Keeping Pandaren Neutral

90 Goblin Priest
First off I want to say I’m truly excited to see the Pandaren join the World of Warcraft. Also having played a Disc Priest for some time I’m looking forward to playing a Monk Healer, it’s the play style I’ve been waiting for.

I really like the concept of the Pandaren as a neutral race. Neat concept of having them pick a side through the starting quest line. But here is a thought I have to keep the race neutral.

Even though you pick a faction at the start you should remain neutral in game to the opposing faction. This would help to keep the Pandaren connected even while they are divided. While out of combat you could have that beer with the opposing faction Panda. But on the battlefield it’s all business.

I’m envisioning that some of the opposing faction areas, maybe even cities or certain areas in cities, remain neutral to Pandaren of either faction. Yes, I’m saying a Horde Panda may walk right into Stormwind without being attacked, and Likewise an Alliance Panda could walk into Orgrimmar.

Here’s how it works. Right now the UI tells us who is hostile(red) , friendly(green), or neutral(yellow). There should be another color to identify the opposing faction Pandaren, say purple. Purple would be the UI color for opposing faction “neutral” players.

Here is an example of what this would look like: When any of the existing horde races enter Stormwind they appear red and can be attacked but when “Horde” Pandaren enter Stormwind they appear purple in the UI and only can be attacked if provoked.

While in Stormwind the Horde Panda might interact with Alliance Panda. They may also visit a few neutral vendors. No Auction House, No Bank, No Flight Paths. They can remain as long as they remain peaceful. If they enter into a duel with any non-Pandaren Alliance character they will become flagged red and can be attacked by any Alliance character.

Also, since Pandaren are the only neutral race they can only enter the opposing faction’s area while solo or only in group with other Pandaren. So if a Horde Panda was grouped with any other Horde race they would be seen as a threat and would be flagged red upon entering any Alliance area.

They can only be attacked and they can only attack if certain conditions are met. They remain neutral until they enter a duel with a member of an opposing faction non-Pandaren race or they enter a group with non-Pandaren races.

Pandaren would only remain neutral as I described above while they are within certain areas like the cities or towns. When they are out in the open world they would just appear to be the opposing faction.

I think if designed right this could make for some very compelling gameplay.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Neutrality isn't as compelling as you might think. I mean, no one ever wants to play Switzerland in Call of Duty, right?

In war based games, you want to be a part of the action. Neutral means you won't have any part of the conflict at all.

In fact, that's why Goblins, Gilneans and Pandaren were not playable from the start. They were neutral. Until they were forced into the war and have to choose a side.

The bifactionality (lol I'm Stephen Colbert) of the Pandaren is a perfect system as is. War isn't fun at all if you don't even get to play.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality? ?
I hate these filthy Neutrals, Brin. With enemies you know where they stand but with Neutrals, who knows? It sickens me.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I think it depends on how the story unfolds. I'd like to believe that the Pandaren are fighting for a cause greater than the factions themselves. The Pandaren are only on both factions to keep balance in the world. It would be a shame for them to become truly divided.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality? ?
I hate these filthy Neutrals, Brin. With enemies you know where they stand but with Neutrals, who knows? It sickens me.

lol I hear ya. But just think of the epic spy questlines they could have.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
Me "How do I know these scissors aren't part of some Neutral plot?"

Some Neutral Panda "But they're not even sharp. Who could I possibly hurt with them?"

Me "The Draeni People of Exodar 4? So, a plan to assassinate a weird-looking goat alien with scissors. How very Neutral of you.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
10/23/2011 10:43 PMPosted by Brin
I think it depends on how the story unfolds. I'd like to believe that the Pandaren are fighting for a cause greater than the factions themselves. The Pandaren are only on both factions to keep balance in the world. It would be a shame for them to become truly divided.

You make a good point. Hopefully the story shows why they chose sides yet do not truly hate eachother as a race that is.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
10/25/2011 09:04 PMPosted by Fawnix

You make a good point. Hopefully the story shows why they chose sides yet do not truly hate eachother as a race that is.

I certainly hope so. I think I'm more excited about the possibility of what the Pandaren may bring despite there being no "main bad guy". The villain may not be embodied in one physical form yet the negativity of war looms throughout the world and the Pandaren strive to bring balance back to the world. Progressive, forward thinking storyline, I like it. I hope Blizzard does it justice.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
There will be no neutral race in this game.

If they were going to do that, they'd have done it with goblins. Goblins were one of the oldest suggested races, always suggested as being neutral.

World of WARcraft; There are always going to be sides with players being on one of the sides.

