My honest reaction to the Pandas

90 Undead Warlock
If you were seriously going to quit over the announcement of an expansion you know absolutely nothing about, then it sounds like you were just looking for a reason to quit..

That is what is so tricky about kneejerk reactions. While youre having them, you feel like you know whats coming and its what you -think- you know that makes you want to quit.

That is to say: those seeking an excuse react and quit but not all those who react and quit were seeking an excuse. And its the latter that my post was addressing.
Community Manager
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I did want to make one comment on:

10/26/2011 12:16 AMPosted by Laider
Blizzard has given the Panderan a rich culture and a specific way of thinking. A history that goes back beyond the sundering with their own struggles and accomplishments. They have an identity beyond "Look, its Pandas."

This is something I want to touch on a bit more. People seem to think that Pandaren were a joke, a throw away easter egg that we never fully intended as a playable race.

I will direct you to recall the Warcraft RPG (pen and paper) manuals released in 2003. While much of it hasn't been canon for quite some time, the Pandaren occupy a greater amount of pages and space within the manuals to establish their lore and story than pretty much every other creature on Azeroth. To give it some context, they occupy the same number of pages as Trolls in the Monster Manual, and share the same amount space in the Alliance and Horde Compendium with Orcs or Humans, and just like them ... you guessed it... Pandaren were a playable race.

(there's also an awesome sketch Metzen did of a Pandaren, Dwarf, Furbolg, and Gnome hanging out all friendly-like)

As I said a lot of this was pre-World of Warcraft, and by whatever stroke of fate, Trolls and Forsaken became playable races and Pandaren, Naga, and Furbolgs did not. Some other mix could have just as easily been true, and no one would have questioned it. Worgen didn't even exist back then, of course, they were a new creation for World of Warcraft.

It would simply be inaccurate to state that Pandaren were a throw away. Our intent, going back to Warcraft III, when the vast majority of the world lore and story was established for the franchise, was always to have a deep and rich history for a race known as the Pandaren.
Edited by Bashiok on 10/26/2011 1:05 AM PDT
90 Human Warlock
10/26/2011 12:55 AMPosted by Bashiok
(there's also an awesome sketch Metzen did of a Pandaren, Dwarf, Furbolg, and Gnome hanging out all friendly-like)

That sounds terrifying for some reason...
57 Worgen Druid
10/26/2011 12:50 AMPosted by Bocephuss
The norm in WoW has always been giant dragons, firelords, and corrupt good guy that we've all seen sometime or another throughout our experience playing..Then BAM! Kung-fu pandas are introduced 7 years later, shattering our "norm" experience. I never played Warcraft or any other MMO before WoW so I don;t know the history, which is why my first reaction was WTF? Just like you though, i was filled with optimism after hearing what blizz had to say.

There have been even more extreme lore changes/additions before, the whole transition from WC2 to WC3 is one of the most extreme things ever, basically they introduced the entirety of Kalimdor, the Night Elves, the Undead (being more than just a DK spell I mean), the Tauren, Orcs not being purely evil and all concerning them in the whole lore in one sweep.

After liking how they dealt with all of that (man it's a lot) in previous games, though some people yell retcon, I say it's a freaking game, and it's better now than before, I think we can trust they will deliver in making the Pandaren a respectable race.
Edited by Vollmond on 10/26/2011 1:02 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Mage
@Bashiok: Thank you for that information. I did not know that.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
10/26/2011 12:55 AMPosted by Bashiok
Trolls and Forsaken became playable races and Pandaren, Naga, and Furbolgs did not

hint for expac after MoP? :P Naga and Furbolgs become playable?
90 Undead Warlock

The norm in WoW has always been giant dragons, firelords, and corrupt good guy that we've all seen sometime or another throughout our experience playing..Then BAM! Kung-fu pandas are introduced 7 years later, shattering our "norm" experience.

That is actually something that intrigues me. From what was said at Blizzcon, this Panderan emperor or chief or important guy did something to seal pandaria off from the world at around the time of the sundering.

So, for 10,000 years, the world we know and the world of the Panderans have evolved on their own paths. They not knowing of us, and we not knowing of them. (I speak in broad terms of course. Even if we knew of Chen, we didnt know of Panderia.)

Now, thanks to the Cataclysm, we have to deal with this new people and they have to deal with us... and we are a handful methinks.
85 Worgen Rogue

http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Heroraces.jpg?c=1

There's the pic.
Community Manager

There's the pic.

Haha, yup, that's the one. Thank you.

