Apology from Mike Morhaime

90 Human Death Knight
As an Ally, this whole thing made me think that there is something to all the claims of horde favortism. You guys owned up to it and apologize for that you have my respect, but I need to see it never happens again and you treat players of both factions with equal respect. None of this alliance are sissies or the joke "we'll keep trying" ally slogan, it gotten old a long time ago.

Yes, when you bash the alliance it's in a spirit of a joke but we're usually on the butt of it, and I'm frankly kind of tired of it. I can't remember the last time I felt like a badass for being an ally.
As a member of the horde, I don't need to feel like a "badass". If you need for them to tell you it's okay to be a "badass" then you're doing it wrong. Look at Garrosh. Everybody hates him. I love him, but that's beside the point. Varian is a badass. Jaina is a badass. Blizzard doesn't have to treat any faction that they created however they don't want to. People need to stop living in the game. And separate rl and wow.

That "it's only a game" excuse is really played out, but there some legitimacy in the sense that we shouldn't take it so seriously. However, there is more to it than that.

No one likes being the butt of a joke in game or in real life. When a joke is made about someone, usually that person will be a good sport about it. However, when it goes on for years these little jabs stop being fun and you can't help to take offence especially when it's done mostly to you.

Also, I don't want to feel like a loser for choosing the wrong faction in a game that I pay for either.

i'm just asking that blizzard makes fun of the horde once in a while and give the alliance some love.
Edited by Ceberus on 10/27/2011 11:04 PM PDT
58 Undead Death Knight
10/27/2011 10:59 PMPosted by Dreamraven
So why was the apology even needed? This just proves thaat whining and crying will get you what you want. I wonder what the next topic that brings all the qq will be.

I do admit that lately the forum posters are taking up 'causes' en masse, one after another. It never used to be THAT bad.

I honestly don't blame Bliz. As with everything else in this game, I blame the playerbase. I think we can all agree that this is one of THE MOST cutthroat, cranky, and just all-around grouchy fanbase I EVER been a part of, and it's getting worse.

The Howard Stern messageboards over at sternfannetwork are not half as bad as this, and they dont even have censoring over there. THATS saying something!

90 Troll Druid
10/27/2011 11:00 PMPosted by Juller
And people that get offended easily are just as insecure. Secure people don't let everything anyone says hurt them. Words can hurt yes. But we all know the truth behind that vid. And "trolling"? Nah. Just saying what's on my mind.

I wasn't hurt personally. I'm a horde player. I'm not a lesbian.

But I couldn't sleep at night if I only said "hey that's wrong!" to things that personally affect me.

The truth behind the vid? Was that it was in poor taste to show it at all, as the apology states.

And if you're not hiding let's see you post on something other than a level 1 sockpuppet. Perhaps it's that you know you're being rude saying people can't feel offended and feel the need to hide.
1 Undead Warlock
As a member of the horde, I don't need to feel like a "badass". If you need for them to tell you it's okay to be a "badass" then you're doing it wrong. Look at Garrosh. Everybody hates him. I love him, but that's beside the point. Varian is a badass. Jaina is a badass. Blizzard doesn't have to treat any faction that they created however they don't want to. People need to stop living in the game. And separate rl and wow.

That "it's only a game excuse" is really played out, but there some legitimacy in the sense that we shouldn't take it so seriously. However, there is more to it than that.

No one likes being the butt of a joke in game or in real life. When a joke is made about someone, usually that person will be a good sport about it. However, when it goes on for years these little jabs stop being fun and you can't help to take offence especially when it's done mostly to you.

Also, I don't want to feel like a loser for choosing the wrong faction in a game that I pay for either.

i'm just asking that blizzard makes fun of the horde once in a while and give the alliance some love.
Why would you feel like a loser for choosing a certain faction?
I think that it was a thoughtful sincere apology, I personally just hope going forward Blizzard (not players of WoW so much but Blizzard) takes a more faction neutral stance. I love what Bashiok said:

"I'm not a Horde player and I'm not an Alliance player....I'm a WoW player."

That right there should be the mantra of every Blizzard employee.
Edited by Jadden on 10/27/2011 11:05 PM PDT
90 Dwarf Paladin
10/27/2011 11:02 PMPosted by Gabar
So why was the apology even needed? This just proves thaat whining and crying will get you what you want. I wonder what the next topic that brings all the qq will be.

I do admit that lately the forum posters are taking up 'causes' en masse, one after another. It never used to be THAT bad.

I honestly don't blame Bliz. As with everything else in this game, I blame the playerbase. I think we can all agree that this is one of THE MOST cutthroat, cranky, and just all-around grouchy fanbase I EVER been a part of, and it's getting worse.

The Howard Stern messageboards over at sternfannetwork are not half as bad as this, and they dont even have censoring over there. THATS saying something!

Blizzard did the right thing by apologizing about the incident that happened at their company's most important event. This did not happen at any of the Blizzard messageboards/forums. It happened at a live, corporate event which represented the company. Such a thing should have been screened and approved by the higher ups. And if it did pass the higher ups approval, what does that say about the company as a whole?

Say the exact incident happened at one of Microsoft's product launches. Would it be wrong for them to dismiss the whole thing until it blows over?
58 Undead Death Knight
I think that it was a thoughtful sincere apology, I personally just hope going forward Blizzard (not players of WoW so much but Blizzard) takes a more faction neutral stance

Save this post to see if I am correct. I am willing to stake my reputation that after MoP, we may not even see this game being faction-based anymore!

