Shaman 5.0 Level 90 "talents"

100 Pandaren Shaman
I realize none of the previews of the new talents are final but in case some are ideas Blizzard really wants to stick with I thought I might comment on a few.

There are two concerns I have with the level 90 talents that shaman are given the choice of. The first is the "feel" of the talents. I realize nowhere did anyone state that final talents have to have an epic feel to them, but that idea has been adopted by a large portion of the community and changes have been made because of that concern. All of the level 90 talents just don't feel very epic. The new totems we can choose at levels 30, 45, and 60 feel very epic. Stone Bulwark Totem is a polished Stoneclaw Totem that (hopefully) scales with the player. Windwalk and Tranquil Mind have so very interesting uses for PvE and Healing Tide Totem is a solution to one of the biggest concerns from Resto Shaman.

You get to Elemental Harmony which only feels epic if you can use two Fire totems which was specifically stated cannot happen. Tranquil Mind/Windwalk + Spirit Link Totem doesn't have a synergy at all. Healing Tide + Healing Stream only has nice synergy if the 5 lowest health party/raid members are in your group. About the only totems that aren't Fire that have synergy are Healing Stream and Mana Tide Totem which really isn't that much synergy it's just convenience, as is the same with any of the current buff totems.

Totemic Restoration I will say has an epic feel if you think about it. I've thought of various uses for this talent but I'll admit most are not likely the intended use. I thought of a use with Healing Tide but Endus at mmo-champion gave a better example with Spirit Link. Drop Spirit Link Totem just after Decimation Blade in the Baleroc encounter and stomp the totem after 1 sec. You just healed the tank to 50% (or more if heals land in that 1 second) and reduced the cooldown of Spirit Link from 180 seconds to 30 sec (6 sec duration/180 sec CD means 30 sec off the CD for every 1 sec wasted). Now you can use Spirit Link for every single Decimation Blade, and probably on a crystal tank taking all 25 stacks too. Very epic and OP.

Totemic Projection. This is actually my second problem with our level 90 talents. This should be baseline for all shaman. Honestly, I want a reason all shaman should not be able to relocate their totems without picking it as a talent. I honestly hope this is simply a placeholder for that third talent.

In summation, Elemental Harmony and Totemic Projection don't "feel" like level 90 talents unless EH is allowed to be used with Fire Totems and Totemic Projection should honestly have been made baseline since the alpha version of this entire game. If we've lived without Totemic Projection for this long, and EH doesn't have some decent applications, and Totemic Restoration has some incredibly amazing applications, there's no choice when it comes to which one to choose.
Reply Quote
11 Gnome Mage
I think the whole thing is going to depend on how well they design the new totem system. Since they got rid of all of the buff totems, they're obviously going to have to implement a lot of new totems (in addition to the few we get from talents that we know about, and the ones that are probably sticking around).

The way GC was talking in the class panel, it SEEMS like they're planning on totems being really cool - he basically said that the level 90 talents will be "super-powerful" talents that will be very hard to decide between.

Obviously if totems work like they do now... well... that's not exactly super-powerful. But imagine if we have totems that react to other things we do, like a totem that would pulse a healing aura around itself when we do damage. Or a totem that we could use to bounce spells off of to do damage while hiding out of line of sight. Or a totem that builds up power when it gets stuck inside AoE damage effects and shoots out a big burst of damage on the caster after a while.

If you had totems that were more like that, you might REALLY like the idea of being able to reposition them. Or maybe you'd really love to have 3 fire totems out at once.

In that respect, we're going to have to see. It seems like the success of the Shaman class in 5.0 is going to come down to how cool they manage to make the new totem system.
Edited by Strawberry on 10/24/2011 12:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Even if we don't get super cool totems like what Strawberry described above, I can think of some fun ways to play with Totemic Projection.

Got adds you need to kite that spawn from a distance? Drop Earthgrab Totem and then port it over to the spawning place without having to move. Mobs spawn, get rooted and slowed, and eventually get out of range of the totem. Project it into their path and slow them again. Hilarity ensues.

If you're Enhance and you have a squishy caster trying to run away from you, drop a Repulsion Totem and then port it in front of the running caster. Watch as he gets pushed backwards, into your axe (I don't actually know how well that would work, but it sounds hilarious in any case).

You can supplement your AoE as Elemental by dropping a Magma totem and porting it over to adds so you can do extra AoE without having to run into melee range. You can also reposition your Fire Ele and keep him from hitting the wrong target.

If you just dropped a Spirit Link or Mana Tide Totem and then had to run out of range right after, you can avoid wasting the last few ticks by teleporting it back you. Or drop a Healing Tide Totem and then project it into melee range to make sure that the tank and melee get it.

