20 haste/mastery you can reforge from somewhere else. Gemming orange for +10 int tends to be close to a wash, but if you gem blue and you've already reforged to the maximum mastery/haste you can get, it can be wasteful.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Thanks for the help guys! I managed to get a upgrade from Rag last night and I hit the soft cap for the extra tick on Immolate :D
Reply Quote
10/19/2011 07:37 AMPosted by Lulwut
cap

quite a few.

Haste cap ≠ Haste threshold
A haste cap is the amount of haste it takes to get the cast time of a given spell down to 1 second.
A haste threshold is the amount of haste it takes to get an additional tick on a particular DoT.

There are many haste caps. Each spell with a different cast time takes a different amount of haste to get to 1 second.

Are we talking about the GCD cap? Are we talking about the immolation cap? Are we talking about the incinerate cap? If we're talking about the incinerate cap, do you mean the one with backdraft up or no. What buffs do you have? Are you a goblin?

Maybe you're talking about the haste cap for a non-goblin with a 5% haste buff, bloodlust, and backdraft.
That would be about 2,959 haste rating, which probably isn't obtainable for most of us.
Or maybe you're talking about the GCD haste cap (with 5% and bloodlust): 857. That one applies to Banes, Curses, Corruption, Immolate, Conflagrate, Shadowflame, and a few others.

I wrote a whole guide on this during wrath. Now that I'm raiding again, I'm in the process of updating it.
wowmb.net/forums/f182/37286-haste_you/

EDIT_______________
Forgot to include 3% from Dark Intent. DERP! >.<
Edited by Doomoracle on 10/21/2011 2:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]