An explanation of "The Blizzcon Lesbian"

85 Blood Elf Rogue
There's a long list of things that WoW doesn't have. It's not an oversight, or an intentional exclusion, I believe it has more to do with these things just not being in the story.

Or, there are same sex couples out there, and they just don't make a big fuss about it. An auctioneer, the blacksmith or anyone, who knows?

WoW is a fantasy game. It doesn't have to be you that is in the world, just the character you play. There's men playing female toons, women playing male toons and no shortage of humans playing as cows. See the world through their eyes, not your own.
28 Orc Warlock
10/23/2011 01:13 AMPosted by Curran
But... almost none of the NPC's say if they are homosexual or not, so is all just assumtions, and we all know what happens when you you assume! you make an a$$ out of u and me

Personally I just assume that every NPC is gay unless it's stated otherwise.

It makes for a much friendlier world. Much friendlier.
85 Blood Elf Mage
This is a computer game, children play it.

Now, let me start by saying im not homophobic. Nor am I against gay or lesbian relationships. If you are born gay, you're gay. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

HOWEVER

With today's media climate, more and more youngsters (im talking about 6/7/8/9/10/11/12 year olds) are pumped with so much confusion about sexual identity I don't think it would be appropiate to be advertising in wow.

'I kissed a girl and I like it' by whatever !@#$% sung it. Well, my 9 year old sings that and I ask her about what it means and she has no idea. It's dangerous.

I don't think wow or any other computer game/media is a place to promote or influence sexual identity. Let people grow up and identify things for themselves without having role models be their sole reasoning behind their decisions.

Just my 2 cents.

So basically, "influencing sexual identity" towards heterosexuality is just fine, but towards the other side is "dangerous".

We arent asking for two flaming queens to run around giggling and humping each other in public. We're asking for there to be a single relationship in which the characters just happen to be of the same gender.

You know, I think Koltira and Thassarian are gay. Same for that blood elf and draenei that go everywhere together (forgot their names). Oh, and that female nelf sentinel that keeps checking out that other one in Star's Rest in Dragonblight. There should be more gay characters though, I'd be fun!

PS: Theralion was totally gay too, (Fabulous Flames, Dazzling Destruction anyone?!?) he even drops his mirror!!

You know, we actually had an argument when she first mentioned wanting to ask the question, and I pointed out that there are a few places where the character could be assumed to be gay. But, as Curran pointed out, when you assume...

The reason she asked this question is, simply put, because no one else would.

Ya know why no one else would? Because no one cares. Ok, 2 of you do. The vast majority of players don't care about the sexuality of pixels.

We both feel a bit agitated with certain World Events catering solely to heterosexual players (such as Beer Goggles in brewfest showing all players as the opposite sex), but while the lack of homosexuality does make us feel a bit left out, we have continued to enjoy WoW for years.

Here's an idea, stop looking for reasons to be offended and ya might not be. The beer goggles have been explained by others. You and your gf got yourselves worked up over it without bothering to see what was really going on. This is why things like this are treated as a joke.

To end this little rant, thank you my Love for being brave and going through with your convictions. I miss you, and I cant wait for you to come back from California.

Please stop with this brave nonsense. This isn't the 50s. No one is brave for taking a gay stand at a nerd convention.
90 Troll Shaman
I'm fairly sure that there is a gnome related to the Sha'tari Skyguard faction that flirts with both male and female characters.
90 Orc Hunter
There are homosexual characters around, it's never over, never fully official, and has rarely been even close to the spotlight (a certain Twilight Drake being the closest to date, IIRC) but it is around.

Is it fair that it works like this? Heck no! But the story of WoW has been painted in, lets face it, rather large and bright colours - I can count the number of strong female characters on one hand, for example.
The complexity of introducing a character that is openly LGBT WITHOUT catering to pathetic stereotypes in order to get the point across is something people seem to be struggling with in the games industry as a whole. I'd love to see Blizzard manage to break that cycle, and, again, there ARE some characters that many of us have read that way already, but in the meantime it's easy to understand the choice to keep it background rather than risk offense.
90 Human Warlock
You know, we actually had an argument when she first mentioned wanting to ask the question, and I pointed out that there are a few places where the character could be assumed to be gay. But, as Curran pointed out, when you assume...

The Alliance Jewelcrafting Daily NPC is legit non-assumption lesbian.
56 Human Paladin
A Blood Elf. What a surprise. Anyway...

