Apology from Mike Morhaime

90 Draenei Priest
It's very nice to see responsibility taken and Blizzard to take the feelings of it's players seriously.

Thank you Blizzard.
90 Draenei Shaman
Dear members of the Blizzard community,

I have read your feedback and comments about this year’s BlizzCon, and I have also read the feedback to the apology from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain. I’d like to respond to some of your feedback here.

As president of Blizzard, I take full responsibility for everything that occurs at BlizzCon.

It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games. Doing so was an error in judgment, and we regret it.

The bottom line is we deeply apologize for our mistakes and for hurting or offending anyone. We want you to have fun at our events, and we want everyone to feel welcome. We’re proud to be part of a huge and diverse community, and I am proud that so many aspects of the community are represented within Blizzard itself.

As a leader of Blizzard, and a member of the band, I truly hope you will accept my humblest apology.

– Mike Morhaime
President, Blizzard Entertainment

Is there going to be any punitive action for this? Samwise Didier should face some kind of reprimand from this
100 Night Elf Druid
I LOVE YOU MIKE!
100 Night Elf Druid
10/27/2011 07:33 PMPosted by Lemuria
Is there going to be any punitive action for this? Samwise Didier should face some kind of reprimand from this

I think that will be more of an internal matter not for forums. Although maybe they make him play only Alliance now. (yes that is a joke- i would never force someone to play what they do not wish to play)

That is not something that I feel I need to know.
100 Human Mage
Didn't care so much about the gay community with regards to this, but being told to Die etc. Regardless, that's a sincere apology - yay!
100 Tauren Druid
I was watching on the 'net. I admit I was a bit taken aback by the clip. I was sort of cringing just from how harsh his comments were. I had never seen the full clip, so I didn't know the greater context.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it ruined the event. It was great.

I'm certain it was intended just to be a funny clip. To the extent that it matters, the apology is accepted by at least one member of the community presumed to be offended.
85 Draenei Mage

And it's none of our business. Take the apology. Let them handle any reprimand internally. We do not need to know every detail to accept the apology.
100 Tauren Druid

What? No way. It was a mistake. It was well intended, and at worst poorly considered. Appropriate apologies have been offered. Now the community needs to let it go.
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Dear members of the Blizzard community,

I have read your feedback and comments about this year’s BlizzCon, and I have also read the feedback to the apology from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain. I’d like to respond to some of your feedback here.

As president of Blizzard, I take full responsibility for everything that occurs at BlizzCon.

It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games. Doing so was an error in judgment, and we regret it.

The bottom line is we deeply apologize for our mistakes and for hurting or offending anyone. We want you to have fun at our events, and we want everyone to feel welcome. We’re proud to be part of a huge and diverse community, and I am proud that so many aspects of the community are represented within Blizzard itself.

As a leader of Blizzard, and a member of the band, I truly hope you will accept my humblest apology.

– Mike Morhaime
President, Blizzard Entertainment

They acknowledged their mistake and that's enough. Who knows who's decision it was anyways. They apologized and I call that a good start. Just need to follow-thru with updating those policies because it isn't the first time Blizzard had their bad run-ins with the GLBTQ community (remember that gay-friendly guild back in vanilla?)... so this isn't the first but I do hope this is the last guys. I really do because I enjoy these games but I also vote with my money as well...

At least the answer to the "GLBTQ storyline" possibility was a bit more encouraging this year...it's just a shame that this nasty incident followed it.

But no...no one needs to be fired over this after they have apologized...especially no one as talented as Samwise.
12 Gnome Mage
Thank you, sir. While I was personally not offended by the video, I did find it being shown even in a censored form to be in poor taste. I sincerely hope that a lesson has truly been learned from this event.
100 Blood Elf Warlock

Mike Morhaime is just as much a member of L90ETC as he is, and in the apology he clearly stated that he is taking full responsibility for allowing it to happen.

I never hold grudges in the first place, and the apology from the band as a whole was good enough for me, but I'm glad to see another, more thoughtful and detailed apology given as well.

I see no need to be vindictive or demand some sort of punishment or retribution. Chalk it up as a learning experience and do better in the future. That's all that needs to be done.
85 Night Elf Mage
10/27/2011 07:37 PMPosted by Lemuria

I think that will be more of an internal matter not for forums. Although maybe they make him play only Alliance now. (yes that is a joke- i would never force someone to play what they do not wish to play)

I was thinking more of termination or at the very least demotion. Having someone like this run the name of your company through dirt is not good for business

Regardless, it's something that will happen within the company.

While I wasn't at all offended from the beginning (that video with the guy is as old as dirt) it is nice to see even the president of Blizz responding. You can't get that with many other companies.
85 Night Elf Druid
Thanks. Water under the bridge now. Hopefully things like this won't happen at future events.
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Dear Blizzard Forum Moderators,

With the release of the formal apology from Blizzard Grand High Poo-Bah, could you please put an eraser to the massive amount of repeat threads clogging up the forums?

Now they got what they wanted, can we just hit ctrl-a and delete?

Sincerely,
A Fed Up Death Knight
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]