Apology from Mike Morhaime

85 Human Mage
When the president of a company publicly accepts full responsibility for an incident such as this, the entire company takes notice. This ugly experience will become a learning opportunity for Blizzard.

I'm sure it will not happen again.

Apology accepted gratefully.
Edited by Malynn on 10/28/2011 5:10 PM PDT
1 Undead Warlock
As an Ally, this whole thing made me think that there is something to all the claims of horde favortism. You guys owned up to it and apologize for that you have my respect, but I need to see it never happens again and you treat players of both factions with equal respect. None of this alliance are sissies or the joke "we'll keep trying" ally slogan, it gotten old a long time ago.

Yes, when you bash the alliance it's in a spirit of a joke but we're usually on the butt of it, and I'm frankly kind of tired of it. I can't remember the last time I felt like a badass for being an ally.
As a member of the horde, I don't need to feel like a "badass". If you need for them to tell you it's okay to be a "badass" then you're doing it wrong. Look at Garrosh. Everybody hates him. I love him, but that's beside the point. Varian is a badass. Jaina is a badass. Blizzard doesn't have to treat any faction that they created however they don't want to. People need to stop living in the game. And separate rl and wow.
1 Undead Warlock
When the president of a company publicly accepts full responsibility for an incident such as this, the entire company takes notice. This ugly experience will become a learning opportunity for Blizzard.

I'm sure it will not happen again.

Apology accepted gratefully.
And now the community needs to pick itself up and stop looking for wrong in everything. But I'm sure that won't happen again either.
85 Draenei Paladin
Thank you for this. This apology reads as much more sincere.
90 Worgen Druid
This is why one of my most cherished memories from Blizzcon 2010 was meeting Mike Morhaime. He's a really awesome guy.

I appreciate this gesture, because it seems more than just a regurgitated apology. If nothing else, the events that conspired at least brought some people together in discussions that might not have otherwise.

I agree, I hope I get to feel more like a badass for choosing to be Alliance eventually. For now, though, I am very happy to read this. Thanks for taking the time to read our posts.

Glory to the Alliance!
Thank you very much Mike and everyone else at Blizz. This is a perfect apology and I, for one, appreciate it deeply. :)

Keep being awesome Blizzard! You have a fairly rabid fangirl in ME! Now TAKE MY MONEY - ALL OF IT! XD I want my Dwarf Monk SO BAD.
58 Undead Death Knight
10/27/2011 10:41 PMPosted by Mezilrin
Anyway, I'm posting this NOT to make fun of people who get easily offended!! I'm posting this because I just want everyone to know that NOT ALL GAY PEOPLE were offended. Some of us did find it amusing.

And not all of us who found it offensive were gay. Nor were we all alliance.

Yeah, I understand that. Touching upon the Allies always getting slammed at Blizcon (A separate issue that some people have. Some people got offended simply because they feel it's bad business to alienate one half of the playerbase, time and time again. A valid concern, but I really doubt anyone would quit over that. (Though it MAY cause some Allies to re-think Blizcon)

Then theres people that got offended simply because there were (censored) curse words because there were children watching. (Ignoring the "slurs" for a moment). But....if I recall correctly, Chris Metzen drops the F-Bomb quite often at times there, and so have others in the past.

Look, just stop fighting everything! lol. Life is wayyyy too short for "causes". Just have fun, drink, laugh, be merry. W/e.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Wait, isn't Corpsegrinder the dude in the Alliance hoodie? He was insulting himself from what I watched. Not really sure how that can be deemed offensive.
88 Draenei Shaman
10/27/2011 10:47 PMPosted by Juller
He isn't "slurring against gay people" for one. People are trying to make him a target. And the video shown at blizzcon had no such content. People want to fill in the blanks and make it something it is not. The original video was all about faction pride. Raw? Yes. But people passing judgement and pretending they know someone's intent is sickening. And wrong.

According to Blizzard's official apology at the start of this thread, he is. And really at this moment, Blizzard's opinion is what counts. :)

The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games.
90 Troll Druid
10/27/2011 10:45 PMPosted by Juller
There is a massive difference between saying something in a fun and light hearted manner, and a sinister, literal manner. And if people don't want to see that difference, then they need to wake up. So while finding offense in hatred is one thing, the thing at blizzcon is completely the opposite. I find it deplorable that people's ignorance twists this into anything hate related.

Hello person who has to hide their character so they can troll the post. Again, as I've said before, you were okay with what he said. A great many people were not. Their opinion is not less valid than yours because you think you're special.

