Update character models: Who would be sad?

100 Orc Shaman
I chose the only viable option for a female orc, the others are terrible, welcome change.
85 Undead Warrior
10/22/2011 03:59 PMPosted by Ageofford
I would be SOOOOO MAD! Why on earth would I want to looker cooler and more shiny?

Hahaha. xD Exactly.

I was thrilled by Chris Robinson's response in the Q&A. The only question now is: when!
85 Worgen Druid
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

Would it be terribly difficult to have an option at the character select (or re-customization screen) that allows, say, Night Elf characters to have their current "classic" look, or select the newer "Highborne" look?

Seems like it would completely dismiss the argument that some people are attached to their characters if only they were allowed to select which one they wanted.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Ooooh! Yaaaaaay. I'm excited for this. <3 FINALLY.
85 Gnome Rogue
Would it be terribly difficult to have an option at the character select (or re-customization screen) that allows, say, Night Elf characters to have their current "classic" look, or select the newer "Highborne" look?

Seems like it would completely dismiss the argument that some people are attached to their characters if only they were allowed to select which one they wanted.

I played EQ2 for about a month. While I didn't like much of the actual gameplay or world design, their UI stuff is pretty great. While Blizzard is "borrowing" Pokemon from Nintendo, they should borrow some of the EQ2 customization options from SOE.

Being able to toggle which model you use seems like a fine option. The only issue I can see would be consistency between players. If I have my old model turned on, would everyone see that, or would they see the option they have toggled? Would the new models be so drastically improved that anyone using an old model would look totally out of place (not that they don't already next to a Worgen or Goblin...)?
90 Draenei Paladin
Before any worg(more) en or goblins ask, your models are fine as they are. They're amazing, so I don't see why they need to update then when they're already so well done. Heck, worgen have a human form that will get updated, so they get to taste it too.
10 Undead Mage
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

This is amazing news. :D Thank you, thank you!!!
Edited by Dodensang on 10/22/2011 4:22 PM PDT
10 Troll Warlock
10/22/2011 03:46 PMPosted by Zarhym
And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content.

While they specifically said no, there would be no new moonkin form, I would certainly think that's shiny new content.
85 Worgen Death Knight
[quote]

I wouldn't be so quick to call it an excuse...... when everquest changed the character models they weren't well received, because as Frank Pearce was saying people become attached to those old character models that they've known for many years.

I for one know i'd gladly accept new models

Yeah, I remember this. Happened during the Shadows of Luclin X-Pac. SoE updated the models to bring em more in line with the new Vah Shir race. Some of the models weren't so bad (like the Elvish ones), but the new Troll model was horrible.

The original Troll model was way better, with their fat, dumpy bodies and the way they waddled when they ran. Also they had much meaner looking expressions on their faces, which fit them perfectly. Reminded me of the classic image of the "Angry Troll who lives under the bridge". The new models they added in SoL were far too skinny, had a blank stupid "duh" expression on their face, and one shoulder hung lower then the other, which looked awful when they ran.

I'm all for model updates, as long as they do it the way Zarhym stated in his post (retaining the original look while updating the animations and overall quality of the models to bring em up to par with the new races).
Edited by Jonathan on 10/22/2011 4:27 PM PDT
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/22/2011 04:11 PMPosted by Pathogen
who else bets they'll forget about moonkin

Druids' shapeshift forms were updated during Wrath.
100 Worgen Priest
Sad? Like hell it would.

I want updated models.
53 Draenei Paladin

So this is likely not happening in 5.0. Can you say it's possible we could see it in minor patches over the course of the expansion (like 3 per patch?)
85 Human Priest
we human females want new hair styles and please get rid of the old lady faces haha
92 Night Elf Rogue
I would love to see an updated model and think they are just dragging their feet. I understand their might be new coolers stuff to work on but this is something we have wanted for YEARS.
85 Human Paladin
10/22/2011 04:12 PMPosted by Lethalock
Scrap the pet wars crap and use that valuable time and those precious resources on new models for old races and you will make millions very happy.

This, there are enough fantasy cockfighting games out there as is.
85 Dwarf Hunter
10/22/2011 02:23 PMPosted by Elsebethe
The answer was it would upset players attached to their character they have played for years and be disruptive to the game.

I'm not sure how you got that from the answer that was given. You basically quoted them only on the concern they have-- and that they want to work around-- and ignored how they said they're working on updating the old models as we speak.

10/22/2011 03:46 PMPosted by Zarhym
As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

I'm really happy that Blizz is working on this, and that they're sensitive to the fact that we may not want our characters' looks to drastically change. Because, depending on the actual outcome, there are some of my characters that I would gladly change to a whole new look, and other characters that I would want to keep looking the way they are-- just with more polys, better textures, better animations.

If they can find a way to let us preview the changes, and decide on a by-character basis whether to go with the new models, then that would be awesome. However, looking back on the history of other changes, and knowing Blizz won't want to spend a huge amount of time and money on updates just to have them go unused, I'm pretty sure they won't go that route. We'll probably have to go with the updated models whether we want to or not.

That also mean, though, that they will not radically alter the looks of our models-- but rather, update them. So Night Elf and Human males (for example) will probably still look very much like they do now-- just higher quality.

That will probably be seen by us players as a good thing for some characters, and a bad thing for others.
85 Troll Mage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QfSzgV1q5g
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]