Apology from Mike Morhaime

100 Night Elf Druid
10/27/2011 07:55 PMPosted by Coleslaw
Words can't hurt

Oh yes they can. Kids have committed sucide because of words. Its called Bullying.....
Anyone who doesn't understand why it was offensive doesn't deserve to have it explained to them. Do you really not see how being gay, and then seeing someone use "gay" as an ugly insult to someone, is hurtful? If you're genuinely that unable to empathize with other human beings, you probably shouldn't be playing a multiplayer online game to begin with.
I am a part of the GLBT crowd. And I laughed. Does that mean I am evil?
10/27/2011 07:52 PMPosted by Grunbold
Seriously, people who actually took the corpsegrinder interview seriously need to stop playing games, and go read some books.

Because books are dry and boring!

100 Worgen Hunter

I never hold grudges in the first place, and the apology from the band as a whole was good enough for me, but I'm glad to see another, more thoughtful and detailed apology given as well.

This, I will say this has done a good deal to renew my faith in Blizzard. Thank you, as an Alliance player since 2006, and ally of GLBT people.
100 Troll Druid
Thank you. This apology means a lot. Gamer culture sadly often suffers from extreme homophobia, and it means a lot when an industry leader like Blizzard owns up to their mistake on that front.
55 Dwarf Death Knight
Steers and <snip>. Glad the Horde only has the first one.

Oh hello there. I only play Horde. Also, as gay as the day is long. <3

Ha ha <3

85 Orc Rogue
10/27/2011 07:45 PMPosted by Grunbold
As one might say; grow thicker skin. If something done as a pure joke rustles your jimmies so badly, read a book. You can't get angry at books.

*guffaws* Then you're reading the wrong books! I can think of at least half a dozen offhand that make lots of people red-faced from rage.

On a more serious note, I'm thrilled that the leadership at Blizzard followed the discussion and came away with a clearer understanding of the issue. Blizzard got it; obviously some of the rest of you have some catching up to do on why this issue was important to so many of us.
90 Night Elf Druid
As a generally satisfied customer of your game for near on seven years, I appreciate the apology. I wasn't so much 'offended' as dumbfounded as to who thought showing the video was a good idea. :P

Now, that said, GET BACK TO WORK!!! :D The sooner we get our pandas, the sooner we'll have forgotten this whole debacle.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This whole situation kind of sickens me, people are far to weak if words like those that weren't even in the actual video shown at blizzcon offend you to such a degree that the president of blizzard needs to appologize.

In the famous words of the daresticks commercial "Hey!, Get Over it"
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you.
I can see some people getting offended by the video, sure. But enough to demand an apology?

Even if I were a guy who only played alliance, or were homosexual, I honestly didn't see anything offensive in the video. Sure language was, and corpsegrinder was over the top in his ranting and defacing of the alliance, but even if the shoe was on other foot, I really don't see anything to get so many feathers ruffled over.

It's just the kind of things people like to cry over, it would be like Garrosh being seen as a black stereotype or something. It just, really doesn't work. A guy having his fun in an interview, said interview being shown as a joke, all of that; it's all in good fun. If it offends you that much, how will you ever raise children? I tell my kids to ignore it if it invokes any kind of feelings you don't like, just forget about it.

Although I will go ahead and say it: Mike Morhaime for emprah of mankind.
85 Troll Priest
Dear members of the Blizzard community,

I have read your feedback and comments about this year’s BlizzCon, and I have also read the feedback to the apology from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain. I’d like to respond to some of your feedback here.

As president of Blizzard, I take full responsibility for everything that occurs at BlizzCon.

It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games. Doing so was an error in judgment, and we regret it.

The bottom line is we deeply apologize for our mistakes and for hurting or offending anyone. We want you to have fun at our events, and we want everyone to feel welcome. We’re proud to be part of a huge and diverse community, and I am proud that so many aspects of the community are represented within Blizzard itself.

As a leader of Blizzard, and a member of the band, I truly hope you will accept my humblest apology.

– Mike Morhaime
President, Blizzard Entertainment

Thank you.

As one of the people who was complaining about this mainly on the grounds of the homophobic language used, this apology is all I really needed. I just need to know that if I'm going to give my money to a company it recognises that using homophobic language to insult others is not okay. Although I love your products it would have felt wrong to support you financially if I felt that what was expressed in that video was in any way officially endorsed by Blizzard. I would have been sad to cancel my sub to WoW and have to forego playing Diablo III because of this - but I feel that, without recognition of this problem by Blizzard, I would have had to.

This apology directly addressed the issue for me in a way that the band's earlier apology didn't - and I truly appreciate it.

Whole-heartedly and unequivicobaly accepted. Now hopefully everyone involved can get back to work on the games I, and many other LGBT players, love. Roll on DIII and MoP.
I like that every post in this thread goes two ways:

1) "I appreciate this apology."

2) "this has absolutely nothing to do with me and I'm just mad you apologized to people who were upset even though I wasn't and it doesn't hurt me one bit for you to apologize. I don't understand that opinions and life experiences are different, but the next time you nerf my class I'll be back here crying and wondering why nobody is agreeing with me."
Edited by Alona on 10/27/2011 8:09 PM PDT
56 Blood Elf Death Knight
I appreciate the gesture, and I will take this as a promise in good faith to be more careful next time.

As for whether it will be as welcoming in game, well...I'll just have to wait and see.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)