(Locked)

80 Human Paladin
10/27/2011 03:38 PMPosted by Wixie
Look I'm gay, and I could tell it was a joke,

Thanks for sharing but I don't care.

It was wrong.
85 Night Elf Druid
10/27/2011 03:44 PMPosted by Sobralia
Now, I have, in the past, used terms like "gay" to describe something that had occurred. Like "Man I just got ganked by a higher level.. how gay."

Casual use of a slur. How charming! Next you're going to say it doesn't really mean you were calling your opponent homosexual.

But that's just another way of me saying "lame". In that context, it would be really weird to put your literal perspective on things and turn my words into "Man, I just got ganked by a higher level.. how dare that person put me in this homosexual position."

But... that is what you are saying. That is what the word means. People didn't just randomly decide for no reason to use the word 'gay' as a putdown. It has a long history of being used to put down your opponent. It is a way of making someone a little less human in your eyes. An offensive word doesn't become magically un-offensive because you don't mean it offensively.

BTW it's not okay to casually call events or people that annoy you "lame" either.

If you absolutely *need* to put down your opponent, there's no shortage of words that have no history of use as a slur you could use instead. "Jerk," "d-bag," "a-hole," perfectly punchy putdowns that don't insult anyone but the person you mean to insult.

The word "gay" also means to be happy.

The exact definitions at any point in time are irrelevant, as context is key.

Also, "lame" means unable to walk.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Just doing their job"? This gets closer to Godwin territory with every post.Right and wrong doesn't end with a paycheck.

Going around the chain of command is a sure way to find your self unemployed!
6 Draenei Paladin
10/27/2011 02:44 PMPosted by Wolveriene
Has nothing to do with the alliance or horde.

I'm curious why your upset. Nerd rage was directed at alliance. The problem has nothing to do with alliance or horde. So then that means there is no source of the problem, therefore no problem. But you keep citing the nerd rage as the problem.
80 Human Paladin
10/27/2011 03:45 PMPosted by Cramer
We do use those words, so....umad princess?

Please expand on that. Sounds like you were off to a brilliant start.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Who cares if he called the Alliance " Ga* " he didn't literally mean they were all a bunch of homosexuals... It's used just like when you say something " Sucks " or is " Dumb ". That's just how it is these days... You guys need to deal with it and stop QQing about. Obama supports Homosexuals so why do you even care if he actually DID call them Ga*? lol. I understand that this is a serious problem for some people, but if you are literally Homosexual, then why should you be offended? Shouldn't you be proud of being Ga*? I think people just look for any reason to start drama or QQ about something.
10 Human Warlock
But... that is what you are saying. That is what the word means. People didn't just randomly decide for no reason to use the word 'gay' as a putdown. It has a long history

Exactly, the word gay has a long history. It wasn't origionally a homosexual term. Are you offended when you hear the song "Deck the Halls" ?

Watch some of the older movies, they are always saying something is gay, and they don't mean homosexual.

You have no right to tell others what they mean when they use a slang word, you aren't inside their heads and have no clue what they are thinking.

80 Human Paladin
The word "gay" also means to be happy.

The exact definitions at any point in time are irrelevant, as context is key.

Also, "lame" means unable to walk.

Are you in this century?

Nice try though.

*cough*

18 Gnome Warlock
Man, look, why are you even playing MMO's when you know it's a problem in the community that has NOT abated, that even LGBT activist grps will not touch or have had ZERO success in quashing?
IT's not going to happen. You are not going to see this company fold into micro managing every players mouth.
YOU Care more then most of the people. Make a poll, Do the people who say crap like, " thats gay" actually see gays as BAD like they use the word. I bet you will see most don't care/don't.

If it's that big of a deal, be an american and observe your rite to sue them for pissing you off, because that is the only way YOU are going to affect change for what you think is your community
80 Human Paladin
10/27/2011 03:49 PMPosted by Zephryn
Who cares if he called the Alliance " Ga* " he didn't literally mean they were all a bunch of homosexuals... It's used just like when you say something " Sucks " or is " Dumb ". That's just how it is these days... You guys need to deal with it and stop QQing about. Obama supports Homosexuals so why do you even care if he actually DID call them Ga*? lol. I understand that this is a serious problem for some people, but if you are literally Homosexual, then why should you be offended? Shouldn't you be proud of being Ga*? I think people just look for any reason to start drama or QQ about something.

Try punctuation.

That whole blob of letters was lost on me.
85 Night Elf Druid
I give up.

