Kael'thas Book Club

90 Night Elf Death Knight
10/26/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Gilgaiad
I like Robert Jordans, Wheel of Time series. Unfortunately he died while writting the 11th or 12th book, but another author is supposed to pick up where he left off.

The author who picked it up is named Brandon Sanderson. I really didn't notice much/any of a difference between his and Jordan's writing style in the most recent installment of the Wheel of Time series. It looks like they chose/had to break the final book up instead of publishing a 1500 page book. If you made it through the rest of the series, it is worth picking up.

I'd actually go so far as to say I like Sanderson's other books so far too. The one Stormlight book (title: The Way of Kings) he has published is probably my favorite so far, but its a pretty massive book and only the first of a planned 10 book cycle. His other books (Mistborn trilogy, Elantris, Warbreaker) are all pretty solid as well. So if you are looking for someone relatively young that I think writes about on par with Jordan, he'd be good to check out.
Sanderson is one of my favorites... if you haven't read the Mistborn series you should pick it up.. he just released the 4th book which is ok but its not as good as the first 3
Reply Quote
95 Draenei Paladin
Let us all read the "Ender's Game" series by Orson Scott Card, since they are finally making the book into a movie *squeals* cant wait!!! :)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
http://www.amazon.com/Million-Miles-Thousand-Years-Learned/dp/0785213066/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276717752&sr=1-1

^ that is on my Christmas wish list as my first book for my new Kindle Fire. Don Miller is the man.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
http://www.amazon.com/Million-Miles-Thousand-Years-Learned/dp/0785213066/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276717752&sr=1-1

^ that is on my Christmas wish list as my first book for my new Kindle Fire. Don Miller is the man.

How do you like the Kindle Fire? I'm picking Nalaraa (my wife) one of the Kodo readers, which is like the Canadian version (exactly the same thing), and wanted to see if people that enjoy reading that have one actually like it.

It looks pretty cool, and Nal reads a few books a month. I hear you can also watch movies on them, what other neat functionality might catch my eye on that?

Sorry if this is derailing the conversation at all.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Honestly my Kindle is still in Christmas wrapping paper. =P

From what I've read on it, however, I really like it. I think my main concern was whether or not they'd require you to put everything on the cloud, but apparently it has at least some local storage. I'm not quite sold on the whole cloud computing thing, specifically on security.

It does have apps for Netflix and Hulu, and as I said has some local storage (I want to say either 8GB or 16GB), so you can copy your own video files to watch. Amazon is also pretty good about releasing DRM-free music files from what I hear, so I'm hoping that the Fire doesn't have any problems with that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000739391

^ this was the email sent after the purchase. It's got quite a bit of "getting started" information.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
You young kids and yer new fancy fandangled contraptions! Give me a book! With paper! Nothing beats a nice old book, the smell, feeling the pages (many dog-eared from being read so many times).

You can't fall asleep with a Kindle on your face! I certainly wouldn't take on into the tub with me either. Can't throw it down when the stupid author kills off your favorite character! Can't write in the margins!

grumpy old man rant is over...for now
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
The Warded Man, by Peter V. Brett good book
Reply Quote
I'd recommend Alan Dean Foster's Journeys of the Catechist series for anyone who enjoys an outrageous and at times very humorous fantasy romp.

The first one is Carnivores of Light and Darkness, the second is Into the Thinking Kingdoms, and the final book is called A Triumph of Souls.

While not all of ADF's work has appealed to me deeply, I do enjoy his wordy style and sprawling vocabulary, and his character choices and archetype-smashing rampage in this particular series is nothing short of breath-taking for any serious fantasy reader.

I'd also recommend Scott Sigler's Infected to horror and scifi fans. Quite gruesome and entertaining, and evidently a second book is in the series, titled Contagious. I haven't read that one yet, personally, but it's on my To-Read list.

Edit:
Hanners, I've read most of the Left Behind series, good reads.

Yeah a lot of people I mention the series to get turned off because of the Kirk Cameron movie, lol.

I was skeptical of the series, despite my heavily Christian upbringing, but reading the fourth book... Assassins, I think it was? sold me on the rest of the series. VERY good read, even for those without a Christian background.
Edited by Moonbabÿ on 1/20/2012 3:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
OOB
Yay NECROS!

I got Lord of the Flies recently and I'm in the process of reading it right now. Continuing down my classic trend. Yeah I never read it and have heard so much of it that I had to pick it up.

Next on my list (reserved at local library) is The Phantom Tollbooth. Got a great review from someone I know and it peaked my interest.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
04/04/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Altronix
I got Lord of the Flies recently and I'm in the process of reading it right now. Continuing down my classic trend. Yeah I never read it and have heard so much of it that I had to pick it up.

Oh hey, I think I read that book in middle school. <3

Also, I got caught up in the pop culture whirlwind that is Hunger Games. Got them all for $20 on Kindle like 2 days ago. I'm about halfway through the third. It's surprisingly twisted stuff.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
I was always curious about reading books, but I'm always far too distracted by games. I guess a lot of the games I've played could be considered books in their own right.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Stieg Larsson, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked Up a Hornet's Nest. Finished Tattoo before I watched the movie a couple weeks ago. Very good series.
Reply Quote
Continuing from Moonbabÿ, my alt:

Got Contagious about a week ago and finished it yesterday. Really nice, wraps up the whole story arc nicely, closes out almost all the major character stories, and leaves with you an intense and brief ending. The brevity is due to the nature of the ending, which is transcribed with remarkable detail.

Quite enjoyed it, although the first book hit harder, to be honest. It was more about the main character, Perry Dawsey, and his struggle with the infection, while the second book jumps into the world-at-danger trope head-first.

Still, nice for horror/sci-fi readers. 8/10.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'm suddenly feeling the urge to read the Game of Thrones series, I just can't wait a whole week anymore to see what is going to happen, not patient enough. My wife has started to read the series and loves it, going to have to yoink the books for myself.
Reply Quote
For fans of technothrillers, disaster novels (not disastrous), or space-agey fiction, Moonfall by Jack McDevitt is pretty fun to read. The whole scope of disaster portrayed in this novel eclipses (pun intended!) a lot of other novels I've read in past years. It seems believable, and it is undoubtedly fun to read.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I'm not a huge reader, but a friend turned me on to Patrick Rothfuss. He's currently writing book three of 'The Kingkiller Chronicle'. The first two books are 'The Name of the Wind' and 'The Wise Man's Fear'. The series is supposed to be three books long and I have no idea how he's going to accomplish that goal. Has anyone else read these?I also really enjoyed 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
"The heart and the fist" by Eric Greitens
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
lol your joker !@# is still playing demonwolfy man
Edited by Romb on 4/13/2012 8:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
So my recommendations aren't really fantasy or sci-fi, but just books I've read or reread in the last year that I really enjoyed.

Small World -David Lodge
The Adventures of Augie March -Saul Bellow
The Alchemist -Paul Coelho
++One Hundred Years of Solitude -Gabrial Garcia Marquez
++The Satanic Verses -Salman Rushdie
Mornings in Jenin -Susan Abulhawa

The two with plus signs are especially good reads and definitely worth anyone's time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]