The only way you can be neutral is to keep your panda at level 10 forever ;)
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Agreed, they aren't neutral in a traditional sense. But if they maintain a sense of Pandaren pride and respect for their race as Metzen suggested at Blizzcon then I think it would be nice to see that type of interaction allowed in game.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Also, Kybeorie, I don't think Goblins would be the right race to remain neutral in the game. They've already been split into various Goblin Factions most of which are neutral with Horde and Alliance. In a sense they are already broken.

Pandaren on the other hand have been alone and secluded for quite some time. By leaving the turtle they are now beginning to split. The challenge for their race is to maintain their cultural identities while living amongst the Alliance and Horde.

To give a real life perspective on this. I am an American. I grew up in the US. I have relatives that immigrated from Poland many years ago. I've lost all of my Polish heritage. All our old customs and beliefs. I know very little of it. The last of my family that remember Poland are gone or soon will be. This is the result of being Americanized.

This will soon be the plight of the Pandaren I just hope they don't lose themselves entirely by leaving the turtle.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue

My internets, you may have them.

on topic, it would be nice if you can put off choosing your side a while and use either of the cities. you'd likely not be able to get many/any quests until you do choose a side, but it would be interesting for a little while. the problem would be people going to the 'other' side's city while unattackable, then suddenly flagging to gank someone.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest

on topic, it would be nice if you can put off choosing your side a while and use either of the cities. you'd likely not be able to get many/any quests until you do choose a side, but it would be interesting for a little while. the problem would be people going to the 'other' side's city while unattackable, then suddenly flagging to gank someone.

True, ganking could be an issue which is why in my original post I suggested that there are rules or limits to how Pandaren can flag in opposing cities. I don't think it would be too hard to figure out.

Besides, with the focus of the next expansion being on the war between the Alliance and Horde wouldn't it make it that much more interesting to know there may be people inside your city that may attack at any time? I think that could help to add to the tension and conflict between the two factions. As well as some epic pvp battles ;)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The way I see it, and of the pandaran npc will with remain neutralish when confronted with pandarans of the other faction, this is just luxury that won't be provided to players for the sake of game mechanics and cutting down on player harassment
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Everyone must choose a side.

If you choose horde, sorry, but you are not welcome in Stormwind.

And if you go there, being pandaren or whatever, we will be pleased to kill you over and over.

I think horde has the same idea about pandarens who choose alliance and then go there pay them a visit.
Edited by Darthdk on 10/27/2011 12:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight

True, ganking could be an issue which is why in my original post I suggested that there are rules or limits to how Pandaren can flag in opposing cities. I don't think it would be too hard to figure out.

Besides, with the focus of the next expansion being on the war between the Alliance and Horde wouldn't it make it that much more interesting to know there may be people inside your city that may attack at any time? I think that could help to add to the tension and conflict between the two factions. As well as some epic pvp battles ;)

I think I got it. Now I understand why the discussion.

And for the records... it's not logical!

If you are neutral, and sunddenly, you're opposed faction and start killing players of the other faction inside their city... you should never possibly be neutral again with them.

If you wanna do invasions, learn how to do PVP. Nowadays it's pretty simple to get a raid and invade and kill the leaders of the opposite faction and mantain control over that city for a certain time.

There's no need to make a miraculous plan to invade a city and still get out of there unharmed.

Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Druid
i approve of the language barrier being lifted but it would have to be lifted completely.

Also neutral in places that Pandarens have a strong influence which would be some of the newer areas. In other races cities and towns i do not believe you should have any neutral standing.

However this neutral status must extend to all races that are related.

For instance the Sin'dorei and Kal'dorei would have to be neutral within each others territories as well. Worgen, Human, and Forsaken would also have this neutral status in each other's territories.

This neutral status would have to work a little differently. For how you have it makes it simple to do a For the Alliance/Horde raid attack, too easy to do some other things as well.

While in this neutral status you appear yellow to the opposing faction. You can duel your related races or the other Horde races without reverting to red.

You can only stay yellow/neutral if you are not grouped and you cannot form a group with your faction under any circumstances while you are in the city or town. You would have to exit it's borders and out of range of it's guards before you can change to red, either by grouping or personal choice for the relative races cities and towns.

You cannot gain Holiday achievements like Dousing Wickermans or Desecrating Bonfires or doing Pumpkin Heads or Bunny Ears in those cities and towns unless you are red to the opposing faction players and the guards.

Doing something requiring red means you spend a minimun of two hours after you complete it before you may turn back to yellow.

You may set your hearthstone while yellow but may only use it on the opposing faction's city/town while you are yellow.

Tentative: You may do your related races racial specific quests if any as long as they can apply to you.
Edited by Floralae on 10/27/2011 1:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]