Thread nearing cap. New one opening at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3430806685?page=1#0
So the old thread seems to have capped itself while I was asleep. So I am going to get a second part started. Some good discussion, in between the trolls and rage. Let's keep it civil, constructive and calm if we can.
So, from several threads on various forums, I think that anyone who wasn't there knows the score pretty much.
Basically, Samwise of the famous band which plays at Blizzcon (which is not only vocally pro Horde but also severely anti Alliance) played a video in which a celebrity (introduced as an 'unofficial spokesman') went on a rant in which he called Alliance players whiny and emo, called them a number of homophobic slurs and said that they should die IRL - I don't want to repost the exact stuff here...but it was utterly insane.
Yes - you heard me. A senior Blizzard representitive endorsed a video saying that the players of a faction should die.
Sure, as Bashiok said it was framed as a 'joke' (he actually said he found it personally funny). And as Zarhym said, a lot of people are being silly about this.
There have been many threads made on these forums and others about the treatment of Alliance players at Blizzcon (and to a lesser extent, in general). We've had individuals booed and jeered at publically, simply for being alliance. There have been reports of people getting insulted, taunted, spat at and even physically assaulted for wearing an Alliance shirt. When does it stop being a joke?
In fact, this year I recall more than one thread basically telling Alliance players to go to Blizzcon at risk of not enjoying it, being alienated or ridiculed at best. I don't think I've ever seen a Horde player subjected to anything like this.
We are encouraged to invest ourselves in our characters - and by extension, in our faction. And it gets hard to enjoy it when faction pride becomes anti-faction hatred, especially when it is expressed/endorsed by a Blizzard employee.
Fact is - when you have this kind of stuff going on, it stops just being a game. Take a look at football (soccer, if you live stateside) and how serious some of the rivalries in a game can get when allowed to get out of control.
So - what do you think? Was Samwise out of line? If so - how can the situation be repaired?
Let's keep this civil if we can.
Edited: For clarity and to avoid being inflammatory.
EDIT 2 - some good responses from both sides of the table...and a lot of people being obnoxious. Let's keep this clean and civil if possible. And please, please keep "Free Speech" as far away from this issue as you can.
EDIT 3 - A lot of people seem to be justifying things with "Oh, the guy plays Death Metal". The issue isn't as much what was said, it was that it was basically endorsed by Samwise and how this kind of attitude is both unprofessional and unconducive to any faction pride the Alliance are trying to build.
EDIT 4 - I was not aware that Samwise also came up with a lot of the art for Alliance. I wonder if I can blame female worgen and male humans on him too :)
EDIT 5 - If possible, can people suggest solutions, both to the damage this has potentially done to any efforts to 'build alliance spirit' and the Blizzard rep endorsement of the video? Will an apology solve it?
EDIT 6 - Off to bed for now, thanks to those of you (on either side of the issue) that have made an effort to be constructive. Other people here...depress me. I am wondering if it's time for a 3rd faction...
Basically, in summary:
- I am not an Alliance player or Horde player. I have raided on both and have toons on both. I enjoy the game.
- However, Alliance players have felt put upon for a while now and Blizzard have even actually admitted that they have been too Horde biased recently and that Alliance spirit is in need of repair.
- Blizzcon is well known as being a severe example of this, with Blizzard reps being almost unanimously Horde favoured.
- Blizzcon is also well known for people's sometimes severe attitude to Alliance players. Many threads have been made about Alliance players feeling uncomfortable - at even threatened.
- There have been many reports of disgusting behaviour by Horde players towards Alliance players IRL at Blizzcon. From people being booed and jeered at in crowds, to kids getting shoved around or spat at, to people actually getting beaten up for wearing Alliance shirts.
- This year the closing concert involved a video endorsed by Samwise, one of the Blizzard higher ups who is almost militiristically pro-Horde (joking or otherwise). The video was of an old interview with a semi-famous Metal singer.
- Said singer went on an expletive and slur laden rant against the Alliance, and the people that play them. Whether he went as far as advocating violence is debateable, but it could definately have been interpreted this way.
- Blizzard has stated that it was intended as a joke and that while they are sorry that people were offended, that people are silly for being offended by it.
- There have already been two reports of actual violence stemming out of this. One involves an incident where someone's wife was mauled after the concert. EDIT: Here http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424466214#new-post
- I am all for Faction Pride. I don't like faction hate - when it begins to actually extend to the people who play said faction. I especially don't like it when this viewpoint is promoted and endoresed by an actual Blizzard employee.