Pandas can't talk to each other? Why?

(Locked)

Taken from http://www.wowheadnews.com/blog=196641/blizzcon-2011-exclusive-interview-with-dave-kosak-wow-lead-quest-designer:

Q: When new pandaren are created they are all neutral. Will they lose their ability to communicate with other Pandaren of the other faction once they have chosen a side?

A: Pandaren will not be able to speak to pandaren from other factions.

My question is, why? From a lore standpoint this makes absolutely no sense. Pandaren are there to be the peacemongers and I am quite sure that once you choose a faction there's not some magical language barrier that gets cast on the members of said faction that would prevent you from speaking your native language. From a purely technical standpoint, and maybe from a PvP battleground standpoint, I might understand. Maybe.

If I click the chat bubble and find "Pandanese" or whatever their language is supposed to be, then we should be able to /say or /yell hi to each other. Given the nature of the Pandaren and what was said about them in the Q&A sessions there's just no real reason for it except for someone's asinine desire to absolutely prevent cross-faction talking. To restrict even members of the exact same race who set off from their home land on separate paths at the same time from being able to talk to each other is far more of a nuisance than anything else.

TL;DR: Pandarens not being able to talk to each other cross-faction makes no sense. While a small detail, is quite story breaking especially because of the Pandaren's main purpose for being there in the first place.

EDIT: If you like this, please remember to thumbs-up the thread.
Edited by Vangon on 10/25/2011 8:44 PM PDT
25 Blood Elf Priest
Game > lore on this one point to eliminate cross-faction trash talk. Not going to happen.
90 Tauren Druid
That'a just a game mechanic, not a lore based decision. In lore, most characters know the language of the opposing faction. Quest givers with all kinds of backgrounds talk to you and pass their message. Leaders of both factions, and also less important members discuss things with each other in books and ingame all the time. Pandas from both factions can talk to each other, but ingame no one from a faction can talk to people from the opposite faction, it's as simple as that.
@Moanshadow: I disagree completely, mostly on the basis that games such as Guild Wars, Rifts and so on have no language barrier, but there's little trash talk I've ever seen going on within. There might be a little, but it's fairly minimal.

@Khaila: A reasonable response. However it would have been fun for it to be the beginnings of the language barrier being broken. I still find the language barrier very...dumb and unnecessary. If it's there to facilitate story, then I still stand by my argument. If it's there strictly to promote a barrier between two factions for PvP purposes, then why do we even have PvE and RP realms? Even then I find that to be a hardly-valid reason as other games exist with factions and PvP, and it's a rather simple process still to /ignore someone or report outright harassment.
Edited by Vangon on 10/24/2011 9:47 AM PDT
25 Blood Elf Priest
Someone with a longer history in the game than me will have to address this but for a brief period of time--I believe that it was in the vanilla beta--there was no language barrier between factions. The result was so toxic that it was immediately removed from the game. I really don't know the details but have read about it a few times.

Myself, I'd be fine with it but I have no illusions at all about how it would read with this group of players. Trade is bad enough now. Someone in another thread noted that it was mentioned at Blizzcon and quickly shot down.
Edited by Moanshadow on 10/24/2011 10:06 AM PDT
10/24/2011 10:06 AMPosted by Moanshadow
Myself, I'd be fine with it but I have no illusions at all about how it would read with this group of players.

You do have a very valid point there. It's pretty sad that the actions of some would in fact ruin something like this for the rest. I hope one day to see a complete breakdown of the faction barrier itself. I have friends that play Alliance and don't want to play Horde simply because of their racial preference. Being all on RealID it would be lovely to actually run dungeons with them and do many things together. One might argue I should just roll Alliance, but I barely have time to play what few Horde toons I have much less leveling and gearing up an Ally toon just so I can play with a good friend or two.
Edited by Vangon on 10/24/2011 1:39 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Priest
I thinks its time they remove this speech barrier and allow factions to talk to each other using only /say or /yell (no whispers because of abuse).
73 Gnome Warlock
10/24/2011 10:06 AMPosted by Moanshadow
Someone with a longer history in the game than me will have to address this but for a brief period of time--I believe that it was in the vanilla beta--there was no language barrier between factions.

