My honest reaction to the Pandas

88 Undead Warlock
One thing I'd like to point out is that there were a lot of people that thought Cataclysm was going to be the best expansion to date, and it has played out mostly to be the worst of the current three. It was hyped beyond belief, it was delayed (twice I believe), and it was overwhelmingly accepted by the community to be awesome. One month after release and people unanimously hated it. I can't find more than a handful of people that aren't upset with the game right now, and I'm taking our current experiences into account when I say that I'm only buying MoP because my son loves Kung Fu Panda. I won't be playing the game much after I pick up Star Wars, and MoP certainly was not presented to me in such a way that compels me to stay. This coming from a lifelong customer of Blizzard since Warcraft I. I just don't see this game coming back to what made it great. In fact all I see is the game getting easier and easier to the point where nothing is really hard or worth the effort anymore.

I miss the prestige. There is no prestige in the game anymore. Everyone has legendaries. Everyone has heroic kills. Everyone has uber gear. Everyone has the cool mounts/titles. There just really isn't anything that you can do in this game to set yourself apart from other players, because those other players can do the same things you're doing just as easily.
90 Draenei Shaman
RAGE
Edited by Dozekar on 10/26/2011 6:44 AM PDT
85 Draenei Shaman
It seems they're really running out of ideas, but darn it after the whole "Varian gets his badass moment" talk in the Lore Q/A panel. I'm staying!
85 Human Rogue
10/26/2011 12:16 AMPosted by Laider
"I think I might actually be done with WoW."
OH NO!
DON'T LEAVE WOW! Please.... don't leave... SO many people care about you. DO NOT LEAVE WHATEVER YOU DO. Just kidding, shut the !@#$ up
90 Human Rogue
Holy crap... someone who's actually willing to keep an open mind! Laider, I salute you.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
[quote="34243101635"]First is the creative process. The art people and designers have a far more intimate relation to everything in game, in the sense that they need a motivation to do something in this way and not another. (...snip...)

Second, I'm quoting myself here from what I said on my realm's forum. A lot of fantasy franchises have mysterious advanced middle eastern or Asiatic like civilisations at their (far) edges. (...snip...)

Third, and this has to do with the cultures they are trying to draw inspiration from here. The Asiatic cultures are really different from the modern western cultures when it comes to downplaying individuality and valuing humility. (...snip...)

You've actually managed to summarise two elements that I do very much like, and a third which is certainly interesting perspective =)

I totally agree that yet another "here're the demons and undead" expansion would've been tedious both for the designers and for the players. I'm really looking forward to a traditional faction vs faction expansion, and I'm hoping they make it as genuinely dynamic as possible.

There's a reason why the original Warcraft was so successful, and I've got faith that the design team is skilled enough to balance the need to.. well... balance alongside a seesawing factional war. To break free from the last couple of expansions of relentless march towards killing the Big Bad is exactly the sort of shakeup wow needs to keep things fresh.

I also agree completely that the choice of an Asiatic themed area is a logical one, and provides an interesting new opportunity.

Your third point about the meeting of Taoist & Shamanistic cultures is very definitely an interesting one - I hope that spiritual element is something that Bliz does explore. I'm actually one of those who rather liked the Tauren sunwalker plot - it seemed like a very logical and reasonable step for such a spiritually oriented race. Definitely got to wonder what the Earthen Ring would make of a bunch of quasi-Taoists. You're making me curious to do a little further reading on the RL philosophies =)

Honestly, my problem really does come down to the fact that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to perceive a race of humanoid pandas as something other than comical. Exceptional writing may be able to smooth it over, but my honest reaction to the trailer was to first think "what gorgeous scenery" and then to literally burst out loud laughing the moment the Pandaren came on.

To my way of thinking, that's really not a great reaction to have to a serious race that's going to be a permanent fixture on the WoW landscape. And no matter how much I enjoy every other element of MoP, I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to look a Pandaren in the eye without wanting to giggle.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/26/2011 12:25 AMPosted by Taveria
4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGMN-gNfdaY

Epic Win^
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Either you buy MoP or not; Your gonna be stuck at LvL 85 while other players are gonna
LvL to 90 and explore new content.
And when a new expansion comes out in later years, that turns out to be the expansion of your dreams, you'll be stuck grinding your way through old content in MoP, the very thing that made you (socalled)quit WoW in the first place..
Edited by Honeypot on 10/26/2011 7:15 AM PDT
90 Draenei Shaman
10/26/2011 07:05 AMPosted by Lakhesís
Honestly, my problem really does come down to the fact that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to perceive a race of humanoid pandas as something other than comical. Exceptional writing may be able to smooth it over, but my honest reaction to the trailer was to first think "what gorgeous scenery" and then to literally burst out loud laughing the moment the Pandaren came on.