Honestly his talk reminded me of many of the lfg groups i've had to drop while tanking. I don't appreciate being told "pull faster you f@!" when I'm waiting for the healer to have more than 10% mana. You may not find that offensive, but I do. So I report them and leave. And yes, I do report behavior against the Terms of Use. That's what they're there for. It is entirely your right to not be offended. It is entirely my right to be offended.

I really do think all the people here who are OFFENDED at the idea of an apology are being a bit insecure. I guess it really would be too much for you all to admit that language can and does hurt people.
1 Undead Warlock
10/27/2011 09:40 PMPosted by Sobralia
Whooooaaaaa, wait a minute. Gay, by definition, used to mean HAPPY not homosexual. It has changed to mean homosexual over the last couple of decades.

Actually not, it has had this meaning for at least a century.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=gay
No, actually it is. Does guns not mean "a firearm" because people use it to describe their biceps?
88 Draenei Shaman
10/27/2011 10:56 PMPosted by Xanlard
Wait, isn't Corpsegrinder the dude in the Alliance hoodie? He was insulting himself from what I watched. Not really sure how that can be deemed offensive.

Nope! That was Chris M.! (Who rocks.) Corpsegrinder is the guy who was shown in the censored video during the closing concert.
90 Night Elf Hunter
10/27/2011 10:54 PMPosted by Gabar
Look, just stop fighting everything! lol. Life is wayyyy too short for "causes". Just have fun, drink, laugh, be merry. W/e.

You do know the ending of that quote, don't you?

Which I suppose is appropriate in the World. . . of Warcraft!
58 Undead Death Knight

isnt it, "for tomorrow we may all die?" Or am I thinking of another quote?
1 Undead Warlock
10/27/2011 10:56 PMPosted by Mezilrin
There is a massive difference between saying something in a fun and light hearted manner, and a sinister, literal manner. And if people don't want to see that difference, then they need to wake up. So while finding offense in hatred is one thing, the thing at blizzcon is completely the opposite. I find it deplorable that people's ignorance twists this into anything hate related.

Hello person who has to hide their character so they can troll the post. Again, as I've said before, you were okay with what he said. A great many people were not. Their opinion is not less valid than yours because you think you're special.

Honestly his talk reminded me of many of the lfg groups i've had to drop while tanking. I don't appreciate being told "pull faster you f@!" when I'm waiting for the healer to have more than 10% mana. You may not find that offensive, but I do. So I report them and leave. And yes, I do report behavior against the Terms of Use. That's what they're there for. It is entirely your right to not be offended. It is entirely my right to be offended.

I really do think all the people here who are OFFENDED at the idea of an apology are being a bit insecure. I guess it really would be too much for you all to admit that language can and does hurt people.
And people that get offended easily are just as insecure. Secure people don't let everything anyone says hurt them. Words can hurt yes. But we all know the truth behind that vid. And "trolling"? Nah. Just saying what's on my mind.
90 Dwarf Paladin
(Ignoring the "slurs" for a moment

But that's it, right there.

Oh and to compare it to standup comedy? At least I know what I'm getting if I do go see a standup comedian like Lisa Lampanelli.
88 Draenei Shaman

I think so, because that would be amazing.

"Just have fun, drink, laugh, be merry, for tomorrow, we may all die! (Until we get mass rez, of course. Man, Freddie, can you help us run our 5-mans so we can get that perk already? I'm tired of corpse runs!)"
90 Troll Druid

And not all of us who found it offensive were gay. Nor were we all alliance.

Yeah, I understand that. Touching upon the Allies always getting slammed at Blizcon (A separate issue that some people have. Some people got offended simply because they feel it's bad business to alienate one half of the playerbase, time and time again. A valid concern, but I really doubt anyone would quit over that. (Though it MAY cause some Allies to re-think Blizcon)

Then theres people that got offended simply because there were (censored) curse words because there were children watching. (Ignoring the "slurs" for a moment). But....if I recall correctly, Chris Metzen drops the F-Bomb quite often at times there, and so have others in the past.

That'd be nice. I approve of the apology and accept it. I'm just baffled why people are offended by the very idea of an apology.

And I use the F-bomb as you put it fairly often myself, and honestly have no problem with it. My problem was entirely the slurs.

It still is that most of the people that were offended are accepting this apology if you look through the posts. It's the people that insist we're somehow LESSER than them and are not entitled to any opinion different from theirs that are causing the big stink.
90 Night Elf Hunter

Yep :)

Edit: Though it's more like I shall die any minute when it's raid night.
Edited by Ryaskybird on 10/27/2011 11:03 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]