Apology from Mike Morhaime

88 Draenei Shaman
Thanks for the apology. I wasn't personally offended, but I know those who were and this means a lot to them.

To everyone trying to pick a fight here by criticizing those who were offended: Please, let it go. Sometimes, people are offended by things that we don't find offensive. Can we agree not to call names and to respect their right to have feelings? The president of Blizzard did it. People who are coming into this thread and saying how the apology wasn't needed are not only making themselves look bad (this is my subjective opinion, and I acknowledge that others might disagree), but they're prolonging this whole ordeal. If you think this whole ordeal is a waste of time, why are you dragging it out?

The president of Blizzard apparently thinks it's worth apologizing for. Even if you disagree, the more you disagree here, the longer you're dragging it out. I've read the first four pages of this thread, and only two people have QQ'd and not accepted the apology. Since the offended side is now happy, and the president has thought it best to apologize... can we please stop talking about this?
90 Dwarf Warrior
10/27/2011 07:48 PMPosted by Hronah
Wanting an apology for something that wasn't there? To persist and insist that you're right, and to stretch and bend the facts to fit an agenda? Yeah. That falls right in that category

What do you mean "wasn't there"? Obviously there was something shown that offended people, whether or not they intended to do so. Simply because these people were upset because they felt "singled out" doesn't mean that they are trying to fill and agenda.

And trust me, I think the magnitude of the outcry was a bit over the top, but I can understand why people took offense and wanted an apology. But likening it to a witch hunt? On a video game forum. That's just stupid...

I think most people here are quite satisfied with being apologized to.
90 Tauren Druid
Pardon my skepticism, but I find it difficult to shrug off an intolerant tirade as an "error in judgement". That's a cop out. NOT dropping slurs such as those used the offending video is standard practice in any business in this country, and how any of you, presumed paragons of the video game industry, were stupid enough to let this happen is completely beyond me. Presumably there are rules which prohibit such language between Blizzard employees. Apparently, extending the same courtesy to your customer base is not a priority.

Furthermore, I think it prudent to point out that were Sam Didier working in any other position at any other company in the world, he would have been fired in a heartbeat. I could only imagine the swift dismissal any one of us would receive were we to be seen next some homunculus putz who brazenly insults the greater portion of our employers' customers.

I'm not demanding anyone's job, but this is a template, soulless, corporate apology if I've ever read one in my life.

I'm confused. Why would Sam Didier be fired? He wasn't the one saying the stuff in the video. The video is from an interview Corpsegrinder (George Fisher) did with some magazine or something.

As far as Blizzard's intent. Someone thought showing the clip would be funny. That was arguably poor judgement. Did I miss something?
90 Troll Druid
I find it ungodly sad that some people get so sensitive over this kind of stuff that it requires direct action from Mike Morhaime himself. That's ridiculous.

As one might say; grow thicker skin. If something done as a pure joke rustles your jimmies so badly, read a book. You can't get angry at books.

"IF I'm not offended, you shouldn't be either, therefore your feelings aren't valid!" is not a response. The response to a good apology like this is "thanks."
90 Human Hunter
Always a class act Mr. Morheim. Glad you're in charge! This is what I call a sincere apology.

/tip the hat
73 Gnome Mage
Thank you so much, Mr. Morhaime, for both your sincere apology and understanding of the true heart of the issue. Also, for restoring my faith in Blizzard as a company.

/hugs and runs before she gets punted

/now seriously considering yet another account
90 Night Elf Druid
While an official apology is appreciated, apologies are empty unless they are accompanied with an attempt at remediation. In this case, an effort to change the attitudes that considered that video acceptable.
Thanks Mike, this is a great apology and all I was really hoping to hear from Blizz co. I really appreciate it.
1 Human Hunter
Dangit had hope for a helicopter,picnic basket, a couple eggs, some hotwheels and some bananas

but this is fine

Thank you. Now we can move on.

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Now, that's a proper apology.

Well done.
85 Human Paladin
Mike Morhaime for Maximum Leader.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Steers and <snip>. Glad the Horde only has the first one.

Oh hello there. I only play Horde. Also, as gay as the day is long. <3
Edited by Scrinshee on 10/27/2011 8:01 PM PDT
85 Orc Warrior
Meh. As a 6 year alliance fanboy I really wish people would lighten up. I was there and I thought it was funny. Might as well go censor garrosh's speech to sylvanas now, seeing as how the word "!@#$%" can be seen as sexist by .05% of the wow population.
10/27/2011 07:58 PMPosted by Arilith
While an official apology is appreciated, apologies are empty unless they are accompanied with an attempt at remediation. In this case, an effort to change the attitudes that considered that video acceptable.

I think this is a huge step in the right direction. Not only is it a great apology but it's a step in the right direction and will hopefully be an example for the rest of WoW population. Given some of the other behavior at blizzcon, it needed to be done.
Edited by Alona on 10/27/2011 8:01 PM PDT
85 Draenei Priest
Pardon my skepticism, but I find it difficult to shrug off an intolerant tirade as an "error in judgement". That's a cop out. NOT dropping slurs such as those used the offending video is standard practice in any business in this country, and how any of you, presumed paragons of the video game industry, were stupid enough to let this happen is completely beyond me. Presumably there are rules which prohibit such language between Blizzard employees. Apparently, extending the same courtesy to your customer base is not a priority.

Furthermore, I think it prudent to point out that were Sam Didier working in any other position at any other company in the world, he would have been fired in a heartbeat. I could only imagine the swift dismissal any one of us would receive were we to be seen next some homunculus putz who brazenly insults the greater portion of our employers' customers.

I'm not demanding anyone's job, but this is a template, soulless, corporate apology if I've ever read one in my life.

Some people are just never happy.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]