Update character models: Who would be sad?

85 Worgen Rogue
I'm really finding it difficult to swallow "many players don't want their models updated due to looks concerns." I've talked to a lot of people about this exactly, I even made a forum post about it a few weeks back on this very same topic. If I remember almost everyone was strongly in favor of it, and a few didn't really care. But noone said they would be sad if they lost their original models. I dont actually know anyone who doesn't want it. Now obviously I'm sure there are some out there, but they are either the very very silent minorty, or there are just very very few. I could imagine it's mostly only on RP servers.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Didn't it say, in one of the Q&A sections, that not only do they PLAN on redoing the models, but they are working on it RIGHT NOW?

If so.. then yeah. Stop complaining about "excuses". If not.. then I have no idea where I got that from. o-o
100 Human Paladin
Do whatever it takes to update the models. IDC if the new models make a few people mad, I am 100% behind it! In the process, can you make humans look like humans, and not have little pin-heads and ginormous hands!
90 Pandaren Hunter
I think they should post up their ideas for the updated models and let the customers vote. If they really think it will upset us, then why not get our actual opinions on it?

One of the best things they can do is to let us in on it.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing some updates.
MoP appears to feel like a whole new game anyway.
Edited by Pwncess on 10/22/2011 5:34 PM PDT
100 Dwarf Warrior
Don't let it go to your heads, but I think Blizzard artists will be able to preserve the character and charm in the work of Blizzard artists. ;)

Edit: On a critical note, the dwarven faces in the Council of Three Hammers: Fire and Iron installment (http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/showthread.php?p=275584#post275584) are perfect examples of modern techniques capturing the spirit of Warcraft's original intent. Those mugs are just great. You'd have nary a complaint about them, and perhaps instead a few race changes to dwarf.
Edited by Aedilhild on 10/22/2011 5:43 PM PDT
90 Goblin Warrior
10/22/2011 02:28 PMPosted by Jonos
It's like being attached to old socks. It's nostalgia and fond memories. Yet you don't need to keep those old socks to retain those feelings and memories. Once you get rid of the socks and put on new ones you realize what you were missing. The new socks in no way shape or form take away from the old socks.

NEW SOCKS FOR EVERYONE!

/cheer
85 Goblin Warlock
Didn't it say, in one of the Q&A sections, that not only do they PLAN on redoing the models, but they are working on it RIGHT NOW?

If so.. then yeah. Stop complaining about "excuses". If not.. then I have no idea where I got that from. o-o

While the answer we got at the developer panel confirmed that they are working on it, the answer was very political and did not give a proper timeline for when we will actually see this supposed "work" come to fruition.

In that regard it's the same as them saying they are doing nothing. WoW players want new character models more than anything else, yet Blizzard sits on their hands and pretends we'll be offended when our ugly characters get a much-deserved makeover.
93 Night Elf Druid
They did update them at some point during the Wrath beta(haven't read through everything, so sorry if this is a rehash), and the models looked good for most races and terrible for some. Personally, I wouldn't mind an update, so long as it's just a polishing up to match current tech/in-game models.
100 Blood Elf Paladin

While the answer we got at the developer panel confirmed that they are working on it, the answer was very political and did not give a proper timeline for when we will actually see this supposed "work" come to fruition.

In that regard it's the same as them saying they are doing nothing. WoW players want new character models more than anything else, yet Blizzard sits on their hands and pretends we'll be offended when our ugly characters get a much-deserved makeover.

Ah, okay, thank you.
Well, if they really are working on it.. then at least they're working on it and not just saying "Weeeeeell, I don't knoooowwww, should we? Ehhhhhhhhh.."
It wouldn't be sad at the update itself, more of the effect of it.

This game is an RPG, you make a character look a certain way by your preference. If they update the models, and the character I made to my liking suddenly looks different, in a way I dislike. I'm left with a character I chose the looks of for a specific reason being changed to something I dislike and I'm to pay $10 to something I didn't even ask for, across every character that's messed with.
...I dont actually know anyone who doesn't want it. Now obviously I'm sure there are some out there, but they are either the very very silent minorty, or there are just very very few. I could imagine it's mostly only on RP servers.

As someone who's played on RP servers ever since, oh, late 2006, I can definitely say that I sincerely doubt that the cries for keeping old models come from roleplay realms. In fact, gathering from what I've heard in my years there, I'd say roleplayers are one of the loudest opponents of keeping old models.

Yes, I've met a handful of people who loved the way their Human female looked (for example) but generally I've known countless people who wanted their men to have wrists, for Human males to not have harelips, for Night Elf males to have a crotch and non-bulging thighs, for Troll women to actually blink, etc...
92 Night Elf Warrior
What a lame excuse on Blizzard's part.
98 Blood Elf Mage
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

This made my day. I know this has been more or less stated before, but it is nice to get reminded that sometimes we're all on the same page.

Thank you! <3
86 Dwarf Paladin
The same people that are crying about the new expack are the ones who would nerd rage when the models are updated regardless of how amazing they look ,you would still see omg i quit blizz ruined the game.

They should just put in the option to keep your old model if you so choose
100 Troll Priest
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

Hopefully it means that after 7 long years, a long standing bug with the female troll models may actually be fixed? Are they even aware that no female troll has ever blinked once? That they added DKs, and those blink because the eye animation winks on and off, but something as simple as my character blinking has never happened, after adding 4 unique races, with gender options making 8 unique models?

I understand things like priority order and the like, but come on folks, these are things we run around the game in and experience the game from. Character models really shouldn't be so low on the Art totem pole that it takes 7 years to get around to them, especially after adding so many new effects to the game's environments, as well as how polished all the new races are in comparison.

I am happy that keeping the spirit of the models the same is important as well though. I know I'd be angered by something even as simple as "Hey, trolls can wear shoes now!"
Edited by Meia on 10/22/2011 5:47 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I think fan-artists need to make one big compilation thread in the Suggestions forums of things they'd like to see, and suggestions for changes. They can take suggestions from other players who may not have the same art skills, and bring them onto canvas for everyone to see. Then the artists at Blizzard can look at the thread as references when improving the models, that way they can have some community input.

I know I'd be willing to vector up a few suggestions here and there.
90 Blood Elf Priest
My HANDS! They're HUGE!

Give me normal sized appendages please!

You know what they say about big hands right?

Anyone remeber the old model for the female trolls?

/shudder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lai7ZSJ6lyE
94 Night Elf Hunter
New character models are the #1 piece of new content I want to see.

Don't care about new races, don't care about new classes. New dungeons and zones are important obviously, but at this point, Vanilla (and even BC) models are SO BAD compared to even the lowliest level 1 mobs in the Panderan's starting zone that it's inexcusable for them to go without an overhaul.

I'm glad to hear it's happening, I was very disappointed to find this wasn't a MoP feature.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]