Update character models: Who would be sad?

85 Blood Elf Priest
Give people the option to choose old or new models.

WOW PROBLEM SOLVED! DERP

Marry me.
90 Human Mage
I think all my female chars look cute but the males are hideous. I really don't see people getting that attached to the faces because they are so ill defined. The one thing that might be an issue is if having additional textures somehow changes what your armor looks like - now that could be an issue.

I guess the one thing I can see as an issue is how do you change your face if you want a different one given so many new cool choices? Do you require people to pay for character customization? Do you make a new in game feature to allow people to do facials? I think this might be a larger deal than actually updating the models.
Community Manager
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).
90 Worgen Warrior
Does this include the 'new' races? Most specifically, redoing female worgen?

Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).
60 Gnome Rogue
Thank you! <3
85 Gnome Rogue
Thank you Z
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm all for looking more pretty ;).
85 Human Paladin
Thank you Zar, and all the wonderful people at Blizzard.
90 Draenei Paladin

I suppose it does make sense our models would be updated for an expansion where a majority of the conflict seems to focus on the enemy faction. We'll be looking at any new models a lot more than we have been.

Also, yay! First time a blue's posted in a forum post I've posted in. Took me 7 years. x3
Edited by Auramis on 10/22/2011 3:55 PM PDT
90 Human Mage
Zarhym, you're at BlizzCon dealing with us in person and still finding time to update the forums with sizeable, well-crafted responses. How the HELL do you do it?

85 Gnome Rogue
Zarhym, you're at BlizzCon dealing with us in person and still finding time to update the forums with sizeable, well-crafted responses. How the HELL do you do it?

Cloning.
12 Orc Warlock
I really hope the update comes with MoP. Bring it on!
85 Gnome Mage

Awesome! Thank you for this post. I for one will look at it as shiny new content. Looking forward to this whenever it may be.
85 Orc Warlock

He is diamonds.

And magic.
2 Undead Priest
I would be SOOOOO MAD! Why on earth would I want to looker cooler and more shiny?

Hopefully you don't wait an entire expansion again to do this. Or at least start revealing what the changes will look like even if it's going to be the next expansion after MoP.
Edited by Garotar on 10/22/2011 4:00 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]