Update character models: Who would be sad?

50 Gnome Warlock
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

Great success!! That includes re-doing the worgen female face also? Oh, & also the human female's jump & dance? It's dreadful to watch. :3
85 Human Death Knight
Thank you. Don't forgot to take that stick out of the human males butt, so we can run like normal humans!
85 Worgen Druid
Zarhym, you're at BlizzCon dealing with us in person and still finding time to update the forums with sizeable, well-crafted responses. How the HELL do you do it?

210 WPM he does.

OT:
I'm all for updating the original, including Draenei and Blood elf models.
Edited by Plixis on 10/22/2011 4:01 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage
*looks at female NElves*
*looks at the Cataclysm Ysera model*

If even that level of change is 'wrecking people's avatars', all I can say is "do you need another bulldozer driver?" :D
15 Night Elf Hunter
Good to hear Blizz! Looking forward to that day!
85 Blood Elf Priest
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

I'll consider it shiny new content
85 Human Mage

It is just an excuse.

They know the models are outdated. They have been outdated for a long time.

Yet they make the scenery, our gear, & NPCs look good...

We're just left to look like N64 characters in a PS3 kinda world.

I keep my graphics on low settings just so I don't get enraged seeing the "amazing" water compared to my Ocrarina of Time toon!

I wouldn't be so quick to call it an excuse...... when everquest changed the character models they weren't well received, because as Frank Pearce was saying people become attached to those old character models that they've known for many years.

I for one know i'd gladly accept new models
Edited by Rlwizard on 10/22/2011 4:07 PM PDT
100 Human Paladin
Thank you so much Zar! <3
90 Draenei Paladin
10/22/2011 03:50 PMPosted by Ranaulf
Does this include the 'new' races? Most specifically, redoing female worgen?

Why would it? You're still new. You've not worn your model for 7 years, looking the exact same. Your models are VERY nice.
37 Night Elf Mage
10/22/2011 03:52 PMPosted by Rowle
The skull's moving a lot more than I remember it doing.

I bet he got an update before us.
7 Tauren Shaman
who else bets they'll forget about moonkin
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks a whole bunch, Zar. <3 Tell the art team I love them. TELL THEM ALL. Individually. I'm their biggest fan.
85 Human Warlock
Scrap the pet wars crap and use that valuable time and those precious resources on new models for old races and you will make millions very happy.
I would love this. Also, Can we ladies get that Foxtail Ponytail already? You know, the one that Varian Wrynn has, that all the boys can have?

I LUST AFTER THAT PONYTAIL.
85 Goblin Warlock
I would rather have ALL player models up to the standards of the Goblin/Worgen/Pandaren then have a new dungeon/raid tier. I really would, the old models are so outdated and ugly it is physically painful to look at them.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]