Update character models: Who would be sad?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Like anything blizzard does a a small vocal minority will complain about it on the forums, so saying people will complain about it isn't really a good reason not to update models.

Since everything gets whined about on these forums no matter what it is.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I will be honest here. When I first tried to play WoW in 2005, I stopped playing after a few days because I found most of the character models hideous. The one thing that really captured me though were the inspired locations.

When BC released, I tried again and played a blood elf. From then, I kept playing, and got hooked by the game play and incredible world.

I am one of the people that would absolutely love to have updated models of BC and older races to be made to the standard of the pandas.
85 Undead Warlock
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

The only thing that I'm scared of is that my computer is going to get phased out. You can't really update graphics cards and stuff like that on Macs without having to go out and buy a new one. You lost a lot of subs when you cut PowerPC support at the beginning of Cataclysm, I just hope you don't phase out those of us who are barely hanging on even though we have Intel macs. This computer's only 2 years old and the more I see of MoP I'm worried that will happen. The graphics look wonderful and great, but the game might only be playable by people who have the latest Windows systems and know how to install their own processors and graphics equipment and all that stuff. It would be a shame because that's exactly the kind of thing that turns me off from those games and I'd hate to have it happen to WoW. The main thing I love about this game is the simplicity of it, but as it is now, even on Low settings it's pretty choppy a lot of the time since Cataclysm. I'm really hoping that come MoP I'm not left out in the cold.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Make me even cuter than I already am????

Sure :-)

Not sure that's possible.

FemGnomes tend to already be adorable.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I'll miss my night elf casting like an idiot, and running around like a tard.
loljk

amg must! cast! migraine!
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Awesome! The old pre cata models really need some work, especially the vanilla models which look like something you would find in my bathroom after I've just relieved myself.
Edited by Därkwanderer on 10/22/2011 6:35 PM PDT
I would love it if human males didn't look like neanderthals, so so much.
100 Gnome Warlock
My Gnome wants an update!
85 Orc Shaman
Nope.
90 Pandaren Hunter
Well it seems the general consensus is a change is in order and would be well received.
Roll it out Blizz with 5.0 please.
100 Draenei Paladin
If they do this they should send out a one time use item to all previously made characters that allow you to change the character creations presets. That way if you hate your "new" face you have one chance to change it and then you're stuck with it. That way if someone truly hates their new textures as opposed to the old ones they can customize their character as if it were newly created. Once confirmed though, you're stuck with it.
99 Tauren Hunter
Well I get the idea of not changing the models to drimatically but you can just clean them up and update them like you did with those new tiger models you showed us at the con. If you can do it to a tiger you should be able to do it to character models.
90 Blood Elf Priest
I was originally a female undead on this toon but I got tired of jumping like a frog and having terrible hair. Plus I didn't like the inexplicable missing parts of my robes. How do the sleeves stay up when the entire elbow joint piece is missing?! I didn't crawl out of the ground wearing tier clothes, so they should be intact!
However, I love undead and would totally race change back if they were updated. I could even live with the froggy jump!
85 Night Elf Druid
I was originally a female undead on this toon but I got tired of jumping like a frog and having terrible hair. Plus I didn't like the inexplicable missing parts of my robes. How do the sleeves stay up when the entire elbow joint piece is missing?! I didn't crawl out of the ground wearing tier clothes, so they should be intact!
However, I love undead and would totally race change back if they were updated. I could even live with the froggy jump!

lol, I love this post.
90 Orc Hunter
At the beginning of Cata, some tiny minor feature on Trolls was changed- cue freakout by troll players to change it back.

I'm sure this thread will get plenty of people who think they would be A-okay with their character model being touched at all, but they really can't say until they've experienced it.

Minor change? You mean when they gave them humans sketeons?
where/how do you know what the majority of wow that agrees or disagrees with this
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I took the liberty of downloading model viewer and doing some edits to a basic female blood elf model. This is the one I use on my hunter, and I fixed a few small issues I noticed to give an example of how much of a difference it makes.

What I did:

Rounded off the chin (it was very rectangular).
Darkened the shading under the chin and smoothed out the neck.
Smoothed out the lips, took away the weird green part at the corners.
Lightened the whites of her eyes to make the irises more visible behind the glow particle effect. (Disabled for the sake of the edit).
Darkened eye makeup to make them more visible under the glow particle effect. Also added more eyelashes.

ALL colors were taken from the original image and eyedroppered for use. No colors were selected manually by me.

http://i53.tinypic.com/14sgksm.png

Now I did this on Paint Tool SAI using mostly the Brush tool with low blend. It's different actually editing, but I wanted to demonstrate how TINY changes to a picture can make a lot of difference.
Edited by Nevarià on 10/22/2011 7:05 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]