Update character models: Who would be sad?

85 Dwarf Warrior
10/22/2011 04:37 PMPosted by Gwenno
They updated the models during EQ's career and it was a disaster

True. A lot of people started having performance problems and opted to shut them off entirely.
I don't mind any updates as long as it doesn't effect performance.

85 Blood Elf Paladin
As one of the players that HATED the new tree of life form, I am inclined to be a little concerned about updated models. Some of my toons I've had for a very long time and am used to the same polygons every time I log on.

That being said, if Blizzard can find a way to update the player models without too steep of a change (similar to Nintendo updating Ocarina of Time), I will be all for it.
85 Human Priest
We love you Z! <3 thank you.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I'm stoked! I hope the Night Elf female models look similar to Ysera, new Tyrande and Azshara! But that's just me. Of course they wouldn't look exactly the same, but I want them to go that route with more customization options. Woooooot!! :)
90 Draenei Warrior
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

Nice to see we really are being listened to once in a while.
85 Human Priest
Would not be sad in the slightest.
86 Blood Elf Priest
10/22/2011 04:13 PMPosted by Gràve
I would rather have ALL player models up to the standards of the Goblin/Worgen/Pandaren then have a new dungeon/raid tier. I really would, the old models are so outdated and ugly it is physically painful to look at them.

This.

While it is nice to hear they "are planning" on updating them, it sounds a bit like the neighbor who says he's "planning" to clean his garage but never does. Either it is on the to-do list, or it's not.

Each xpac hopes to broaden its subscriber base and not necessarily appease those they have already won. Unless people actually quit because the models are not updated, I do not think they will be compelled to fulfill this request even for the oldest models.
90 Tauren Paladin
I don't think people are opposed to the idea of character models. They're more so cautious to the ways the update could go. They want the update without having it result in a look they don't like. For example, tree of life update. (Not referring to the fact that it's a cooldown now - look only)
100 Night Elf Priest
I'm all for this. I've been yearning for an updated model for a long time now.

One thing I thought may help with people who don't necessarily like the way the re-imagining of their characters model turned out would be to flag the updated models with a re-customization on the character screen.

Using a tech that's already in the game may make it a bit easier. With the updates people may have an easier time transitioning to the new models if there's and option to choose something they like a bit better.

Considering art etc. is a very subjective in what people find appealing. Giving people choice in this may go a long way to relieving some of the tension that these changes may cause.

100 Draenei Hunter
I certainly wouldn't mind an update.
Edited by Zen on 10/22/2011 5:06 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Mage
That's nonsense.

Probably someone has already proposed this here, but why not to update models and let players choose between old and new graphics when creating a new char?

They'll have to create animations for monk class for all races, won't they? Why not to use that excuse to update skins (and models too huh)?
1 Blood Elf Warrior
older models definately definately definatelyyyyyyyyyyy need a makeover, like years ago.

a revamp should have come long before a new race imo.

we need a huge addition of customization features added to alter current models and for new beginners. this is one of the few games with so few choices of how to look. in this day and age its years behind the others.

dont be lazy blizz, please for the love orf god! give ppl the option then to change at least, those "attached" can stay as is, but the other 90% of players would love to change their looks.
eye color, size, height, weight, eyebrows, ears, leg lenth, arm length...etc, every aspect should be adjustable, as well as many many new faces to choose from, many new color tones, and at least quadruple the hairstyles avail as well @@

sheesh each race looks like 5 basic cut paper cutouts :(

90 Undead Death Knight
Art Director Chris Robinson spoke on this just moments ago at the BlizzCon Open Q&A panel. It was in reply to an attendee who brought up that, in the art panel, it was explained that the pandaren model has 10 times the bone structures of the classic races, allowing for many more facial animations.

To paraphrase his statement -- which isn't too different from what I've said here on the forums before -- we absolutely plan on updating the existing models. As Chris mentioned, we want to make sure we preserve the look and feel of the original models players have come to know and love, while vastly improving their model and animation quality to be more in-line with the newer races.

We're not going to hide behind the statement that too many players will get mad if we tamper with their models, but it's a concern -- not a concern that's going to stop us from doing it, however. I want to stress as well that it's a massive undertaking to go back and do this. And to a lot of people it's something that won't be considered shiny new content. But not only do we hear the masses of players calling for this update, we really feel it's time to bring them up to par with newer models as well.

The game continues to age, but as we have no plans of slowing down on development any time in the near future, we want to keep updating and polishing it to stand the test of time (again, without sacrificing the look and feel which has brought players in over the years).

Out of all of the MoP information released. This statement has disappointed me the most.
I really have no idea how you guys wouldn't put this as a priority. People have asked for it.
Every year.
On your forums.
At your conventions.
In your game.
It is one of the most reliable questions to be asked in the presence of a developer, you can always count on someone to ask it.
And every time we get the same response. THE EXACT same response.

You state that you have budgets for time and money when it comes to creating art assets.
Why dont you not spend two years developing the Panderan's character model and use some of that time to update the other race models as well? Twelve updated race models and a new one are better than one new one.
And no one feels left out. Like we do every content patch and expansion.
Somehow a raid I see for less than two hours a week now is more important than a character I see 100% of the time when I play.
Edited by Laina on 10/22/2011 5:13 PM PDT
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
Edited by Tandrell on 7/31/2012 7:40 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I would not be sad and welcome an update to character models!!
85 Troll Shaman
10/22/2011 04:38 PMPosted by Mironath
They had better not mess up my Trolls.
35 Worgen Warrior
Just do something like Everquest did. They updated their models, while keeping the old models for people who couldn't run the new ones on their computer.
85 Human Paladin
I really hope they do update the models for patch 5.0. It'd be a pretty big selling point for me if I chose to continue playing this game over another game with more up to date graphics.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]