And this is actually a great resource covering the contents of the manuals, just please keep in mind that much of it is now highly inaccurate and the visual style of the Pandaren have changed quite a bit since then.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Pandaren
Edited by Bashiok on 10/26/2011 1:14 AM PDT
85 Draenei Paladin
This is something I want to touch on a bit more. People seem to think that Pandaren were a joke, a throw away easter egg that we never fully intended as a playable race.
It would simply be inaccurate to state that Pandaren were a throw away. Our intent, going back to Warcraft III, when the vast majority of the world lore and story was established for the franchise, was always to have a deep and rich history for a race known as the Pandaren.

Bashiok, the Draenei are in a precarious situation much like the Pandaren. The only trouble is that the Draenei (being double exiles of worlds) did not host a visible rich history.

What worries me is that the Pandaren will further push the noble Draenei from the spotlight, seeing that the two races overlap. Both are spiritual, peaceful, and generous.

I hope we are not viewed as the Pandaren stand-ins from early BC. *Sadness*
Edited by Clovyn on 10/26/2011 11:44 AM PDT
90 Human Warlock
10/26/2011 01:06 AMPosted by Ilthen

So I was right.

Terrifying.

Or at least the very next scene would be...

Well, there's my nightmare fuel for tonight.
85 Worgen Rogue
Eee! A blue quoted me! A Blue quoted me! Oh gosh, is my hair fine? Is my Worgen Grin showin' off enough? Oh man, this is going to be all over mmo champion, too! OHMYGOSH I CAN'T TAKE THIS.

You're welcome.
100 Orc Death Knight
Damn, he draws.

I welcome the Pandaren. I look forward to the brand new lore and the unknown. Pandaria is the first new land we will go to since Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

With people complaining that there was no lore to support Pandaria suddenly being there, I have to wonder if there were people who complained about Night Elves, Tauren, Kalimdor, Northrend and Centaurs.
97 Night Elf Warrior
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I did want to make one comment on:

Blizzard has given the Panderan a rich culture and a specific way of thinking. A history that goes back beyond the sundering with their own struggles and accomplishments. They have an identity beyond "Look, its Pandas."

I will direct you to recall the Warcraft RPG (pen and paper) manuals released in 2003. While much of it hasn't been canon for quite some time, the Pandaren occupy a greater amount of pages and space within the manuals to establish their lore and story than pretty much every other creature on Azeroth. To give it some context, they occupy the same number of pages as Trolls in the Monster Manual, and share the same amount space in the Alliance and Horde Compendium with Orcs or Humans, and just like them ... you guessed it... Pandaren were a playable race.

As I said a lot of this was pre-World of Warcraft, and by whatever stroke of fate, Trolls and Forsaken became playable races and Pandaren, Naga, and Furbolgs did not. Some other mix could have just as easily been true, and no one would have questioned it. Worgen didn't even exist back then, of course, they were a new creation for World of Warcraft.

Thank you for saying this. This so called argument of the Pandaren just being a "joke race" has just made no sense. It's been obvious for almost ten years they were developed into just as much of a race as anything else. The only valid criticism in this respect really is the fact they've barely been mentioned in the actual MMORPG outside of Chen's quest in the Barrens and a beyond the 4th wall pet you could buy.

It's like an infection, this "pandaren were a joke" meme. It's never going to die down, even with Samwise explaining he first drew them as an homage to Lone Wolf and Cub for his daughter, before they were used for an April Fool's joke.
97 Night Elf Warrior

As I said a lot of this was pre-World of Warcraft, and by whatever stroke of fate, Trolls and Forsaken became playable races and Pandaren, Naga, and Furbolgs did not. Some other mix could have just as easily been true, and no one would have questioned it.

Bashiok, the Draenei are in a precarious situation much like the Pandaren. The only trouble is that the Draenei (being double exiles of worlds) did not host alot of rich history.

What worries me is that the Pandaren will further push the noble Draenei from the spotlight, being that we too are spiritual, peaceful, and generous.

I hope we are not viewed as the Pandaren stand-ins from early BC. *Sadness*

When Argus comes, you'll get more than enough attention again I imagine.
90 Human Warlock
Eee! A blue quoted me! A Blue quoted me! Oh gosh, is my hair fine? Is my Worgen Grin showin' off enough? Oh man, this is going to be all over mmo champion, too! OHMYGOSH I CAN'T TAKE THIS.

You're welcome.

Down, boy! Down! Stay!

Good dog.
90 Undead Warlock
10/26/2011 01:12 AMPosted by Elrith
It's like an infection, this "pandaren were a joke" meme. It's never going to die down

I was cured. :)

We will just have to use the vaccine of facts.

I will inject them with words... from my mouth.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]