We both feel a bit agitated with certain World Events catering solely to heterosexual players (such as Beer Goggles in brewfest showing all players as the opposite sex)

As others have pointed out, you're flat out wrong about this. For the Alliance, it shows everyone as a GNOME MALE. That's because the NPC who gives you those goggles, a FEMALE GNOME, is attracted to male gnomes. You don't see Draenei, or Humans, or Night Elves, or Worgen, or Dwarves with those goggles. Just Gnome males. That you bring that up as an example proves that you're reaching just to complain.

And have you NOT met Tholo Whitehoof and Anren Shadowseeker in the Firelands, yet?
90 Human Paladin
Why does sexuality even need to be addressed in these kinds of games? All these "relationships that are seen in-game"? They're seen for 5-10 minutes, and then forgotten as you continue on with your daily grind of dailies, dungeons, and auctions. Until WoW becomes a dating sim, sexuality does not need to be brought up. For all we know, everyone on Azeroth is bisexual, but just have really, really bad luck with members of their own gender.
85 Blood Elf Mage

Please stop with this brave nonsense. This isn't the 50s. No one is brave for taking a gay stand at a nerd convention.

And yet, look at the lovely comments her question has provoked.

I'm not saying that I'll be lucky to have her back home because she's going to be lynched in the parking lot. But what she said was clearly unpopular with quite a few people, and not many would stand up and say what she said.
85 Blood Elf Rogue
10/23/2011 01:26 AMPosted by Ograthar
I'm fairly sure that there is a gnome related to the Sha'tari Skyguard faction that flirts with both male and female characters.

Which actually just made me realise, if I /flirt with a warlocks succubus, it puts a love heart above both our heads, even though we are the same gender.
90 Troll Hunter
It was my understanding that the alliance version of beer goggles made everyone a male gnome in his underwear, and the horde version made everyone a female orc in her underwear. Regardless of the gender of the person wearing them...

For instance, I'm a female troll, and I see female orcs. Doesn't seem heterosexual to me.

Furthermore, as another representation of homosexuality in WoW... I'm gonna site the quest "The Day Deathwing Came" in Badlands... at one point the player (controlling a male orc) has to choose a "hot babe" to jump on his motorcycle and ride with him... you're given a choice of male and female "babes" and can choose either.

Just sayin'...
85 Blood Elf Paladin
So basically, "influencing sexual identity" towards heterosexuality is just fine, but towards the other side is "dangerous".

We arent asking for two flaming queens to run around giggling and humping each other in public. We're asking for there to be a single relationship in which the characters just happen to be of the same gender.

Yes. I absolutely think it is. No I'm not religious. I don't believe gay is unnatural or to be shunned at BUT at the same time I don't believe its to be promoted either.

So, tell me why you think homosexuality it's something my 9 year old daughter should be seeing, understanding, interacting with and thinking about. Please tell me.

JUST OUT OF INTEREST -- I bet you'd complain if they included a gay relationship consisting of two guys and not featuring girls in any way. You'd feel even more excluded in Azeroth then right?
Edited by Bübble on 10/23/2011 1:32 AM PDT
90 Orc Shaman

The argument is also assuming that they're all straight, too.

Unless characters are a legitimate pair there isn't really anything more than assumption to go on, and there aren't many established pairings in WoW, certainly not a large enough sample to label them all straight...

Your sexual orientation shouldn't be your most defining and interesting feature, same goes for character design.

...I still think it would be neat though.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Hey Mina, I have some great advice for you.....

Go get some of your acronym friends and create YOUR OWN DAMN GAME. I am so sick and tired of you acronym's whining about everything under the sun. So what that you and your GF don't feel "included" in WoW. The majority of the world is heterosexual. In fact, the majority of mankind since the beginning of time has been heterosexual. If you don't like the fact that WoW is a majority heterosexual game, then DON'T PLAY IT. Also - quit forcing your frigging agenda down other peoples throats. Just live your life and !@#$ about it.

Way to be totally mature about it, fool. Its not like she was forcing her agenda at all. Its not like her gf said "I WANT LGBT CHARACTERS IN GAME NOW!" She simply asked a question about it.

No need to get all bent out of shape.
85 Blood Elf Mage
In regards to the beer goggles:

I've honestly never owned a pair. It was one of her arguments (according to her she saw everyone as male on her female orc warrior) so I apologize for the confusion.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]