Apology from Mike Morhaime

85 Dwarf Hunter
I'm not part of the GLBT community, so I can't accept this apology on their behalf. Hopefully it satisfies them.

Now where's the apology for (repeatedly, over the course of several BlizzCons) insulting and demeaning half of your player-base? I saw no hint of such in your apology, Mr. Morhaime. So did you only apologize because of the pressures of Political Correctness?

I guess I can assume that such an apology was implied-- but in that case, I can only watch and see if it impacts the way Blizz's Devs and other leaders act in the future. I certainly hope there is a sincere change, and that we Alliance players won't be the butt of your company's jokes any longer.

100 Blood Elf Death Knight
/salute

That, good sir, is what needed to be said from the start.

Apology accepted.
100 Tauren Druid
Not good enough. Imagine if this had happened elsewhere in the business world - at a shareholders' meeting for Microsoft or Sony, say. Either the person caught on camera spewing homophobic slurs would be fired, or the supervisor that let it happen, or both.

But, since this is the gaming industry, where sexually insecure fratboys and poser metal nerds rule, we get a lame non-apology followed by a slightly less lame "I apologize, but we're not doing anything about it." Cowards.

The guy spewing homophobic slurs doesn't work for Blizzard. Unless I missed something.
90 Dwarf Warrior
10/27/2011 08:08 PMPosted by Alona
2) "this has absolutely nothing to do with me and I'm just mad you apologized to people who were upset even though I wasn't and it doesn't hurt me one bit for you to apologize. I don't understand that opinions and life experiences are different, but the next time you nerf my class I'll be back here crying and wondering why nobody is agreeing with me."

QFT.

It's an apology to the people who were upset... If you weren't upset by the video, why are you even here? And more importantly, why do you care?
100 Blood Elf Priest
10/27/2011 07:50 PMPosted by Hronah
Nobody likes to be misunderstood. And maybe one day, you'll see that. And how wrong it is.

QFT. The apology was very well done and it was necessary to diffuse this issue. A lot of us couldn't believe that you let forum riot instigators make up stories, blatant half-truths and just fan the flames of the forum. People took the intent of the clip and turned it around into their own agenda.

That's all it was, an angry street mob who had no idea why they were rioting.

I'm sorry the Blizzard president had to even write this apology. Several apologies were already written. The pseudo-offended righteously indignant people who weren't even at Blizzcon nor seen what happened decided it wasn't enough. The instigators weren't about to give up all this fun and let the flamefest die.

Well, hopefully this is the hallowed bucket that puts out this headless mob's fire. Appropriate timing.

Now go back to playing the game.

10/27/2011 08:01 PMPosted by Ayrthrina
Words can't hurt

Oh yes they can. Kids have committed sucide because of words. Its called Bullying.....

Well then, keep a better eye on your children, teach them what to do in a situation like that. Seriously, people blame bullying but ignore when their children are actually acting out. Not every situation is the same, but actually stepping up and teaching your child lives are worth living, through good and bad, is a lot more important than trying to bristle and burn at people throwing around mean words.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Oh yes they can. Kids have committed sucide because of words. Its called Bullying.....

Just wanted to touch on this subject a bit but not to much to derail the thread any. If a kid commits suicide over what someone told them, then they were already mentally unstable, and that falls back onto the parents for not being pro-active in their lives. The parents need to be involved with their kid, not just set dinner on the table and go "how was your day" kids won't talk to their parents that way, if the parents isn't showing any interest.

Glad you all got the apology..
85 Tauren Paladin
Pardon my skepticism, but I find it difficult to shrug off an intolerant tirade as an "error in judgement". That's a cop out. NOT dropping slurs such as those used the offending video is standard practice in any business in this country, and how any of you, presumed paragons of the video game industry, were stupid enough to let this happen is completely beyond me. Presumably there are rules which prohibit such language between Blizzard employees. Apparently, extending the same courtesy to your customer base is not a priority.