It seems like a very fun utility with a lot of potential.

Also, one big buff that Elemental Harmony gives is that it lets you have both Stoneclaw and Stone Bulwark Totem up at the same time, giving double shields and also protecting your SB Totem and other totems, which is nice.
Reply Quote
10/23/2011 07:12 PMPosted by Flintte
Also, one big buff that Elemental Harmony gives is that it lets you have both Stoneclaw and Stone Bulwark Totem up at the same time, giving double shields and also protecting your SB Totem and other totems, which is nice.

If we retain Stoneclaw and it's Glyph.

But I agree these cooldowns are completely totem based and we will have no idea how they will work until we get a fuller list of totems.
Perhaps when a totem goes on cooldown it will put the entire school on cooldown for that duration (like Stone Bulwark puts all Earth totems on a 1 min cooldown)? And then T-Harmony will remove the shared lockout and obviously that would make T-Restoration more powerful. I couldn't see them doing that and leaving totems with 5 health though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Honestly, tier 1 is the tier for the totem improvement mechanics.

Tier 6 should focus on new, fun, and interesting totems.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
As a raiding resto Shaman, I think tier 45 is the hardest to pick in the current setup. They don't really offer me something that I want. I guess I could pick Tranq Mind but I don't even think I would bind it for raids.

The other tiers have ones that I favor but would consider situational alternatives (Like taking Fortifying Waters for a fight like Chim or Rhyo).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I agree, I'll likely be taking Totem Launcher most of the time, which is pretty ho-hum for a LEVEL90! ability, though not every class has new and interesting level 90 talents. Rogues for example just get their pick of the current end-tree talents.

I'd really really like to see Spiritwalker's Grace as a talent in 5.0, and Astral Shift baseline, because I'm pretty sure I'm never going to not take Healing Tide (aka Hymn/Tranq) or Astral Shift (aka every other class's baseline osh*& cooldown), so these new talent choices too are welcome but pretty boring to me. What about a 'Fade' totem, since we're just copying other classes and putting it on a totem?
Edited by Mnevis on 10/24/2011 5:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Would you feel better if the last tier was swapped with a different tier?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Well, the OP can chime up on that suggestion himself, but personally, I can't disagree more about Tranquil Mind Totem and Glyphed Stoneclaw 2.0 feeling 'epic'. My reaction to a couple, like Astral Shift, was 'Woot, Finally', but nowhere was my reaction 'AWW HELL YEAHH!!'.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/24/2011 05:30 AMPosted by Merrissa
Would you feel better if the last tier was swapped with a different tier?

Honestly, being able to relocate totems doesn't feel like something we should have to talent into. It would be like forcing locks and hunters and the like to spend a talent point just to get "Move To" added to the pet bar. Or forcing us to spend a talent point to be able to drop more than one totem at a time.

Spending your last talent point on a quality of life change just seems a little underwhelming. Though to be perfectly fair, the other classes spend their last talent points to get back the abilities they have right now, so I guess it's underwhelming all around.
Reply Quote
89 Troll Shaman
PIE
I think the whole thing is going to depend on how well they design the new totem system. Since they got rid of all of the buff totems, they're obviously going to have to implement a lot of new totems (in addition to the few we get from talents that we know about, and the ones that are probably sticking around).

If they were to implement

The way GC was talking in the class panel, it SEEMS like they're planning on totems being really cool - he basically said that the level 90 talents will be "super-powerful" talents that will be very hard to decide between.

Obviously if totems work like they do now... well... that's not exactly super-powerful. But imagine if we have totems that react to other things we do, like a totem that would pulse a healing aura around itself when we do damage. Or a totem that we could use to bounce spells off of to do damage while hiding out of line of sight. Or a totem that builds up power when it gets stuck inside AoE damage effects and shoots out a big burst of damage on the caster after a while.

If you had totems that were more like that, you might REALLY like the idea of being able to reposition them. Or maybe you'd really love to have 3 fire totems out at once.

With the way they are making the statues work for the new monk class (Like the three healing ones that heal anyone near it when they do damage - or something like that), I have sort of high hopes we'll get something along those lines. Of course, not exactly the same (cause then, what would be the point?) but it sounds like they are going to be adding mechanics that were previously unavailable.

Personally, I am holding all my love/hate for how this new talent system will work for when they show us what they are doing with the totems we already have and how they will work as buffs instead of things on the ground. Obviously straight buff totems like Strength of Earth or Wrath of Air would be easy to just turn into a straight buff we give out ourselves, others like searing totem (which doesn't have a CD, but is sort of important to enhancement) or healing stream (which is getting completely replaced by Healing Tide?) would either have to be reworked, or just remain the same.

Edited by Allenby on 10/24/2011 7:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]