It was undead being able to speak Common. After that incident it was changed to gutterspeak.
85 Blood Elf Mage
Basically, Pandas hold serious grudges. You may have once been like a brother to me, but you chose the wrong side - therefore I will never, ever speak to you again!
90 Night Elf Druid
10/24/2011 09:46 AMPosted by Vangon
@Moanshadow: I disagree completely, mostly on the basis that games such as Guild Wars, Rifts and so on have no language barrier, but there's little trash talk I've ever seen going on within. There might be a little, but it's fairly minimal.
Other games don't have factions as polarized as those of World of Warcraft. Rift, GW, and Aion are all relatively new universes. Warcraft has been around since 1994. People who chose one side or the other are pretty committed. That's what caused all the trash talking in the vanilla beta for WoW, and that's what cause Blizzard to implement a language barrier.

It may also be that Blizzard wants people to polarize. When you polarize factions, the war is that much more passionate and real.
Edited by Fanahlia on 10/24/2011 1:51 PM PDT
Just like Death Knights and Goblins everywhere, the moment we pick sides we lose our ability to communicate with each other.
Community Manager
We do understand that, by not allowing pandaren of the opposite faction to communicate with one another, there's a breakdown in the story there. But we feel strongly at this point that changing the precedent on cross-faction communication for one race only will ultimately not lead to a good gameplay experience. We're very excited to introduce a race that can be chosen by either faction, though we don't see our philosophy on cross-faction communication changing as a result of this.

This isn't very related, nor is it a way of properly compensating for that communication limitation, but one thing we'd like to do (we think is cool and warranted) is make a unique place in the world exclusive to monks -- think Moonglade for druids.
90 Human Warrior
We do understand that, by not allowing pandaren of the opposite faction to communicate with one another, there's a breakdown in the story there. But we feel strongly at this point that changing the precedent on cross-faction communication for one race only will ultimately not lead to a good gameplay experience. We're very excited to introduce a race that can be chosen by either faction, though we don't see our philosophy on cross-faction communication changing as a result of this.

This isn't very related, nor is it a way of properly compensating for that communication limitation, but one thing we'd like to do (we think is cool and warranted) is make a unique place in the world exclusive to monks -- think Moonglade for druids.

can it be a brewery?
90 Troll Shaman

can it be a brewery?

2 places I can think of... secret place in Stonetalon Mountains told about, or the resting place in northrend.
88 Tauren Warrior

I support the lack of cross faction communication, perhaps it is a rule forced down upon them by their respective factions "no communication to the opposite faction, punishable by death"

And I support the area for Monks too... maybe you can phase the Turtle after the Pandaren quests, so monks can use it as a base to meditate. the Druids have Moonglade, DKs have their... Ziggarot thing. Monks would be cool to have their onw.
90 Tauren Death Knight
10/24/2011 01:42 PMPosted by Seviren
I thinks its time they remove this speech barrier and allow factions to talk to each other using only /say or /yell (no whispers because of abuse).

+1 i even think it would promote world pvp :)

The language divide between factions is fairly archaic and doesn't really serve a purpose anymore given that the main concern with it: Talking smack on a PVP server - happens anyway if someone gets ganked since now they can just roll an alt on the faction and spam.

What purpose does the language barrier serve at this point? I am honestly curious. If there is sound logic behind it, I am willing to change my opinion.

I would definitely expect both sides to keep the orcish and common as well as their own languages, but I don't understand why the forsaken who knew common lost knowledge of it - plus faction leaders clearly communicate with each other all the time in books, questlines, and cinematics.

So yeah.

ETA: To put it into perspective, the 3 horde that divebomb stormwind on suicide PVP runs yelling, "I'MMA CHARGIN' MAH LAZOR" and the alliance being able to understand it isn't any more* disruptive than the people on the alliance faction standing in front of the auction house doing the same exact thing. Food for thought.
Edited by Alona on 10/24/2011 2:39 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]