The Pandarin seems to me like a baby-step that Bliz is trying out. According to Metzen, the faction war is gunna be the worst it ever has been, with the Pandas showing both sides a little something about themselves. Could Allies and Horde find peace after this expansion?

All I'm saying is, NOTHING Bliz does would ever surprise me. Also, the way the factions are SO separate is kinda an old model at this point. Something is gunna drastically change after MoP. I just have a feeling.
Edited by Gabar on 10/27/2011 11:10 PM PDT
1 Undead Warlock
And people that get offended easily are just as insecure. Secure people don't let everything anyone says hurt them. Words can hurt yes. But we all know the truth behind that vid. And "trolling"? Nah. Just saying what's on my mind.

I wasn't hurt personally. I'm a horde player. I'm not a lesbian.

But I couldn't sleep at night if I only said "hey that's wrong!" to things that personally affect me.

The truth behind the vid? Was that it was in poor taste to show it at all, as the apology states.

And if you're not hiding let's see you post on something other than a level 1 sockpuppet. Perhaps it's that you know you're being rude saying people can't feel offended and feel the need to hide.
How am I any more rude? It's rude to intentionally misinterpret people's intent. And speak for their beliefs. And the "or are you hiding" thing won't work. I'm secure enough to take it. But we're all behind our avatars. Nobody will ever know who you are either.

And I'm not having my words and intent twisted around either. Now that I can see it obviously happens.
Edited by Juller on 10/27/2011 11:18 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I never saw this as a real issue, but I am also a dedicated Horde player. /salute to Mr. Morhaime for acknowledging a segment of the Public's frustration about the Chieftain's presentation.
90 Human Death Knight

That "it's only a game excuse" is really played out, but there some legitimacy in the sense that we shouldn't take it so seriously. However, there is more to it than that.

Because Blizzard always likes to make little jokes about the alliance, and what's going on in the game is almost lop sided for the horde, like in cata we took one camp in the barrens while the allies lost a bunch of ground, yes most of that is due Garrosh's over zealousness, but where was Virian? didn't he even try to retaliate? Also, did you look at our racial line up? we got worgen with a cold they can't seem to get rid of, boring humans (only thing they have going is the fact that most gear looks good on them), space goats, night elves, tiny drunken vikings (a cool but under played race), and smaller techno midgets who soul purpose to exist is to allow us make gnome punting jokes. And there is the horde who's only lame race is the overly feminine blood elves.
Edited by Ceberus on 10/27/2011 11:27 PM PDT
90 Human Mage
Thanks for the apology. I am alliance but didn't really take it as a serious issue until after hearing about some jerks running around causing trouble for alliance players and realized that stuff said in jest has a way of working up an unintended fervor and going in a harmful direction that wasn't intended.
1 Undead Warlock

Because Blizzard always likes to make little jokes about the alliance, and what's going on is almost lop sided for the horde, like in cats we took one camp in the barrens while the allies lost a bunch of ground, yes most of that is due Garrosh's over zealousness, but where was Virian? didn't he even try to retaliate? Also, did you look at our racial line up? we got worgen, with a cold they can't seem to get rid of, boring humans, space goats, night elves, tiny drunken vikings (a cool but under played race), and smaller techno midgets. And there is the horde who's only lame race is the overly feminine blood elves.
Did you read wolfheart? Varian is going to be a major ba. He almost kills Garrosh. And who knows, he may in MoP. But the horde has goblins, which are worse than gnomes, blood elfs and mancows, and smelly undead.
58 Undead Death Knight
Hey Mike u dont have to apologize :/ ... anyway's Alliance sucks big time so stop whining u little punks

I agree, we do suck. (My main is Alliance)

Am I the only Alliance player though that LIKES that we are downtrodden, beaten-down, etc? Am I the only one that things theres a romantic aspect about being the underdog fighting tooth and nail to gain respect (and land)?

I wouldn't always wanna be on top and be unbeatable, because that gets dull REAL fast.

(Then again, my fav fantasy stories are post-apocalyptic themes, like Dragonlance. (Who had a Cataclysm all their own), with unlikely "heros" trying to rebuild their land and their livelihood. So I kinda like the whole idea that we're seen the way we are.

Am I crazy? lol
Edited by Gabar on 10/27/2011 11:23 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
I can't help but think that this was a test to see bow much complaining is needed before they get what they want. Now the question is, what "cause" will be next? Should they combine horde and alliance into a new universal faction so there will never be another remark by anyone? The fact that this was blown out of proportion until an apology was given makes me wonder if I should play a game with so many immature players.
84 Troll Priest

Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it is the only thing.
Albert Schweitzer

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, concerned citizens can change world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead
88 Draenei Shaman
10/27/2011 11:23 PMPosted by Dreamraven
I can't help but think that this was a test to see bow much complaining is needed before they get what they want. Now the question is, what "cause" will be next? Should they combine horde and alliance into a new universal faction so there will never be another remark by anyone? The fact that this was blown out of proportion until an apology was given makes me wonder if I should play a game with so many immature players.

You can think that, but I do know some people who were personally very annoyed and offended by the slurs referenced in the first post! :)

Although, I'm an optimist who doesn't like to think that people on the forums are mobilized as a complaining army trying to force Blizzard to cave on things.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, concerned citizens can change world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

What a lovely quote!

Edit: I'm trying not to spam the thread, which is why I keep editing this post... but guys, the majority of people who were upset over this issue aren't upset about the whole Horde-Alliance thing. That's a separate issue. Blizzard has acknowledged that, which makes me grateful. Just saying. :)
Edited by Zûldin on 10/27/2011 11:32 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]