My honest reaction to the Pandas

90 Undead Warlock
This is post-capped. Continuation thread here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424687553#1

I was one of the many who purchased a Blizzcon Virtual ticket.

I was with my roommate, watching the Opening Ceremony Friday night. When the trailer played, I was sure it was a joke. I figured that since the "Mists of Panderia" trademark thing had leaked, they decided to prank us and then say "Nope, jk, heres the real xpack."

Even the racials seemed to be trolling. But the "jk" never came. Blizzcon kept rolling forward full steam and it hit me: The Pandas were for real.

My first words to my roommate were "I think I might actually be done with WoW." My roommate, sometimes wiser than I, said "I dont know yet. What if it turns out so be a lot of fun?"

So, over the next two days, I sat with my friends and watched all the panels and interviews. I payed close attention to what was said and tried my best to be unbiased. And, it happened slowly, my opinion changed.

Blizzard has given the Panderan a rich culture and a specific way of thinking. A history that goes back beyond the sundering with their own struggles and accomplishments. They have an identity beyond "Look, its Pandas."

And the Horde and Alliance? With Deathwing finally defeated they are left with a world thats broken, land thats ruined, and a lot of stuff thats on fire. Supplies are strained if not running out and tempers are flaring. Then, unmasked by the Cataclysm, they find an entire land unspoiled by disaster and ripe for exploiting.

I mean, Garrosh and Varian have pretty much been poking eachother repeatedly with sharp sticks. Imagine what both would do to gain the upper hand (and bigger stick)?

Then theres the Sha, physical manifestations of bad juju... and after three expansions of doom, gloom, and death, the broken and hurting members of both factions have plenty of bad juju.

All of this information given to us by the people who know and love this world. People who spoke of it with such enthusiasm. They, who have one of the most enduring franchises in video games, believe in what they are putting forward.

Kneejerk reactions and first impressions are fine but they warrant further inspection. And it was this inspection that led not only the story, history, and implications to change my mind but the passion and fervor with which they were given.

I have turned from wanting to quit to wanting to try it out. Am I saying its all going to be wonder, sunshine, and unicorns pooping rainbows? No. What i am saying is that it -could- be. And Blizzard has done a lot over the last seven years to earn my trust.

They asked "Come with us, come see what were doing here." So, Ill give it a shot. I mean, my roommate said it: "What -if- it turns out to be a lot of fun?"
Edited by Laider on 10/27/2011 11:22 AM PDT
70 Worgen Warrior
As soon as he started saying "a noble, peaceful race" or whatever it was, I started cursing, because I too thought it was a joke. Even before the video started I knew what was coming. I'm trying to accept it and just look at all the other stuff, but the new talent system, the zones, meh.
90 Gnome Rogue
Thumbs up.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
10/26/2011 12:16 AMPosted by Laider
its all going to be wonder, sunshine, and unicorns pooping rainbows?

no... it's gonna be glitter, sunshine, and bunny rabbits eating rainbows and pooping hearts and butterflies.
90 Undead Death Knight
10/26/2011 12:21 AMPosted by Tralana
its all going to be wonder, sunshine, and unicorns pooping rainbows?

no... it's gonna be glitter, sunshine, and bunny rabbits eating rainbows and pooping hearts and butterflies.
Flying purple hippos in tophats that leave rainbow trails and vomit hearts.
90 Undead Warlock
My hope is that "noble" and "peaceful" doesnt mean "care bear." They kept saying that the Panderan fight for resolution, not for anger or hatred. This could work. We have plenty of anger and hatred so, Im assuming, they will fight to resolve whatever issues we bring to them.

The Tauren have also been described as peaceful... until you mess with them.
Edited by Laider on 10/26/2011 12:24 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Mage
My first reaction was "man this is stupid, I'm out".

Then I remembered a few things.

1: I love ancient Chinese culture.

2: I love Pokemon.

3: Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2 were both great movies.

4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGMN-gNfdaY

Now I can't wait for MoP.
85 Worgen Death Knight
Honestly, my first reaction to the trailer was "Wow, that landscape is beautiful!" then it clicked in my head that it was adding Pandarens and my thought process went to ".....I CAN DRINK WITH CHEN!!!!" no clue why.
57 Worgen Druid
I think the problem with MoP is that the trailer itself sucked hard, seeing only that it's easy to see why so many impulsive idiots are raging. Hope they do it better with the cinematic one.

After getting owned many times by a Pandaren Brewmaster in WC3, I doubt noble and peaceful translate into "care bear", more of the lines, "I'm good as long as you don't mess me up, but when you do..." seriously, those damn things used freaking booze to breathe fire at you.
Edited by Vollmond on 10/26/2011 12:34 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Priest
10/26/2011 12:32 AMPosted by Vollmond
I think the problem with MoP is that the trailer itself sucked hard, seeing only that it's easy to see why so many impulsive idiots are raging. Hope they do it better with the cinematic one.

i loved the trailer >.>
maybe just cuz of all the beautiful landscape...
85 Worgen Death Knight

For some reason, I want the cinematic to open with an old Pandaren Monk smoking from a pipe.
85 Draenei Death Knight
You get a hoof of approval from me undead person :D
90 Undead Warlock

I agree, it was bad form to follow all of our epic things from past expansions with what was essentially "Watch us dance!"

Blizz has learned from these things before so I too am hoping the cinematic captures the feel the panels tried to convey.
57 Worgen Druid
10/26/2011 12:33 AMPosted by Velintra

i loved the trailer >.>
maybe just cuz of all the beautiful landscape...

Aside from the landscape, there was nothing too exciting about it tbh, and for any uninformed/impulsive idiot it makes it retardedly easy to mix up with certain Dreamworks movie and dismiss it because of that.
70 Worgen Warrior
10/26/2011 12:50 AMPosted by Bocephuss
Pandaren idea is cool..I just wish that there were NPCs or some kind of mention in the game..I don't recall a single quest or NPC mentioning anything about them, now all of a sudden theres a whole expansion having to do with them.

There was one pandaren in W3 that was on one lvl if I remember right and didn't even need to be played to finish.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]