Really? Way to disappoint.

85 Night Elf Druid
I was all excited and stuff to see my fave trolls back and I am now inundated with Poke'mon banter.

Really?

I guess I am not cool enough because I hate poke'mon. My kids used to collect Poke'mon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards, if I saw them on the floor, they got tossed in the garbage.

How do you like me now?
Edited by Têss on 10/22/2011 1:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11 Undead Warlock
I hate it too.

I think kid rock said he has "gotta catch em all" too.

But he was thinking of diseases.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Officially not my friends anymore.
Reply Quote
11 Undead Warlock
10/22/2011 08:42 PMPosted by Taurah
Officially not my friends anymore.

We are from different generations (teck nick lee), so it makes perfect sense that we would not find interest in something that was not popular when we were younger. My step-son can't understand my great love of the Muppets, because they were not popular when he was young.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
When these so-called trading card games cause as much dissension and sibling rivalry in your home as they did mine, I am sure you will hate them too. The garbage is the perfect place for them!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Sibling rivalry is healthy.

I threw a rock at my brothers head when we were 4. Smashed his face right open.
Reply Quote
11 Undead Warlock
My brother is 7 years older, all I remember is him rocking Docksiders and a Members Only jacket.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I don't think I've acquired a pokemon card in ten years.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
Ageism everywhere
Reply Quote
Hey.. i LOVE Pokemon! i think my all time favorite classic tournament deck, had to be the turbo rain-dance deck or the damage swap with Alakazam! LETHAL!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
I never really took the pokemon card game seriously. Truth be told, I never took any card game seriously, and for some reason couldn't get into them even if someone interested showed them to me. I remember sitting in the back of a car one day with somebody else on a several hour road trip as they walked me, step by step, through a single round pokemon game where my "card" was the demo charizard card illustration in the manual. The most interesting thing to me about that event was the fact I was using a pseudo-card for a pseudo-game in a pokemon pseudo-workshop and never thought about the game after again.

But then one day I stumbled blindly through the Internet and wound up on this webpage dedicated to the pokemon card games. It was so weird. I wish I could remember what it was, but it basically consisted of this huge social network where people had their own pages and discussions and stuff and it was all centered around this culture built upon tournaments with pokemon cards. I wound up spending several hours just browsing through these pages and discussions, watching videos and getting this strange voyeurs look into this social culture, which for some reason made it incredibly interesting. Probably because I'm a freak.

Because I never had an innate interest in the games themselves or the process in which they worked, I was never really introduced to the complexities that had evolved around it. Roznie bringing up "turbo rain-dance" or "damage swap with alakazam" is the perfect example. There was a huge blog entry some 15 year old wrote about a deck combination with gengar, and it more or less threw me off my seat and knocked my socks off. Somehow they turned this thing that couldn't grab my attention even when it should have into this absolutely fascinating network of collaboration and analysis for ultimately progressing the effectiveness and engagement / efficiency of their game.

And that's why I want to smack people who label demographics as unfit for any particular product. Sure, everything has its 'target demographic', but that absolutely does not mean that people outside of that target demographic are wrong or immature or whatever else for partaking in what that thing is.
On that note, pokemon is an incredibly put together video game and I have thoroughly enjoyed every one. Well, I shouldn't say that - I've never played a pokemon ranger game or the console games, so I'm referring to the classic portable ones. Y'know what I mean. The ones named after colours/gems... Or hues.

This is one of my favourite tvtrope articles:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhatDoYouMeanItsForKids?from=Main.ptitle3aa6c4mw
There's also an excellent quote about children being embarrassed about reading kids novels, but adults not being embarrassed about reading kids novels because that confidence is part of growing up, but I can't for the life of me remember it.
ONE DAY.

I could write an essay on this easy. Come to think of it, I have to do an hour presentation next week on something and the particular group its for I overheard discussing their confusion over the My Little Pony phenomena. Maybe I'll do this easy essay as a presentation for them. It'll probably come off like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwp60eYuie0
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
The point is you read patiently so that you're fashionably late by 10. I'm doing you a favour here by giving you outlets to use in order to properly experience secondary education.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
BOOM

That was the sound of my head exploding.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]