You people are obviously looking to get offended, and nothing I (or Blizzard, for that matter) could possibly say will dissuade you.

But I guess I'll summarize one last time for all you stubborn people out there, in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, you'll understand the words that I am trying to say.

They're explaining that it's a joke, and not supposed to be taken seriously because it is.

This isn't a "umadbro?" sort of thing, and they aren't laughing at you. Neither am I.

They understand that the joke wasn't funny. And offended a ton of people.

They aren't saying, "it's a joke, brah, lighten up," they're saying that everything L90ETC does is facetious, because the entire band is a joke. Apparently that offends you beyond reason.

you've made it abundantly clear that the reason you're offended constantly changes. "not a real apology," when I ask for specifics, becomes "they're saying sorry that people got offended" which, when I point out is not what text says, goes to "they're saying it's a joke"

Which it is.

A joke gone bad.

I'm not saying that to belittle you, and neither are they.

It's no different than if they put a Hitler 'stashe on Varian.

Except that would actually be funny.

Which, again, this wasn't.

And they Apologized.

Which isn't good enough, because they said it was all a joke.

Which it was.

And now I'm going in circles.

Peace, people, I've got an MMO to play.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/27/2011 02:45 PMPosted by Angerthas
Businesswise, you couldn't have done something more terrible to help Blizzard's competitors than this episode. I've owned every Blizzard product since Orcs and Humans and I couldn't be more disappointed in the company right now.

They could've said that homosexuality doesn't exist in the Warcraft universe.

*points at SW:TOR*

I don't want to be that guy, but if you are trying to compare it to trade chat, you can mute the livestream and the video they showed on stage was censored anyway, so you wouldn't really have been able to tell the exact nature of the insults without seeking out an uncensored version and listening to it intentionally.

It doesn't mean they were right, in fact they were definitely wrong to show that video.

I'm just saying that, when I try to put myself into their shoes, I can understand how it happened. Maybe I shouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt, but that's just my nature.

I see it happening more like, "Dude, Corpsegrinder is going to be at Blizzcon! He should play with us on stage. Cannibal Corpse is badass!" "Yes. Oh, man, we could put up that video from years back, it'll be like bleep bleep bleeeping Alliance bleeps!" "Hah, yeah! For the Horde, right?"

It was obviously poorly thought out, and someone should've had the sense to nix it before it was aired, but I can genuinely see how it could've been meant as a silly video of a guy unleashing a bleep storm.

Like I said, it's in my nature to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I sincerely doubt that they were like, "Oh, man, this is so offensive to homosexuals and Alliance players! We should totally try and make them commit suicide!"

However, if that's how you interpret the situation, or if you likewise interpret the apology as insencere, that's your business.

I'm not good at holding grudges, and I certainly can't find it in myself to hold a grudge when my homosexual or Alliance-playing friends, even my mother who exclusively plays Alliance characters, could care less about that the comments and think they're being blown out of proportion.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Are you that dumb that you can't comprehend what someone's saying even if they don't use Punctuation? haha. pathetic.
85 Orc Rogue
10/27/2011 03:49 PMPosted by Zephryn
It's used just like when you say something " Sucks " or is " Dumb ". That's just how it is these days... You guys need to deal with it and stop QQing about.

No. No, what needs to happen is that dudebros need to stop using words like 'f*gg*t' as a way of casually insulting someone else. It is not acceptable.

If it's a difficult concept, spend some time here:
http://www.itgetsbetter.org/
80 Human Paladin
You people are obviously looking to get offended, and nothing I (or Blizzard, for that matter)could possibly say will dissuade you.

Correct.

You did not cause the original offense, and you are just taking up space in this thread.

Let Blizzard respond to those who were offended and please (for the love of God) step aside and stop cluttering up the joint with your irrelevant blather.
Edited by Matalan on 10/27/2011 3:55 PM PDT
10 Human Warlock
10/27/2011 03:55 PMPosted by Matalan
Let Blizzard respond to those who were offended

They did.
6 Draenei Paladin
Its not the fact that the video exists. Or the language used. Its the fact that the person in it used that language deeming himself a bigot, with bigoted hate speech in tow. This person was lauded, praise, invited, and even paraded in front of folks AT AN OFFICIAL BLIZZARD EVENT WITH AN OFFICIAL SPOT IN THAT EVENT.

Therefore we had concluded that blizzard now supports bigotry and bias against gays and emos.

Whats more, is we WANT to be proven wrong but recordings dont lie.

If that is your problem, then it is based on your opinion, which can neither prove right nor wrong. You have no basis to say anything wrong was done.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]