Kael'thas Book Club

100 Night Elf Rogue
My apologies if this has been done before.

Let's discuss and suggest authors/books. Do you have a favorite author that people may not know about? Do you just focus on one genre?

I would like to suggest to everyone, Vince Flynn "Term Limits", it's a great book, starting a really good series. David Baldacci, "Absolute Power". Glenn Cook, the Black Company series.

I am always looking for good books to read and am open to suggestions on new authors.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
My brother introduced me a few months ago to Brent Weeks. I've only read the Night Angel Trilogy, but it was really good. Terry Brooks even gave it great reviews. So if you like magical assassins, you'd like the NA trilogy.

I also read a lot of Christian non-fiction, and Donald Miller is by far my favorite.

I've actually been bored lately and started to re-read Lord of the Rings. It's been years since I've read the whole thing through, so I thought I'd give it another go.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
I'd love to add my opinion to this thread but... the only books I have read are Harry Potter. I'm sure everyone knows how great those are.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I actually have not read any of the Harry Potter books.

Hanners, I've read most of the Left Behind series, good reads.

Terry Brooks was ok to start for me, but by the 752nd "of Shannara" book I kinda lost interest...

Raymond Feist is quite good as well. Steven Brust, Melanie Rawn, Terry Goodkind
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
10/22/2011 02:33 PMPosted by Aelric
Hanners, I've read most of the Left Behind series, good reads.

Yeah a lot of people I mention the series to get turned off because of the Kirk Cameron movie, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I like Robert Jordans, Wheel of Time series. Unfortunately he died while writting the 11th or 12th book, but another author is supposed to pick up where he left off.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
OOB
I just finished Elizabeth Lowells Innocent as Sin.
Maybe its because i just red a series of sappy stories but I liked it quite a bit.

Another recent book I really liked is Elizabeth Joy Arnold When we Were friends. A good read (actually own it).

I don't want to get into favorites because I'm very old school when it comes to favorites.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
A good book will make you cry, laugh, cheer, get pissed off, and forget life for a while.

As a parent, one of my biggest goals for my children is to instill in them a love for reading.

10/24/2011 11:58 AMPosted by Altronix
I don't want to get into favorites because I'm very old school when it comes to favorites.

For me, "favorites" change from year to year. Sure, Tolkien will always be a "favorite", but I can appreciate other authors just as much.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
i'm currently marching through terry pratchett's discworld series. i'd previously only read "good omens" by him and neil gaiman years ago. they're fun; often humorous, sometimes grindy, probably good for a wide audience of many ages.

often a sucker for urban faerie/fantasy tales, some favorite authors in this vein are
charles de lint, patricia mckillip, robin mckinley, ellen kushner, terri windling, and steven brust.

the borderlands stories (various authors) can be good.

kristine katheryn rusch's "the fey" series was a very decent sleeper iirc. been a long time since i read those, was thinking of hunting for them again.

recently read dune for the first time, enjoyed it but don't know if i want to trudge forth in that world.

books/authors guildies have recommended:

stephen donaldson's thomas the unbeliever series. read the first trilogy, i liked it, but wanted to chew glass at times while reading them.

robert jordan's wheel of time. bought a few on sale from borders going away sale, but haven't touched them yet.

patrick rothfuss, haven't gone forth yet.

noble dead vampire(esque) saga by husband wife team with the last name of hendee. good for a mindless read, but not fantastic.

Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/24/2011 08:34 AMPosted by Ronninn
I like Robert Jordans, Wheel of Time series. Unfortunately he died while writting the 11th or 12th book, but another author is supposed to pick up where he left off.

The author who picked it up is named Brandon Sanderson. I really didn't notice much/any of a difference between his and Jordan's writing style in the most recent installment of the Wheel of Time series. It looks like they chose/had to break the final book up instead of publishing a 1500 page book. If you made it through the rest of the series, it is worth picking up.

I'd actually go so far as to say I like Sanderson's other books so far too. The one Stormlight book (title: The Way of Kings) he has published is probably my favorite so far, but its a pretty massive book and only the first of a planned 10 book cycle. His other books (Mistborn trilogy, Elantris, Warbreaker) are all pretty solid as well. So if you are looking for someone relatively young that I think writes about on par with Jordan, he'd be good to check out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'll have to check those out Gil, thanks.

Something else I read a long time ago that I enjoyed was the series "The Death Gate Cycle" by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Excellent series of 7 books.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files is an awesome series. My brother loaned me the first book in August, and I have since purchased and devoured the next 12.

Although I LOVE Glen Cook's Black Company series, I am not a big fan of the Starfisher's trilogy. I bought all three only because I like Cook, but eh, not a big fan of that series. It took until the third book before I actually felt interested in what happens next.

10/25/2011 04:07 PMPosted by Diamanda
stephen donaldson's thomas the unbeliever series. read the first trilogy, i liked it, but wanted to chew glass at times while reading them.

LOL yes, loved the series overall, but at times it was quite painful.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
I gave up on Wheel of Time in the late 90's because he took so long between books I was sure he'd die before he'd finished. Amazing series that I need to pick back up. I think I quit at about book 6.

A few old school I'd recommend:

-Anything by Orson Scott Card, especially but not limited to the Ender's Game series.
-This Perfect Day by Ira Levin. Best known for Rosemary's Baby and The Stepford Wives but I found Day enthralling.
-Robert Stackpole's Blood of Kerensky trilogy though pretty much everything this guy writes I'd take look at.
-Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy are still the best Star Wars books I've ever read.
-And can't forget Penthouse forum(just for Aelric)

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

A few old school I'd recommend:

-Anything by Orson Scott Card, especially but not limited to the Ender's Game series.

To narrow down this statment try his 3 book original series called the "Conquerors' Trilogy" it's quite good.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Aelric reading things that's not p0rnz?!

<--- Mind blown
Edited by Lickasha on 11/8/2011 9:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
Aelric reading things that's not p0rnz?!

<--- Mind blown

Who reads p0rnz?
Edited by Demonwolf on 11/8/2011 1:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Who reads p0rnz?

LOL you would be surprised. In this genre I would highly suggest Anne Rice's "Sleeping Beauty" series, she wrote it under a different name, but if you ask any book store attendant they'll know what books you're looking for. These aren't your Harlequin romance novels.

And IF I were to purchase such material as Penthouse, it would be Penthouse Letters.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
OOB
My all time favorites: Pride and Prejudice, The Illiyad, Tom Sawyer.
I think these are books that transcend time. Especially the Illiyad. It's as if when you grow your perspective of the book grows. Being a kid rooting for the all powerful Achilles, and as you grow you realize Hector is the true hero of the story. When I grow old I will probably identify with Priam. That's something Homer may have intentionally or inadvertently added to book genre. No matter what the audience is, there is a character to identify with.

Recent reads:
Pompeii City on Fire, T. L. Higley
Although i am not big on religious overtures in books I loved this one. Really good and the main characters keep you entertained. Maybe it's because I love history but I'd recommend the book to anyone for a good read.

Those in Peril, Wilbur Smith
Just atrocious. The book is riddled with unnecessary sex scenes. The timeline is rather disorganized as in you read the book and suddenly it's 4 years later. The author missed huge chances of character development. Destroyed the female lead. Is probably too obsessed with @%@*!#!*.

Currently reading:
Insomnia, Stephen King
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
uhoh. alt pulled out the classics card.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
OOB
11/11/2011 02:02 PMPosted by Diamanda
uhoh. alt pulled out the classics card.

Well people asked for favorites!

What's better than the timeless story of struggle to fit in, the quintessential good vs. bad struggle and an adventure :). In my eyes anyways.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]