Furthermore, I think it prudent to point out that were Sam Didier working in any other position at any other company in the world, he would have been fired in a heartbeat. I could only imagine the swift dismissal any one of us would receive were we to be seen next some homunculus putz who brazenly insults the greater portion of our employers' customers.

I'm not demanding anyone's job, but this is a template, soulless, corporate apology if I've ever read one in my life.

Too bad you don't work for blizzard, with all of your insight and wisdom.

I also make excellent cookies.

Seriously, people who actually took the corpsegrinder interview seriously need to stop playing games, and go read some books.

If this whole thing was a joke, then perhaps you could be a doll and elucidate to all of us hyper-sensitive types precisely what the punchline was. Seriously, what was the joke? At what, pray tell, were we supposed to be laughing?

If Corpsegrinder hadn't used words hurtful to homosexuals and instead used slurs which denigrate people of particular races, would you be so swift to defend Blizzard? I should think not.

When a ranking officer of a successful business is seen giggling like a schoolgirl next a homophobe, it is poor form. When said business plasters a video of the encounter on the big screen at the Anaheim Convention center, it is propagating hate speech, and no doubt breaking a number its internal Equal Opportunity rules, not to mention state and federal laws.

A template derivative-to-the-point-of-parody apology isn't going to make me feel better about the gaming company I love renting itself out as a megaphone for intolerance. I mean, come on. Morhaime practically used the "Corporate Apology" template included with Microsoft Word, and he didn't even have the stones to deliver it himself.

I remain unconvinced of his sincerity.
83 Gnome Warlock
Words can't hurt

The old adage Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me is true. Words have power only if the people that receive them give them power. I want to say right now I do not condone bullying of any type no matter what the reason behind it ever! But if a simple taunt can offend someone to the point of suicide then they need to get help and work out the issues that cause the words to hurt.

55 Dwarf Death Knight
I like that every post in this thread goes two ways:

1) "I appreciate this apology."

2) "this has absolutely nothing to do with me and I'm just mad you apologized to people who were upset even though I wasn't and it doesn't hurt me one bit for you to apologize. I don't understand that opinions and life experiences are different, but the next time you nerf my class I'll be back here crying and wondering why nobody is agreeing with me."

Try to ignore #2.
10 Human Warlock
I like that every post in this thread goes two ways:

1) "I appreciate this apology."

You forgot 3) look at the poster above you
100 Draenei Mage

The guy spewing homophobic slurs doesn't work for Blizzard. Unless I missed something.

Someone at Blizzard made the judgment call that that video was acceptable to play at Blizzcon. Their head will be fine, thanks.
100 Tauren Druid
10/27/2011 08:10 PMPosted by Burlyfish

Well then, keep a better eye on your children, teach them what to do in a situation like that. Seriously, people blame bullying but ignore when their children are actually acting out. Not every situation is the same, but actually stepping up and teaching your child lives are worth living, through good and bad, is a lot more important than trying to bristle and burn at people throwing around mean words.

10/27/2011 08:11 PMPosted by Karleia

Just wanted to touch on this subject a bit but not to much to derail the thread any. If a kid commits suicide over what someone told them, then they were already mentally unstable, and that falls back onto the parents for not being pro-active in their lives. The parents need to be involved with their kid, not just set dinner on the table and go "how was your day" kids won't talk to their parents that way, if the parents isn't showing any interest.

Glad you all got the apology..

Thanks for your expert psychological opinions.
90 Pandaren Mage
whoah... what I miss???

I'm not a frequent forums visitor but saw this on mmo-blue feed.
100 Undead Mage
Thank you for contacting the Blizzard Customer Base. For all future performances, Blizzcon or otherwise, please understand that we will report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Please view the Forums Code of Conduct if there are any questions.

We regret to inform you that due to your actions, we expect all members of L90ETC and any Blizzard staff involved in said incident to receive a three day temporary ban from battle.net. Should this behaviour continue then the punishment may escalate.

Thank you again for contacting us. We hope you continue to enjoy your experience in World of Warcraft!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]