They might be cute and fuzzy, but they're deadly. Just think of all the strength and wisdom they've been able to accumulate, and how easy it is to conceal that behind a silly appearance. Underestimating your enemy gives them so much room to surprise you.

I think an important task for Blizzard is to create individual Pandaren, who are real characters and who have a personal story to tell. We should come to care about them. But character development hasn't been their strong suit so far.
90 Night Elf Druid
Why not Panda's? We already have cows and wolves... I'm waiting for the Thunder Cats of Thundera to be next! Who wouldn't want to play as Lion-O, Cheetara, Panthro, Tygra, WilyKit and WilyKat, and Snarf. lol.......
90 Night Elf Hunter
One of things that really interest me in Warcraft:MoP is PVE scenarios.

PvE Scenarios are a way to give new interesting content that doesn't make sense in a dungeon content.

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/october/pp78.jpg
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/october/pp79.jpg
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/october/pp80.jpg
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/october/pp81.jpg
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/october/pp82.jpg
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/october/pp83.jpg

Scenarios are more about reusing parts of the world in interesting new ways, and introducing new types of PvE gameplay that we've never seen before like PvE battlegrounds.

They are short instances for a few players, the amount of players can vary depending on the scenario, some of them can be for 3 players.

You don't need the typical tank/heal/dps setup, you will just be able to enter and play your role no matter what it is.

It will be a staged experience where you will try to accomplish some greater goal

For example, a scenario might require you to kill 25 kobolds in stage 1, then find and return 4 goldshire children, and then kill the boss.

Developers would like to do PvE battlegrounds, where you will have to slay 50 alliance/horde soldiers, destroy 6 towers and the barracks, and then defeat the enemy General.

They could replace group quests.

It uses the same queue system as the dungeon finder

Since there is no role requirements, queues should be instant.

As a huge fan of Warhammer,Rift and the upcoming Guild Wars 2,I am really glad this is going to be added to Warcraft.
Edited by Pandorä on 10/26/2011 7:22 AM PDT
85 Draenei Hunter
10/26/2011 06:43 AMPosted by Firestyle
I really just want to know what Medivh is up to these days.

He's in Bermuda sipping daiquiris. He's done his part and now gets some well-earned rest. ;)
85 Draenei Paladin
When i saw announcement of MoP I was absolutely amazed, because it reminded me of, in my opinion the best, bonus campaign in Warcarft III, The Founding of Durotar and i remembered, beside Rexxar and Misa and that troll scout you could have a 3ed companion which was Pandarian... so exciting to see the whole race now in WoW!
85 Human Paladin
In the same boat as you bro. Started off hating it but after the panels it got to the point were I was like 'dang I want to try that".

Also, melee healer sounds freaking amazing.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
That's not pee. I'm sorry. I hit killing spree when I get excited.

...It's ok. He probably doesn't have a rez timer. He'll be back.

But why do you want to kill me?? Is it because I'm horde?
I'm not upset for the Panda's, Im upset for the content. I know its early on, but so far the stuff they have named I could do without. I hate the new talents with a passion. They took it from 71 talent points that you could freely spend between 3 trees to you have to just pick a tree and have only 41, to just one tree with 6 talents... Its just not innovative, in fact its the opposite they are making it worse imo.
85 Human Warrior
One thing I'd like to point out is that there were a lot of people that thought Cataclysm was going to be the best expansion to date, and it has played out mostly to be the worst of the current three. It was hyped beyond belief, it was delayed (twice I believe), and it was overwhelmingly accepted by the community to be awesome. One month after release and people unanimously hated it. I can't find more than a handful of people that aren't upset with the game right now, and I'm taking our current experiences into account when I say that I'm only buying MoP because my son loves Kung Fu Panda. I won't be playing the game much after I pick up Star Wars, and MoP certainly was not presented to me in such a way that compels me to stay. This coming from a lifelong customer of Blizzard since Warcraft I. I just don't see this game coming back to what made it great. In fact all I see is the game getting easier and easier to the point where nothing is really hard or worth the effort anymore.

This. serious gamers wont play this at all, only the "angry birds" type of gamer.
to add to my talent rant, at this point I dont even really care anymore... I'm going to play GW2 over WoW anyway so nothing really effects me, just giving a little feedback on what would keep me a little interested.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]